About to purchase suite 9...any issues/problems???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
celeste1

About to purchase suite 9...any issues/problems???

Post by celeste1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Been using suite 8 for the last three years. I have been saving recently, so that I could purchase suite9.

I do a mix of sequencing hardware with ableton, and composing using the sampler.
Most of my time is spent in arrangement view - but I'm really excited that live 9 allows you to transfer the arrangement clips to the session view.

The ability to modulate parameters with lfo is especially important to me. I assume I can somehow assign lfo to cc on the ext. synths?

I'm probably going to grab it before the sale ends, but...
Is there any reason I shouldn't get live 9? Like, is there some feature set that they completely messed up?

timday

Re: About to purchase suite 9...any issues/problems???

Post by timday » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:23 pm

If you listen to some of the stuff on these forums they messed up EVERYTHING. Actually though it's pretty good unless you have enormous (like hundreds of GB) sample libraries where some people have reported serious issues with the browser indexing. That seems to have died down a bit recoently, maybe it's been fixed.

I personally hate the new MIDI smart snap but it's not a deal breaker and some people like it.

I've not tried to assign the LFO to ext synths though but I don't see why not.

dbeanerz

Post by dbeanerz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 pm

My biggest issue with it is that I tend to spend roughly 8-10 hours of my days off working in it.
Then my girlfriend, family and at time friends tend to get mad.
Also, if those 8-10 hours are spent on what can ultimately be labeled a 'sh*t track', then I get a little mad.
Besides that, it's a great purchase.

celeste1

Post by celeste1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:58 pm

dbeanerz wrote:My biggest issue with it is that I tend to spend roughly 8-10 hours of my days off working in it.
Then my girlfriend, family and at time friends tend to get mad.
Also, if those 8-10 hours are spent on what can ultimately be labeled a 'sh*t track', then I get a little mad.
Besides that, it's a great purchase.
Ha, well I'm now single because I chose music over a girl.

I get what you're sayin.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

I really dislike the browser. It's very unintuitive, awkward and unpredictable. and although people dismiss this and say its trivial, or you can work around it. My work around is not to use it at all.

It's fucking painful. People tell me I'm using it wrong, I just have to do things Ableton's way, and ignore the top half of the browser, simply hack the xml to make folders, merely remember to use an underscore as my name, simply pretend seeing multiple columns is not important. Yeah. That fixes it.

Btw I do not have a billion gb of libraries.

I agree that the smart-snap makes midi editing painful and much slower. Additionally I have CPU burstibgissues in normal operation which are currently being tracked by Ableton. Pops and crackles on moving notes, or switching views.

Hopefully, L10 will be better

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:01 am

celeste1 wrote:Been using suite 8 for the last three years. I have been saving recently, so that I could purchase suite9.

I do a mix of sequencing hardware with ableton, and composing using the sampler.
Most of my time is spent in arrangement view - but I'm really excited that live 9 allows you to transfer the arrangement clips to the session view.

The ability to modulate parameters with lfo is especially important to me. I assume I can somehow assign lfo to cc on the ext. synths?

I'm probably going to grab it before the sale ends, but...
Is there any reason I shouldn't get live 9? Like, is there some feature set that they completely messed up?
Sounds like you're 51% of the way there to buying so unless someone, anyone, can persuade you otherwise, it feels like you're going to buy it no matter what ;)

Personally, I enjoy it. I have a few gigs of sample packs and record my hardware quite often with little to no fuss. No brainer for me.

Although you have to respect other people's experiences, yours will likely be different.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi celeste1 :D

I upgraded from Live 8 to 9 the Suite version .Now although I don't have many sample collections I haven't experienced any issues so far with the browser,it works for me and pretty well too

I'm using live as a hobby,and only just started to use the new features of live,coupled with rewire to Reason.

Sure there are issues regarding the browser,and other bits,but the beta testers and Ableton are working on it,I'm sure of that.

All being said,personally Live Suite 9 is a great package,lots of new features, new sounds etc, to be discovered

mrtunes

Post by mrtunes » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:36 pm

it looks like i'll be getting the suite, but i have a macbook air. how do you deal with a 54gig sample libary? is it possible to just keep sounds that i want and store the others on an external?