a very useful MIDI tip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Oliver Alex

Re: a very useful MIDI tip

Post by Oliver Alex » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:42 am

Does this still work with Ableton 9 and Python scripts?
I started looking at it but stopped as i saw this was an ableton 8 trick...
I'm very curious to have the solution for A9?

djmichaelwenz

Post by djmichaelwenz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Hey Funken, do you know how to move the blue hand (device selected) from L to R like the keypad arrows? But with midi messages?
Professional Ableton Mixing and Analog Mastering? https://www.wenzmastering.com

Spectrumdisco

Post by Spectrumdisco » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks, great tip

mrboswald

Post by mrboswald » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to setup a remote midi script for my Nord Lead 2x and can't get the blue hand to appear. Can anyone help?

Here are my thoughts... When I put my Novation launch control in the control surface area of preferences, the blue hand immediately appears on a device. When I put my 'NordLead2x' control surface up, the blue hand doesn't appear. This makes me think that something pretty basic is wrong. Rather than it being to do with what midi channel or cc numbers I've put down.

Now because the Nord has to go through a midi interface I have put the 'Pro24' (the name of the interface) in the input and output name within the configuration file. But still no blue hand. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

These sorts of things can eat hours up! I want to make some music.

mrboswald

Post by mrboswald » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:51 pm

Nevermind, got it.

Just for anyone else struggling with this. I put the user script in Apps/Ableton/Show Package Contents/App-Resources/Midi Remote Scripts

and it should be in HD/User/library/preferences/ableton (version number)/User remote scripts.

So there you go.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:48 am

Has anyone created a script for the novation launch control xl? It has 24 knobs, 8 faders, 16 buttons underneath and 8 buttons on the side. It has 8 user presets.

Is there a way to make this into 4 scripts named "launch 1-2", "launch 3-4", etc and load them into Live so that there are 4 different options for the blue hand that correspond to the launch control? This device has so much potential but it's frustrating. I have to remap everything each time. To make it worse there is not even a blue hand script to begin with.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 am

What are some things you map it to? Operator? Massive? Auto Filter?

A good description of How you map your controller to things might give a hint for how to help you out.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:46 pm

All of the above. NI plugins, Sylenth, Arturia plugins. Even Maxforlive sequencers.

What's driving me crazy is that there are 8 USER presets...every time I open Live, I have to map everything from scratch. Of course, I could save a template with my most used items and map it all but that limits it to about 4-8 things and takes forever to load.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:25 am

So you're saying that by default it does not support automatic device control?

There are a few tricky factors once you try doing things beyond the simple 8 macro-blue hand style controlling.

But essentially, when it comes to vsts, the 'default' mapping for blue hand control is either, the first 8 sliders when you use 'configure', or if you do not, the first device knob will control whatever parameter you last tweaked on the vst, but in order for Live to 'retain' the Config sliders, you have to Group the vst into a Device Rack and then save it. And always load that. It is far from perfect, but that's how you do it.

Otherwise, there is also the ability to midi map INSIDE of a vst, which is handled in different ways depending on the way it is made. Sometimes this is a pretty slick way to map things.

The best way to get this working though is to practice using both methods so you really understand the limitations of what you can and can't do, and also have more precise questions for specific cases.

But yeah, just midi mapping directly usually Only works within the set you are saving and no others.

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 am

This technique does not work for a KORG nanoKONTROL2 using Ableton Live 9.1.7 on OS X Mavericks.

The encoders will adjust the macro controls of the drum rack when I select it... sort of. However, with the encoder at its minimum value, the macro will show a 127 value. As I turn the encoder clockwise, the macro value jumps to 2, and then at the encoders maximum setting, the macro value will jump to 63. These are the only values that will show up.

I have no clue how to get this working properly for my nanoKONTROL2, and it is driving me NUTS. If anyone has gotten this to work for a nanoKONTROL2 PLEASE let me know how. Thanks!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Make sure that the control type in the script is regular Absolute.

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:34 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Make sure that the control type in the script is regular Absolute.
It is. I've tried every control type with the same results.

In the userconfiguration.txt:
InputName and OutputName set to nanoKONTROL2. The folder I put the txt file in is named nanoKONTROL2. In Live MIDI settings I have the nanoKONTROL2 selected as the control surface, input and output set to nanoKONTROL2, amd both track and remote are set to on for input and output.

I'm stumped. Pretty much ready to return the damn thing and buy a supported MIDI controller that will automap OOTB.

Verside

Post by Verside » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:43 am

thank you :D
Everything you need to make all your dreams come true is already inside you. Let it out. - Verside Music | Verside Soundcloud

Thurals

Post by Thurals » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Running ableton 9 with an Akai Max 49, no knobs but touch faders instead.
I'm a complete noob at midi mapping so could someone help me out here? I've got very basic functions for my Max 49 and barely use the faders. Revolutionizing my workflow would be paramount.
Gracias,
River

makaruk

Post by makaruk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:08 am

this was truly useful - thanks a ton!

update on the Ableton Live version 9 - You should also type in channel number in the file like so: (if you use channel number 1 then type in 0):

Encoder1: 111
Encoder2: 112
Encoder3: 113
Encoder4: 114
Encoder5: 115
Encoder6: 116
Encoder7: 117
Encoder8: 118
EncoderChannel1: 0
EncoderChannel2: 0
EncoderChannel3: 0
EncoderChannel4: 0
EncoderChannel5: 0
EncoderChannel6: 0
EncoderChannel7: 0
EncoderChannel8: 0
Macbook Pro late 2010, OSX 10.10.5, RME Fireface 400, Ableton live 9.7, Komplete 10, Maschine 2.4.7