Cant get that house music drum sound?????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kenfold

Cant get that house music drum sound?????

Post by Kenfold » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to Ableton this year and i mainly produce house music/deep house/tech house etc etc.

The problem is i just cant get that house drum sound that i am after so any help is appreciated.
I dont want to buy loops of house music drums, want to make my own so if anyone can point me in
the right direction then it would be a big help.

Cheers

Mirthan

Re: Cant get that house music drum sound?????

Post by Mirthan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Get BazzISM! Just got it yesterday,it's really worth it. Here: http://www.ismism.de/BazzISM.htm
(Pm me if you need something. Always down to help.)

My social things:
https://soundcloud.com/mirthan
https://twitter.com/iamMirthan

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Kenfold wrote:Hi everyone,

I am new to Ableton this year and i mainly produce house music/deep house/tech house etc etc.

The problem is i just cant get that house drum sound that i am after so any help is appreciated.
I dont want to buy loops of house music drums, want to make my own so if anyone can point me in
the right direction then it would be a big help.

Cheers
Run a 909 Kit through autofilter LPF 12dbo at about 12khz. Lots of house tracks cira mid to early 90s were using sampled 909 kicks snares and hi-hats through 12-bit samplers at 11k or 22Khz resolution. Sampling latin percussion loops off of vylyl was popular too, so convert some latin percussion loops to lofi and mix it in to taste.

Reverbs on house drums were very minimal, but it is comon practice to send drums to a short reverb with a 50-100ms pre delay for a very very subtle "In the (large) basement" effect." to capture that 4 on the floor in a venue feel.

Many house tracks used one or two vocal stabs in its tracks, some had more but 1 or 2 stabs are common. Moog/Juno/303/MC202/SH101 Bass were also common, usually no more than 3 or 4 notes in the bass scale looping 1 or 2 different progressions over a 1,2 or 4 bar loop. Again, classic house tracks had 12 bit-11k or 22khzSampled notes that were sequenced through Atari or MC20 or MMT8 type sequencers that were recorded through tape, which gave it a nice lofi classic house sound. When the tracks were mixed to tape it produced natural "tape compression", which was not compressed in the multitrack traditional sense. The results were pressed to vinyl then to redbook and there you have that classic house sound.

Good luck!

mihai

Post by mihai » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 am

learn to hear and mix.

andresnol

Post by andresnol » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:06 am

i like mihai's suggestion. troll.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 pm

I think it's short sighted to not purchase some loop packs. Loops have many advantages, and are great for beginners.

- Use as creative starting points
- Use as templates
- Extract a loop's groove
- Use individual bits
- High pass and use as tops
- Use a bunch of loops & follow actions to create new loops

Also, loops are usually preprocessed with high end gear that you may never get access to.

Anyway, forcing yourself to create 4/4 beats without any examples can be hard, especially when it comes to applying swing to create a groove.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm

mihai wrote:learn to hear and mix.

Translation: "Your question is not worth asking, oh inferior one. Read my response and understand my magnificence and my superior musical abilities"
Last edited by re:dream on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:30 pm

House is dead to me. I hope I never here a house,tech house,deep house,electro,trance or techno song (loop)
for the rest of my life.especially anything with a 303 (acid) sound in it.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:15 am

Really useful response there too.

Post by 102455 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:09 pm

It's difficult to respond with anything useful because there's so little info in the original post.

You "mainly produce house" but can't get "that house drum sound"...... So you're making house with no drums?

What house drum sound do you want? Examples please.

Are you making (or aiming to make) modern house or stuff that sounds like the 1st gen 80s house?

You say no to loops - are you averse to using samples, or by "make my own" do you mean from scratch with a synth?