M4L and Live's development path

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

M4L and Live's development path

Post by re:dream » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am

It is interesting to see the effect Max has on Live's development.

In the last few months we've seen a couple of examples where longstanding feature requests not incorporated by Live end up being dealt with through M4L 'hacks'. Obvious examples are scene follow actions viewtopic.php?p=1544517#p1544517 and dual monitor support viewtopic.php?f=35&t=193223&start=0; I am sure there are more.

Not necessarily a bad thing. If M4L were to become part of Live's development path in this way, it would mean that Live's developers could concentrate on core features, while more specialized things (nice to haves for most, essential for some) are implemented through M4L.

What do ppl think?

tone61

Re: M4L and Live's development path

Post by tone61 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Now that M4L is part of Live9 Suite, don't you think this has already happened?

Ableton included several very useful M4L devices like LFO and Convolution Reverb.
More users have access to M4L and new kind of devices are added all the time.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Yup.

If so, it has interesting implications for future feature requests from Live. If M4L can add so much functionality, the pressure for interesting features will be handled by M4L, and improvements to Live itself can function on core platform issues.

Such as:

- Getting back to pre- Live 8 levels of stability - especially wrt to the many cases where Max causes crashes (!)
- Improving Push functionality and integration
- Plugin Delay Compensation! Which I assume is well outside the ambit of M4L
- Da browser.

triant

Post by triant » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm

yeah, i definitely got this sense when M4L was first introduced, but didn't know for sure until they decided to bundle M4L with the suite.

i think the main thing that might prevent M4L becoming more deeply integrated with live is the fact that, even though it's orders of magnitude more popular by its inclusion in the suite, it's still not in EVERY edition of live. and i could see it (potentially) being a bad move on ableton's part to include it with all versions of live, since the availability of its myriad freely distributed live-integrated instruments and effects could seriously reduce the need to pay for such things as Analog and Tension and what-have-you. M4L, as far as i'm concerned, is the main reason to buy the suite!

but yeah, the direction they've taken with M4L in live 9 clearly suggests a growing intimacy between live and max. i scarcely use max without live anymore, or live without max. can't wait to see where they take it next.

(sadly, better documentation does not look to be a likely next step ;P)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:33 pm

triant wrote:(sadly, better documentation does not look to be a likely next step ;P)
Yet I find the Max documentation extremely informative and easy to use.