Save search - Tabbed browser VOTE

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Enable a save search function with a tabbed browser

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

Onanism

Save search - Tabbed browser VOTE

Post by Onanism » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:23 am

Seriously, the browser needs to retain searches within tabs and a back button for navigation, so when you search for something else, be it a plug in or effect or new sound etc, the other searches remain open to easily navigate back to. The current way of navigation is very illogical. The search field should start with a blank canvas again ready to enter the new query, while the previous search is stored as a tab on the left. The tab would be created for each search query so i can pick sounds from each result without having to re-search them every time.
I dont understand why if i type "indian" for eg. to search for sounds, that when i then go to select an effect, the search query is still there and i dont see all my effects until i clear the search. I dont think ill find an Indian effect??
Last edited by Onanism on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------
IMAGINATION IS WORTH MORE THAN KNOWLEDGE
http://soundcloud.com/thekrakafaktri

Karlstens

Re: Save search - Tabbed browser VOTE

Post by Karlstens » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:45 am

Great idea! Throw in searchable metadata or tags, or even just searchable notes and I will upgrade!

Onanism

Post by Onanism » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 am

Cmon guys! 3 votes! WTF!! Its a total mind f&*k not to want this feature, especially as a producer.
DJ's probably wont give a f*&k! but ,man, this has to be a priority! I even emailed Abe's about this.
Meanwhile i must succumb to using Image
screen shot on windows but without drag and drop, only copy and paste! Another way to keep the "search" open for previewing.
IMAGINATION IS WORTH MORE THAN KNOWLEDGE
http://soundcloud.com/thekrakafaktri

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Onanism wrote:Cmon guys! 3 votes! WTF!! Its a total mind f&*k not to want this feature, especially as a producer.
DJ's probably wont give a f*&k! but ,man, this has to be a priority! I even emailed Abe's about this.
Meanwhile i must succumb to using Image
screen shot on windows but without drag and drop, only copy and paste! Another way to keep the "search" open for previewing.
+1.2

Holgzn

Post by Holgzn » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 am

+1

I don't necessarily need a tabbed search, as it might clutter the UI when you have a lot of tabs, but I definitely would love the browser to remember my previous search term + selected folder.

A simple solution would be to have simple "back" and "forward" buttons in the browser and maintain a history of searches (similar to how web browsers behave).

A new "history" entry should be created when either
  • the search term changes
    (not on every keystroke, only after the user has interacted with the results (i.e. previewing a sample))
  • a Collection/Category/Place is clicked in (left pane of the browser)
With the "back" button, you could then navigate backwards (and from there forward again) through your last searches.
The selected sample in a search should be retained so the user can continue to preview samples from where he left off.
Previewing samples or expanding folders in the right pane of the browser should not create a new history entry.

Tabbed or not, having a way to come back to a previous search would be really helpful.