PLease provide a list of abletons no -latency plug ins?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

PLease provide a list of abletons no -latency plug ins?

Post by morerecords » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:38 am

I am sequencing hardware synths alongside drum samples from simplers, and I've determined the best way to do this is simply not to use any latency-inducing plug ins whatsoever until I'm done tracking and the tune is ready to be mixed-

But to add some flavor in the mix while writing-Which plug ins in are actually ZERO LATENCY? Is compressor if there is 0ms look ahead? Auto filter? Any third party AUs or VST actually zero latency?
Thanks!

luddy

Re: PLease provide a list of abletons no -latency plug ins?

Post by luddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that unless the plug-in has an explicit lookahead parameter -- like the limiter or compressor -- then you can safely assume that it has zero samples of latency.

The only exceptions I can imagine offhand would be the EQ in high-quality mode (that is, if the high-quality EQ is a linear EQ) or the vocoder. Those might use FFTs, which ordinarily require some windowing and therefore latency.

So: basically comp and limiter when the lookahead is not set to 0 ms; and possibly the
EQ in high quality mode, and the vocoder.

That's just a guess of course, I haven't tried to measure the plugs' latencies.

-Luddy

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks. There was a page in the manual about this, but maybe it was removed,.. I can't find it again. I think any effect in hi-quality mode has latency also.... Can't remember....
Anyone?

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 am

bump.