Easy to miss Push features

Discuss Push with other users.
colorthought

Re: Easy to miss Push features

Post by colorthought » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:35 am

panten wrote:Citizen: Pretty easy. Hold Duplicate + Drum Rack pad then push another pad. If there's already something on the destination pad they will swap.

p.s. Because789 don't add this one..yet
Ohmygosh Panten, you are a life saver. I've had the Push for over a month and had no idea how to accomplish this. My days of scrolling through the sample library for the same sample, repeatedly, for different pads is finally over.

Oho now I'm just getting excited to go write some more music :D

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 pm

panten wrote:Citizen: Pretty easy. Hold Duplicate + Drum Rack pad then push another pad. If there's already something on the destination pad they will swap.

I cannot seem to make this work, is it working for other people?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 pm

bytheriver wrote:

I cannot seem to make this work, is it working for other people?
Not working for me neither. I must be doing something wrong.

panten

Post by panten » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Sorry guys I was being slightly facetious with this one. Take the p.s. as being an indication that it's more of a feature request. :oops:

I really wonder how closely this forum is monitored by Ableton and if ANY of the great ideas users have been coming up with actually trickles uphill to reach the Push development team. I have a fear that not much does really.

I have been thinking of compiling all of my thoughts/ideas for improvement and sending an email to support in the hope that it will get forwarded. If you don't try you'll never know.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am

[edit]

the track volume and panning controls are a bit clunky. It would be great to have direct control over the active track a la Selected Track Control.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Updated OP

Added:

- hold Select + Drum Rack pad, while still holding the pad release the Select button and you can adjust Nudge, Note Length and Velocity for all steps corresponding to that pad (Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Select + Drum Rack pad, while still holding the pad release the Select button and press Mute to deactivate all steps of the corresponding pad (Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Accent while in Note mode and all playing you do will be at a higher velocity in real time (not only in Step Sequencer mode)

Removed:
- hold Delete + Drum Rack pad to delete the sample on this pad (I'm pretty sure this was working once, in 9.0.5 it seems to be gone)
The Finn wrote:The track volume and panning controls are a bit clunky. It would be great to have direct control over the active track a la Selected Track Control.
I got the impression I'm missing here something. What is clunky about selecting a track and pressing Track (which of course is only necessary if you are not already in track mode) to adjust volume, pan, sends right away with the knobs? Or with pressing Volume or Pan & Send to adjust volume, pan and sends of 8 tracks instantly? That felt very intuitive to me from the beginning.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Clarification, you dont need to hold Accent for it to work during real time playing, just pressing it once to engage it does the trick.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Because789

Post by Because789 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks Tarekith, I edited OP.

Btw, the following two have at first glance the same effect:

- hold Mute + Drum Rack pad to mute or solo that pad (Step Sequencer mode)
- hold Select + Drum Rack pad, while still holding the pad release the Select button and press Mute to deactivate all steps of the corresponding pad (Step Sequencer mode)

But only the second one allows you to unmute selected steps one by one (hold Mute + press step). Messing around with this I just discovered:

- hold Mute + insert a new step to insert a muted step (Step Sequencer mode)

This allows you to silently insert a rhyhtm and unmute all steps at once with the method above. Might be fun to use in a live situation...
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:37 am

colorthought wrote:

Ohmygosh Panten, you are a life saver. I've had the Push for over a month and had no idea how to accomplish this. My days of scrolling through the sample library for the same sample, repeatedly, for different pads is finally over.

Oho now I'm just getting excited to go write some more music :D
@colorthought: Unfortunately, that was just a complete lie from a Push zealot. No such thing can be done with Push. I guess panten is afraid to admit that it's one of many workflow things that's easily accomplished in Maschine that Push is simply not capable of, so will resort to spreading misinformation in desperation. Quite pathetic really...

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 am

Please people don't react to humnumb, we all know where he's coming from and where discussions would lead to. Let's keep this thread as objective as it has been so far.

Just ignore him...

M4L

panten

Re: Easy to miss Push jokes

Post by panten » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am

Because789, I was afraid that my p.s. disclaimer would be a bit too subtle for some. Apologies for summoning the troll.

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 am

Even though he might be a NI stakeholder, his critics make sense. I just hope that Ableton will improve the workflow issues asap. I sold my apc cause it involved too much workarounds and programming. And here we are with the Push, different environment but the same track.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:18 am

panten, don't worry, it wasn't too subtle for most of us :)

Fossiel, true or not, that's not the topic of this thread.

Here's another tip:

People have asked if it's possible to edit a segment of a longer loop in Step Sequencer mode while the whole loop keeps playing. So far (9.0.5) you can not select a single segment to edit it while the whole loop is playing. But keep in mind that you can duplicate the clip with the loop, go to Session mode, select the clip which is not playing (hold Select + press clip), go back to Step Sequencer mode an edit the clip while the duplicated one is playing.
Last edited by Because789 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M4L

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:42 am

Session

- hold Session while in Note mode to switch temporarily to Session mode (allowing you to launch clips then release the Session button to jump straight back into Note mode)
Many of the buttons on Push function this way. For examples, the Accent button, the Scale button and all of the Encoder mode buttons. If pressed quickly, they will toggle on/off. If held down, they function momentarily. This can be quite handy for making quick changes.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Last edited by lyovino on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2