usb hub tips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slatepipe

usb hub tips

Post by slatepipe » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 am

hi

through gradual increases in controllers i now got about six things that i can potentially plug into my laptop to go into ableton and make noises with. though my laptop has only got three usb slots. the laptop is a compaq 615 which i suppose is a bit old now but it still works fine, pretty much. it runs windows 7 and live 9

i now got : uc33e, lpk25, joystick, queno, fcb1010, custom midi bass with roland gr30, and usb mini light (which is useful but i suppose i could do without)

can anyone recommend some sort of hub thing or something similar that would allow me to get all these working properly with the minimum of fuss and hopefully no dropouts in connection?
the uc33e, fcb and roland all use their own mains power. the rest take power from the usb

cheers for any advice. i been looking on google and whatnot but i kind of like the opinions of people on here

Evengy

Re: usb hub tips

Post by Evengy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 am

i bought this powered 4 port hub two month ago, but there is a 7 port version available. never had any problems! im using all ports with audio interface, push, master keyboard etc.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Not much help, but I will be following along here. There are very few road-worthy hubs IMO. Bus power is hit or miss on most models, build quality varies, you are invariably introducing a new point of failure in your system, which in my case as well is a necessary evil. But I haven't found a manufacturer who is really looking at performance scenarios and answering it with a sound product. I'll post my answer when I'm back on the market for one. Things do change.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Big fan of the Plugable USB hubs, used quite a few with no issues at all.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:14 pm

I have a powered hub, which seems to pull way to much energy from the source when its not connected to the electricity plug. When i touch my Push, i feel a strong static buzz. Like i am being electrocuted slowly.

Am i destroying my device?