Push - 4 days in

Discuss Push with other users.
Tarekith

Push - 4 days in

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:11 pm

More thoughts after spending the last 4 days using Push non-stop.

http://tarekith.com/push-part-2/

bytheriver

Re: Push - 4 days in

Post by bytheriver » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:20 pm

I posted this on your blog, but I thought I'd stick it here for the benefit of any other forum people:

How do you organise your samples/drum kits and drum tracks?
I've been playing with having a different channel and rack for each type of sound, so a snare rack and channel, kick, hats etc.
Then I've made drum racks with all the kicks/hats/snares etc from all my sample librarys.

deva

Post by deva » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Tarekith wrote:More thoughts after spending the last 4 days using Push non-stop.

http://tarekith.com/push-part-2/
This about mirrors my own assessment. I find myself very happy with the selection of controls that Ableton made.

+1 on the save project option.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:56 pm

bytheriver wrote:I posted this on your blog, but I thought I'd stick it here for the benefit of any other forum people:

How do you organise your samples/drum kits and drum tracks?
I've been playing with having a different channel and rack for each type of sound, so a snare rack and channel, kick, hats etc.
Then I've made drum racks with all the kicks/hats/snares etc from all my sample librarys.
At the moment I'm not using my own samples, and with Push I'm not sure I will. I like the all in one aspect of having everything in the same app and done by the same people. Far less issues to worry about, and it's nice to push myself to use something different now and then too.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Tarekith, I know exactly what you're talking about - this piece of kit is well worth the purchase.

"I’m laying awake at night thinking about new ways to use it, and excited to get in the studio and mess around with it some more. And this after more or less learning it inside and out, so now my time now is just spent using it the way it was intended." - same with me. I'm obsessed with it.

It's.....NEW

robinez

Post by robinez » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:12 am

good blog post, one thing i missed in your blog post and i think people should know is that it's not possible to edit melodies in note mode. So when you create a song then you have to play the melodies in note mode without any mistakes otherwise you need to delete the clip and play it again. Especially for more difficult type of melodies this disturbes the workflow.
My latest push demo on youtube: Try Out Live Set Trance Classics

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Good point, hopefully that gets addressed soon :)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm

when you load up a song next time, there’s no way to see what scale you were using, so time is spent figuring it out manually
Yup.

How would you deal with this, though?

There needs to be a way in which Push tells live what the scale is, and vice versa. So that Live saves scale information in a MIDI clip.

That creates a whole range of issues. What would happen when you record something with any other MIDI keyboard? Scale is undefined? Scale is assigned? Scale is inferred?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't see why it couldn't just be stored as a note somewhere in the project, since we can add notes for just about everything in Live since version 7. I've submitted it as a feature request, let's see what happens :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm

It would be nice if there was a PUSH Configuration tab that came up in Preferences which have you all sorts of options like color and stuff. But the tab only shows up when Push is connected.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm

That's a pretty interesting idea!

deva

Post by deva » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Tarekith wrote:I don't see why it couldn't just be stored as a note somewhere in the project, since we can add notes for just about everything in Live since version 7. I've submitted it as a feature request, let's see what happens :)
That does not help if you switch scales mid performance

Live needs to automate scale changes and play them back. Especially since Push is geared to re-recording a performance or section of (no manual note editing)

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:40 pm

FWIW, you can store Push scale settings in clips via ClyphX's Push Actions.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:18 am

metastatik wrote:FWIW, you can store Push scale settings in clips via ClyphX's Push Actions.

Can you explain how that works? I looked at your site but it didn't make sense to me... thx

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:16 am

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking here. The link in my previous post will take you to the ClyphX section of my forum where you can download ClyphX (the download includes a manual) as well as find videos on it. This should help explain what ClyphX is and how it works. The Push Actions are explained in the related section of the manual.

To give you an example of one way the Push Actions can be used, record a clip using some particular scale settings. Then, append the PUSH SCL action to it (changing the clip's name to something like [My Clip] PUSH SCL). Upon retriggering the clip, the scale settings will be stored. From then on, retriggering the clip will recall the stored settings.

If any of that is unclear, I'd be happy to clarify, but would need some more specifics on what exactly you're finding unclear.