Easy to miss Push features

Discuss Push with other users.
Because789

Easy to miss Push features

Post by Because789 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 am

Here's a list of easy to miss/forget Push features separated by their modifier button (applies to Live 9.1). Please post combinations you think are worth to include in the OP.

Accent

- activate Accent while in Note mode and all playing you do will be at a higher velocity in real time (not only in Step Sequencer mode)

Delete

- hold Delete + touch an encoder to delete automation controlled by that encoder
- hold Delete + Automation button to delete all automation in a clip
- hold Delete + press a clip to delete that clip (Session mode)
- hold Delete + select a device or track with Push’s Selection Control buttons to delete
- hold Delete + press a drum rack pad or a note in instrument mode to delete all the notes in that pitch from the clip (not in Melodic Step Sequencer mode)

Duplicate

- hold Duplicate + select a track with Push’s Selection Control buttons to duplicate
- hold Duplicate + press a clip to duplicate that clip (Session mode, it only works if there is an empty slot right below the clip you want to duplicate)

Mute/Solo

- hold Mute + pressing a step to deactivate it without deleting it (Drum/Melodic Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Mute + insert a new step to insert a muted step (Drum/Melodic Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Mute or Solo + Drum Rack pad to mute or solo that pad (Drum Step Sequencer mode)

Select

- hold Select + Drum Rack pad to select its notes without triggering the pad (Drum Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Select + a clip to select the clip without launching it (Session mode)
- hold Select + Drum Rack pad, while still holding the pad release the Select button and you can adjust Nudge, Note Length and Velocity for all steps corresponding to that pad (Drum Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Select + Drum Rack pad, while still holding the pad release the Select button and press Mute to deactivate all steps of the corresponding pad (Drum Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Select + a playing clip will show the time remaining on the playing clip until you let go Select (Session mode/Clip mode)

Session

- hold Session while in Note mode to switch temporarily to Session mode (allowing you to launch clips then release the Session button to jump straight back into Note mode)
--> Many of the buttons on Push function this way, namely the Accent button, the Scale button and all of the Encoder mode buttons. If pressed quickly, they will toggle on/off. If held down, they function momentarily.

Shift

- hold Shift + touch strip or Octave keys to move Drum Rack pads by single rows (Drum Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Shift while in Scales mode allows you to access a number of additional note layout options
- hold Shift + Automation button to re-enable all automation that you have manually overridden
- hold Shift + Stop (below Master button) to stop all clips (Note/Session mode)
- hold Shift + hitting Up or Down arrow keys/Octave Up and Down buttons to move eight scenes up or down (Session mode)
- hold Shift + hitting Left or Right arrow keys to move eight tracks at a time (Session mode)
- hold Shift while in Session mode and the pad grid zooms out to reveal an overview of your Session View (in the Session Overview, each pad represents an eight-scene-by-eight-track block of clips)
- hold Shift while in Session mode and each scene launch button represents a block of 64 scenes
- hold Shift + Add Effect to add a new device (instrument or midi effect) to the LEFT of the currently selected device (use In and Out buttons to select the device)
- hold Shift + Master volume knob to adjust Pre-Cue volume
- hold Shift + Tempo knob to set the tempo in increments of .1 BPM
- hold Shift + Undo to Redo
- hold Shift + Play/Stop return Live’s transport to 1.1.1 without starting playback
- hold Shift + track selection control buttons to arm multiple tracks (Note/Session mode)
- hold Shift + selection control buttons to move quickly through the browser (Browser mode)
- hold Shift + encoder to fine adjust a parameter, depending on the mode (Clip/Device/Track) sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just try

User

- hold User button to adjust the sensitivity of Push’s velocity response and other settings (note: this didn't work in 9.0, the DVD version, if you don't get the menue update to the latest Live version)

Additional tips

- In Session mode, pressing Stop turns all Select Control switches that contain clips to red stop buttons (Track mode, additional infos here: viewtopic.php?p=1547117#p1547117)

- Since Live 9.1 you can select a single segment in the two Step Sequencer modes to edit it while the whole loop is playing (check this article for a detailed explanation: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/push-loop-playhead/). Keep in mind anyway that you could also duplicate the clip with the loop, go to Session mode, select the clip which is not playing (hold Select + press clip), go back to Step Sequencer mode an edit the clip while the duplicated one is playing.
Last edited by Because789 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:53 am, edited 12 times in total.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

re:dream

Re: Easy to miss Push features

Post by re:dream » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 am

Awesome. Thank you so much!

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 pm

The Finn wrote:Awesome. Thank you so much!
You're welcome :)

Added to OP:

- hold Shift + track selection control buttons to arm multiple tracks (Session mode)
- hold Shift + selection control buttons to move quickly through the browser (Browser mode)
- hold Shift + encoder to fine adjust a parameter, depending on the mode (Clip/Device/Track) sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just try
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:28 pm

Hold select + a drum rack pad. Now while still holding the drum rack pad, release the select button and you can adjust the note length, velocity etc for all steps corresponding to that particular pad. I use this all the time.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

manutech

Post by manutech » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Useful list.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Is it possible to duplicate a drum pad to another pad?

I can't find out how to do this.

*mumbles about how easy it is to do this in Maschine* :roll:

panten

Post by panten » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:24 am

Citizen: Pretty easy. Hold Duplicate + Drum Rack pad then push another pad. If there's already something on the destination pad they will swap.

p.s. Because789 don't add this one..yet

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:38 am

- hold Shift + Stop to stop all clips (Session mode)

I must be doing something wrong. This does not work, implying that the "stop" button is the play button also (which it is in most contexts). I used this function a lot with the APC40 (stop all clips button). At present I'm still using the APC40 for just this one function, I'd like to do this with the Push.

I'm sure once someone informs me what I'm doing wrong I'll punch myself into the earth to never utter another word.

Thanks in advance

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:38 am

I don't know what Stop is either, I don't have that button.

Here's one, with Accent engaged, all the playing you do in Note mode will be at a higher velocity. It works in real time, not just for the notes you press in the drum rack sequencer.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:06 am

Sticky this and get rid of the famous people who use thread... 8)

panten

Post by panten » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 am

@tedlogan & Tarekith - If you look at your manual under the 'Chapter 27 Using Push' section. The STOP button is located in the State Control Section. On the Right hand side (Left of Mute & Solo)

Because789

Post by Because789 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for the contributions guys, will update OP soon!
tedlogan wrote:- hold Shift + Stop to stop all clips (Session mode)

I must be doing something wrong. This does not work, implying that the "stop" button is the play button also (which it is in most contexts).
There is a dedicated Stop button just below the Master button, to the right of the State Control buttons. Most of the time he is no lit, but when you are in session mode and you press/hold Shift, he gets red and you can use it to stop all clips.

Oh, I just realised that it works in Note mode too.

M4L

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks guys. :oops:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks, read the manual but must have missed that.

Bin ray

Post by Bin ray » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Hold select, then a drum pad, then mute. Deactivates all midi notes for that drum, v useful for live muting.