Fixed Length Behaviour - let user set value!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
justin

Fixed Length Behaviour - let user set value!

Post by justin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 am

Currently the fixed length button lets you specify the length of the recorded clips by pressing the corresponding buttons below the text display area. However, there is no way for the user to specify length beyond the options provided (1 beat, 2 beat, 1 bar, 2 bar, 4 bar). For instance, I wanted 6 bars and the only way i could do that was to go back to the mouse and create a clip while manually specifying its length in Live. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to do that directly on Push.

I would recommend using the encoders at the top to let the user specify the length for each corresponding button below. But maybe others can suggest another way around this?

ps. Not all of us make music which strictly adheres to 4/4 conventions :P.

triant

Re: Fixed Length Behaviour - let user set value!

Post by triant » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:11 pm

seconded.

i'd settle for any deviation from standard 4/4, but an adaptable grid controller that can handle truly odd time signatures would be some next level shit. but non-4/4 support has never seemed to be a huge ableton priority in my experience. ;)

Because789

Post by Because789 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm

justin wrote:Currently the fixed length button lets you specify the length of the recorded clips by pressing the corresponding buttons below the text display area. However, there is no way for the user to specify length beyond the options provided (1 beat, 2 beat, 1 bar, 2 bar, 4 bar). For instance, I wanted 6 bars and the only way i could do that was to go back to the mouse and create a clip while manually specifying its length in Live. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to do that directly on Push.

I would recommend using the encoders at the top to let the user specify the length for each corresponding button below. But maybe others can suggest another way around this?
There are two ways around this with Push:

a) don't use the fixed lengh button
b) use the fixed lengh button, record your 6 bars into an 8 bar clip, press Clip and adjust the clip lengh to 6 bars
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

justin

Post by justin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:46 am

Because789 wrote: There are two ways around this with Push:

a) don't use the fixed lengh button
b) use the fixed lengh button, record your 6 bars into an 8 bar clip, press Clip and adjust the clip lengh to 6 bars
Thanks, but i know how to get around it already. My point is this should be possible with Push, without having to use keyboard / mouse.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:17 pm

You don't have to use your mouse/keyboard for that task. As written before, record your 6 bars into an 8 bar clip, press Clip (the button on Push) and adjust the clip lengh to 6 bars with the knobs.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

justin

Post by justin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:48 am

Ah ok, i misunderstood (my bad). However, its still not ideal as you would have to stop the clip and re-adjust after recording. Personally, I still think it would be better if user could specify before recording and then you can let that clip roll whilst you work on the next part. Its a more fluent way of working, in a jamming sense...

Because789

Post by Because789 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 am

justin wrote:However, its still not ideal as you would have to stop the clip and re-adjust after recording.
You can adjust the clip length before recording, enable Fixed Length (it doesn't matter which length), press Record and a new clip is created, press Clip and adjust length, then play your stuff into your 6 bar loop.

I know it's not as convenient as you would like it to be since you have to wait with recording until the clip starts again, but it seems to me like a doable workflow even in a live situation.

M4L

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 am

or, indeed, create a number of empty 6 bar clips beforehand, and play into them with overdub. ;D Or else dive into the python script, it must be in there somewhere ;|

justin

Post by justin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:38 am

lo.key wrote:or, indeed, create a number of empty 6 bar clips beforehand, and play into them with overdub. ;D Or else dive into the python script, it must be in there somewhere ;|
Well despite all the workarounds i still think its worth having, so i may have to look into the scripts when i get some free time.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 am

justin wrote:Well despite all the workarounds i still think its worth having, so i may have to look into the scripts when i get some free time.
If you wanna take this road, check out: SessionRecordingComponent.py

It might be enough to mess around with LAUNCH_QUANTIZATION and LENGTH_OPTION_NAMES, but that's just a guess. Good luck...

M4L

justin

Post by justin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Because789 wrote: If you wanna take this road, check out: SessionRecordingComponent.py

It might be enough to mess around with LAUNCH_QUANTIZATION and LENGTH_OPTION_NAMES, but that's just a guess. Good luck...
Thanks for that!

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:53 am

Man I am sick of hearing people on here replying in a way that implies a blind faith in ableton being some kind of faultless software... Here's another idea: ABLETON: Get your forum working on mobile devices sometime soon. Lest history should strike you down as a reprobate.

bedowin

Post by bedowin » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:15 am

Hi I am on your side .They are not listening to what you are saying.
I want to tell PUSH I want a 12 bar loop. That's the one most important to me for songs in7/4 and up. also I just want to be able to set a value. Am I upset that it is not there .Yes.
That it is ignored as a production problem is remarkable.
Bedowin

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:19 am

justin wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:59 am
Currently the fixed length button lets you specify the length of the recorded clips by pressing the corresponding buttons below the text display area. However, there is no way for the user to specify length beyond the options provided (1 beat, 2 beat, 1 bar, 2 bar, 4 bar). For instance, I wanted 6 bars and the only way i could do that was to go back to the mouse and create a clip while manually specifying its length in Live. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to do that directly on Push.

ps. Not all of us make music which strictly adheres to 4/4 conventions :P.
Agreed.

One of my most desired features, although they made it easier overtime with the clip double function.