Global groove needs to come back for LIVE beat making!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Ernst

Re: Global groove needs to come back for LIVE beat making!

Post by Ernst » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:24 pm

If we keep bumping this thread every 4 years maybe something WILL happen... ;-)
Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Bump. Having to add groove to every single new track is tedious.

adh82

Post by adh82 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 pm

We need global groove!!!!! +1 to get it back!!!!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Default groove sounds like a wonderful option.

I wonder if it'd be in preferences for creating New clips? And where it'd draw its options from?

Or if it'd be a selectable option in each set in the groove pool / amount section, where you wouldn't necessarily need to access Preferences, and it'd feel more like a per set option instead as opposed to a general all around option.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm

Agreed. Push has kind of a global groove for newly recorded clips...not the global groove as before, but you don't have to manually get a groove clip and assign it to a clip.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:39 pm

The downside of the Push implementation, if I'm not mistaken, is that it commits immediately after you adjust?

Ernst

Post by Ernst » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:06 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Agreed. Push has kind of a global groove for newly recorded clips...not the global groove as before, but you don't have to manually get a groove clip and assign it to a clip.
If there was an easy way to get to the "swing" feature of Push with (or without) the APC40 this would be pretty close to what we had in Live 7.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:47 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Default groove sounds like a wonderful option.

I wonder if it'd be in preferences for creating New clips? And where it'd draw its options from?

Or if it'd be a selectable option in each set in the groove pool / amount section, where you wouldn't necessarily need to access Preferences, and it'd feel more like a per set option instead as opposed to a general all around option.
I like the second option! The new grooves are cool, and having a global groove that's automatically applied to new tracks/clips would be exactly what I'm looking for.

There -is- a workaround currently. You -could- create an estimated number of tracks, duplicate empty clips, select all clips, and apply the groove. I always start out with an empty project though, so that's not for me.

I almost installed Live 7 because of the missing global groove, but not having octave transpose in the piano roll (shift+up/down) is even more annoying.

aubford

Post by aubford » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:37 am

Dear Ableton,
A "default groove" option is a simple and obvious necessity for any DAW that claims to be usable "LIVE". Not giving us this feature is ridiculous and yet another thing that keeps this software from being a real live performance instrument and instead just a complex DJ software with a DAW in it. Hopefully Bitwig will light a fire under your asses so you start listening to us, I'm going to start exploring their stuff right now actually.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

Get a grip. Adjust your performance technique to meet what Live can do. I used to perform live with an atari st, a portable tv and a 4track portastudio. Stop blaming the tools.

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:22 pm

5 years later, and I still miss it every time I open up Live. Great music still gets made of course, but I still don't understand why default groove was ever removed - it could have coexisted perfectly with the new groove system.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:31 am

Live is less and less "live" with each new version I'm afraid. It has already become an everything for everyone DAW...
Last edited by Schmidi on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:14 am

oddstep wrote:Get a grip. Adjust your performance technique to meet what Live can do. I used to perform live with an atari st, a portable tv and a 4track portastudio. Stop blaming the tools.
Say wha????????

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:17 am

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:5 years later, and I still miss it every time I open up Live. Great music still gets made of course, but I still don't understand why default groove was ever removed - it could have coexisted perfectly with the new groove system.
I got back into live because of the groove pool but I admit, this is a function that I'd like to have. Seems bizarre that it was just removed.

If you could edit multiple clips drag/drop or some kinda "select all" I can see it but. But considering the minor hassle it is to groove quantize more than one clip it's kinda a pita.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:28 am

Yeah, it would be good if there was a default groove, like there is a default warping method. Then the global groove would work like it did pre 8. The absence of a global groove default is hardly stopping Live from being a solid tool for live performance though.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:58 am

a big phat +1 for default groove

I've always programmed with quantize and swing% to achieve the groove I want. Never been interested in groove maps.

However, having taken a closer inspection of the actual factory groove maps supplied with Live9 i've notice a lot of them are very inconsistent. For example among the MPC maps (and others) they don't place the first beat accurately on the '1' ... each map has a varying degree of inaccuracy. Hard to understand how this is deemed a better system.

There is a work around to get the same kind of global groove going as with Live7. Just load up Swing 16-99 from the groove library/swing folder. assign all clips to it, and dial in swing to suit from 'global groove amount'.