Tempo Nudge functionality on Push

Discuss Push with other users.
locojohn

Tempo Nudge functionality on Push

Post by locojohn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:16 am

As many of us know, there are convenient Tempo Nudge buttons on the APC 40, which let us to synchronise to external beat (turntables, for example) while playing/DJing live. For that you just press and hold the Nudge - or Nudge + buttons, to slightly slow down or speed up the global tempo.

Big question: will this functionality be also available on Push? Would it be possible to implement it for the Left Arrow and Right Arrow buttons the same way, for example? Or with Shift pressed, alternatively?

Kind regards,

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

re:dream

Re: Tempo Nudge functionality on Push

Post by re:dream » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 am

+1

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 am

I couldn't find it either so

+1

WISH1

Post by WISH1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:37 pm

+1

panten

Post by panten » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:34 pm

can't you do this with the dedicated Tempo Encoder? It's notched and seems pretty easy to nudge the tempo up and down by 1. I think Shift + Tempo changes it by smaller increments.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:18 pm

panten wrote:can't you do this with the dedicated Tempo Encoder? It's notched and seems pretty easy to nudge the tempo up and down by 1. I think Shift + Tempo changes it by smaller increments.
Panten, the Tempo encoder changes the tempo, it's a different action and doesn't work when you try to synchronise an external beat from turntables. You may try it out to see that it doesn't work the same way. On APC, Nudge means slight speed up or slow down for as long as you hold the respective key down (pretty much like when you're DJing and slow down/speed up the vinyl slightly to find the right spot or to stay in sync), but the global tempo does not change once you release the button. With some practicing, the nudge action helps to be in a good sync. With manual tempo adjustments it would not work the same way.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

panten

Post by panten » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:50 pm

Ah I gotcha, in that case +1. I can see that being very useful in certain circumstances.

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 pm

If Ableton could let the tempo control act like an SL1200 pitch for every track(so not as a global tempo), with a key combination for example.. that would be brilliant.

Back in the days, beatmatching without touching the platter was for the real heroes :P

Tone

Post by Tone » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:22 am

this is a must have for people who need to sync Live, live with a band or another dj.
+1
MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 i7 quad, 16 gb ram, OS X 10.10.2, Live 9.6, PUSH II
https://soundcloud.com/nitepeople

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 am

For people who need this function right now, don't forget that you can simply midi map the nudge buttons in User mode:

- press User button on Push
- click MIDI in Live
- click - nudge button in Live
- press left arrow button on Push
- click + nudge button in Live
- press right arrow button on Push
- click MIDI in Live again to leave midi mapping mode and you're ready to go
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 am

Because789 wrote:For people who need this function right now, don't forget that you can simply midi map the nudge buttons in User mode:
Yes, or bring along APC 40 too, which has those buttons hehe.

I still hope we will be heard by Jesse and the mighty crew behind new Push developments ;)

Push can then be used as a powerful tool for beat making live on stage accompanying the DJ on turntables, a live band or whatever.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:15 am

locojohn wrote:Yes, or bring along APC 40 too, which has those buttons hehe.
Exactly :)

But I think that's also the reason why nudge buttons or record to arrangement aren't implemented, making the APC40 completely redundant is probably not Ableton's first goal. We'll see what the future brings.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 am

+100 on this, I used Ableton in a DJ/Live set situation, it was terrible, I ended up by play real time.

danktle

Post by danktle » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:55 pm

I can't believe this isn't a feature on Push. I love this device, but they could have done SO much more with the implementation.

I have been playing around with Gridlock (M4L), but it's an uphill battle to get it working since my system (PC/Core i7 3770K/Win8 x64) doesn't want to play nice with MIDI loopback :(

Anyway, FWIW you can map tempo nudge to whatever button you'd like using something like Gridlock, etc. Heck, that's about the ONLY reason I would be looking at custom midi mapping functionality. Most everything else about Push is pretty dang sweet otherwise...

bobbyduracel

Post by bobbyduracel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:59 pm

I actually had it mapped in user mode on my push 2 awhile back and now it’s not working. The mapping is also not working (assigning user mode). Perhaps a bug?

It’s great on my APC40 but if I could retain the function on push 2 I could skip the extra controller in many situations.
#livefullycharged