How to automate the midi input type?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alberto877

How to automate the midi input type?

Post by Alberto877 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:01 pm

I've been trying to find a solutions but I cant find anything about the subject.

It trying to automate the Midi input type. The purpose of this is for a live performance. for example:
2 performers on stage 2 different midi controllers.
I want to be able to switch between different midi tracks with each Keyboard playing the bass track with one keyboard to playing a synth track etc..... and I can not have my midi instruments on "all" ins" because a lot of times we have to play different tracks at the same time.

Appreciate any help!!!!!

regretfullySaid

Re: How to automate the midi input type?

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 pm

This can be customized via max for live but most likely the switch will not be instant (it might depend on how many inouts you have) or maybe that's ok. Maybe the if you're what you're switching to is always in the same order it woud help.

Actually I think you can do this with Clyphx as well.
ImageImage

Alberto877

Post by Alberto877 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks so much!

Do you have any idea where can I find a Max for live device that can do the changes??

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am

Most MIDI controllers allow you to configure control maps, and save them as a preset within the controller. Create a bunch of controller presets, which are configured and mapped to a Live track's unique MIDI input port and channel.

Use a multi-port MIDI interface that has routing/merging capabilities, or use a MIDI merge box to a single MIDI interface.

That setup puts *you* in control of what you're playing, rather than a MFL plugin.

Alberto877

Post by Alberto877 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 am

That is the first thing that I thought but then I need to manually change the preset on the midi keyboard and sometimes I just dont have the time to change it. Is there a way to automate ableton to make my midi kayboards change. with out me doing it manually?

Thanks so much!!!

outsidesys wrote:Most MIDI controllers allow you to configure control maps, and save them as a preset within the controller. Create a bunch of controller presets, which are configured and mapped to a Live track's unique MIDI input port and channel.

Use a multi-port MIDI interface that has routing/merging capabilities, or use a MIDI merge box to a single MIDI interface.

That setup puts *you* in control of what you're playing, rather than a MFL plugin.