mlr-style chopping with maschine?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: mlr-style chopping with maschine?

Post by starving student » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:26 am

But you still can't capture your performance and be able to edit it later in maschine without jumping through some ridiculous hoops. I hate it when you have to trick an app to do something that should be part of the apps primary function, maschine sucks so bad in this regard.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 am

well.. it depends on how you look at it..
maschine is a very robust drum machine vst.. I like it for what it is... :)
still it can't do seemingly simple things.. (like record 'mute' automation)

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:13 am

If I was only using it for drums, I think I'd be satisfied, but I like to sketch out entire tunes on it,and NI seem to have left out things for no reason... I never even knew what mlr style beat chopping was, but now I do, I can see how cool that would be in Maschine... :idea: :D

panten

Post by panten » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:22 am

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I chose Push over Maschine tbh. With nativeKontrol's PXT-Live it gives you multiple ways of doing mlr-style chopping, with one mode also allowing you to choose loop length and location on-the-fly.

Even default Push allows a bit of bar chopping on drum Rack mode in the lower Right Quadrant. Hitting different pads will juggle between different bars of your beat, each one picking up where the last one left off.

Sorry to make this about Push but I spent a long time debating which to get.
This post was made under the shadow of humnumb.

molefonken

Post by molefonken » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 pm

panten wrote:This is one of the reasons I'm glad I chose Push over Maschine tbh. With nativeKontrol's PXT-Live it gives you multiple ways of doing mlr-style chopping, with one mode also allowing you to choose loop length and location on-the-fly.

Even default Push allows a bit of bar chopping on drum Rack mode in the lower Right Quadrant. Hitting different pads will juggle between different bars of your beat, each one picking up where the last one left off.

Sorry to make this about Push but I spent a long time debating which to get.
This post was made under the shadow of humnumb.
I also decided to push. How do you chop like your saying with PXT? Could you please explain for me?

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:34 pm

sorry but can someone explain what "MLR-style" is? I tried googling but couldn't find anything? Maybe I know the method but just never knew the name?

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Youtube monome mlr

Every row is it's own clip and the column sets the start point of the clip and then you also have extra playing options for each clip as well. It's originally a max-patch for the monome.

Seems like it would be lame on a 4x4 matrix imo. Whether it was a clip per row or 1 clip for all 16...
ImageImage

panten

Post by panten » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:49 pm

@nuxnamon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EedUSjtIuzs The first 25 seconds seems to be what this is all about.

@molefonken. If you have Push & PXT-Live in front of you; enter PXT-Live mode > press Session > press Add Track and you'll be in what the manual describes as 'Clip Play Mode - Mono Sub-Mode'

This mode is split two 8x4 grids.
Red walking pad at the top - mlr-Style Clip Chopping.
Green pads at the bottom - Clip loop control

The White flashing 'State Control' pads indicate metronomy.

This is the personally my favourite, most useful mode in PXT-Live. The whole thing works with the 'Grid Section' buttons i.e 1/16 on the right side to keep the timing.

Great for resampling beat juggling goodness.

Have fun.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:16 am

Is that available on LPC-Ditto or LPC-Live?
Any yt videos of it on push?
ImageImage

panten

Post by panten » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:21 am

I believe Stray is in the middle of moving house right now, but he has mentioned that he has a series of videos in the works.

molefonken

Post by molefonken » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks panten. Will try that out when I come home. Looks usefull.

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am

panten wrote:If you have Push & PXT-Live in front of you; enter PXT-Live mode > press Session > press Add Track and you'll be in what the manual describes as 'Clip Play Mode - Mono Sub-Mode'

This mode is split two 8x4 grids.
Red walking pad at the top - mlr-Style Clip Chopping.
Green pads at the bottom - Clip loop control

The White flashing 'State Control' pads indicate metronomy.

This is the personally my favourite, most useful mode in PXT-Live. The whole thing works with the 'Grid Section' buttons i.e 1/16 on the right side to keep the timing.

Great for resampling beat juggling goodness.

Have fun.
Yeah, and best part is you can hit "Shift + Rec (arrangement record) " record your chopping/juggling in realtime and "cmd + g (in arrangement view) " to join your stuff and back to session view.
panten wrote:Even default Push allows a bit of bar chopping on drum Rack mode in the lower Right Quadrant.

You can also record this to arrangement! Great to get some variations. It´s like a "song mode" while the "Right Quadrant" are the patterns. No PXT needed.

Really great to get breaks/new loops.

PS: Although Push is a great tool out-of-box PXT "push" it to the limit :D it is instant fun! (sorry for the hype)

Have Fun!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:43 pm

As much as push is better or ableton in general for that matter is way better than maschine for anything monome-ish...... Maschine is way better than ableton for sample chopping and mangling and that's even when taking drum racks into consideration. The ease and simplicity of access too sample slicing and manipulation with which maschine offers is almost unfair to even compare to live, this is why maschine and live make such a good combo, but still I'd like for maschine to have the monome abilities to and on the same level as its sampling abilities.
Last edited by starving student on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:14 pm

starving student wrote:As much as push is better or ableton in general for that matter is way better than maschine for anything monome-ish...... Maschine is way better than ableton for sample chopping and mangling and that's even when taking drum racks into consideration. The ease and simplicity of access to sample slicing and manipulation with which maschine offers is almost unfair to even compare to live, this is why maschine and live make such a good combo, but still I'd like for maschine to have the monome abilities to and on the same level as its sampling abilities.
This

akaratz

Post by akaratz » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:29 am

I will bump this up. With this video:
http://youtu.be/oAPh4Sa-Q7I