Can I hook this turntable up to Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
trembzc

Can I hook this turntable up to Ableton?

Post by trembzc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Hello, so I'm thinking of buying a INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY ITUT-400 MODERN DESIGN USB TURNTABLE, Cost me about $80 just for something basic. I am wondering if this can be hooked up into Ableton to sample some records? It's a USB turntable If I play around with Ableton's options can I use it in Ableton?

Link to turntable. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=4213011

Re: Can I hook this turntable up to Ableton?

Post by 102455 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Well yeah, that's the general idea of a USB turntable - you plug it in and it will show as a USB audio source.

If you care about audio quality though, the results from an $80 deck will probably disappoint.

BTW you won't be able to hook it into Ableton, because that's the company. Live is the software. :P

trembzc

Post by trembzc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 pm

102455 wrote:Well yeah, that's the general idea of a USB turntable - you plug it in and it will show as a USB audio source.

If you care about audio quality though, the results from an $80 deck will probably disappoint.

BTW you won't be able to hook it into Ableton, because that's the company. Live is the software. :P

Aha sorry ya kinda new here. Great! thanks for the comment. Ya I do like my audio quality but currently a college student and money isn't so easy with all the bills :(

mikb

Post by mikb » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 pm

trembzc wrote:. I am wondering if this can be hooked up into Ableton to sample some records? It's a USB turntable If I play around with Ableton's options can I use it in Ableton?
Does this mean you don't currently have a separate audio card with inputs? If you do have one, it's possible any old fine second hand vinyl player trough an amp with a RIAA preamp would give you better results depending on the quality of your audio card of course.

Those items is what I'm planning to set up and get calibrated. Not for sampling as part of compositions but rather for digitizing some of my vinyls in 24bit.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:04 am

trembzc wrote:I am wondering if this can be hooked up into Ableton to sample some records? It's a USB turntable If I play around with Ableton's options can I use it in Ableton
do you have an extension cord long enough to reach Berlin?

mikb

Post by mikb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:10 am

H20nly wrote:
trembzc wrote:I am wondering if this can be hooked up into Ableton to sample some records? It's a USB turntable If I play around with Ableton's options can I use it in Ableton
You've heard of anything called the internet, H20nly?
It's very much possible to technically sample Ableton. You just have to ask nicely for some co-op.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

keydaking

Post by keydaking » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:44 pm

I currently have a usb turntable hooked up to my FTP while running Ableton live. Dont listen to the doubters, your sound quality will be fine. Make sure your records and needles are clean. Good luck broseph.
Dual Quad Core|8gb ram|Axion 49|FT Pro|Live 8 Suite|Komplelte 8|Waves Mercury

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:20 pm

keydaking wrote:Dont listen to the doubters, your sound quality will be fine.
This --------> Image

versus this -> Image

No contest.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Did Ableton give you permission to sample them?
ImageImage

keydaking

Post by keydaking » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Ive never used that table personally. But as I stated previously, I use a usb table to sample records. And, my samples sound great. The needle is the determining factor anyway. The difference between a $50 needle and $250 needle is not going to make a big difference in your recording.
Dual Quad Core|8gb ram|Axion 49|FT Pro|Live 8 Suite|Komplelte 8|Waves Mercury

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:19 pm

mikb wrote:
H20nly wrote:
You've heard of anything called the internet, H20nly?
It's very much possible to technically sample Ableton. You just have to ask nicely for some co-op.
so you live in Berlin? or do you work in the same building?

i suppose you could sample a company from the internet in some way, but you definitely can't "be hooked up into Ableton to sample some records" unless you're actually in the office... since both 'Ableton' and 'records' are physical not virtual.

just sayin.

anyway, time to go throw down some loops in Image-Line, edit some vocals in Sony, and master some tracks in Avid. :arrow:

mikb

Post by mikb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 am

H20nly wrote:
i suppose you could sample a company from the internet in some way, but you definitely can't "be hooked up into Ableton to sample some records" unless you're actually in the office... since both 'Ableton' and 'records' are physical not virtual.
Did you miss the co-op part? Short for Co-operation. Your remark was not even half as smart as you thought.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 am

mikb wrote:Not for sampling as part of compositions but rather for digitizing some of my vinyls in 24bit.
why 24 bit?

Post by 102455 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 am

Presumably to store them in as high a quality as possible so that he won't have to rip them again.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:19 am

yes, but is 24 bit necessary or not?