Arturia Minilab

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dh2k

Arturia Minilab

Post by dh2k » Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Hey,

I've just received the Arturia Minilab yesterday - it works properly with the standalone software - and it works well with Ableton as a VST plugin - my only problem is the 16 infinite rotary knobs in Ableton when running as a VST are _extreme_ super slow. I have to turn the knobs hundred times even for small changes, which renders the device in Ableton as a VST useless.

If anyone knows how can this problem fixed please let me know!

Thank you.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Arturia Minilab

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 14, 2013 7:33 pm

I was going to get one of these, but that doesn't sound good. Have you tried using the control editor that comes with it? Maybe there is some kind of acceleration or speed control?
Professional Shark Jumper.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Wait you're post is confusing. Are you talking about the VST or the hardware controls?

It sounds like you are talking about the knobs on the device, but you kep saying the VST.

When is it super slow?
-When you are using the hardware knobs to control the MiniLab software parameters?
-When you are using the hardware knobs to control other parameters in Ableton via instant mapping or midi mapping?

dh2k

Post by dh2k » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Wait you're post is confusing. Are you talking about the VST or the hardware controls?

It sounds like you are talking about the knobs on the device, but you kep saying the VST.

When is it super slow?
-When you are using the hardware knobs to control the MiniLab software parameters?
-When you are using the hardware knobs to control other parameters in Ableton via instant mapping or midi mapping?
Hardware Device + Analog Labs Software as Standalone:
Everything works fine. Keys, knobs are acting as it should be both on the hardware, both on the software.

Hardware Device + Ableton Live + Analog Labs as VST:
When you turn the knobs on the Arturia Hardware, the knobs will react super slow on the screen in the Analog Labs software. This is happening ONLY when the Analog Labs software is running in VST mode.

Looks like the Analog Labs software and Ableton doesn't really likes each other. They might have different schema / ranges for knob values.

I've tried everything with the given Midi Mapper software. You can change the speed of the knobs but none of those settings fix this problem actually.

I hope there will be a fix or workaround soon!

login

Post by login » Wed May 15, 2013 5:48 am

What about using it for controlling live mixer/devices, or other vst's?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 am

dh2k wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Wait you're post is confusing. Are you talking about the VST or the hardware controls?

When is it super slow?
Hardware Device + Analog Labs Software as Standalone:
Everything works fine. Keys, knobs are acting as it should be both on the hardware, both on the software.

Hardware Device + Ableton Live + Analog Labs as VST:
When you turn the knobs on the Arturia Hardware, the knobs will react super slow on the screen in the Analog Labs software. This is happening ONLY when the Analog Labs software is running in VST mode.

Looks like the Analog Labs software and Ableton doesn't really likes each other. They might have different schema / ranges for knob values.

I've tried everything with the given Midi Mapper software. You can change the speed of the knobs but none of those settings fix this problem actually.

I hope there will be a fix or workaround soon!
Wow, I'm surprised by that. Actually wait, it's Arturia, maybe I'm not surprised. Have you contacted support or posted on their forum. KVR actually has an Arturia support forum now too. Try there.

agent0047

Post by agent0047 » Sat May 25, 2013 3:50 am

I just received a MiniLab too, and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. The midi controller's knobs are fine(for inexpensive plastic knobs) in standalone mode, but really, REAALLLLY SLOW in when the Analog Lab software is opened as either an Audio Unit or VST in Ableton.

I have also noticed that the MiniLab is not on Ableton's list of control surfaces, although it does read as a Midi Port. And there's the small matter of Ableton crashing every 10 minutes with the Arturia plugin running....

Time to contact Arturia support I suppose.

(on edit - it looks like several others have already posted on the Arturia Forum about the exact same problem. http://www.arturia.com/evolution/smf/in ... oard=103.0 ...Caveat Emptor)

BertiBauer

Post by BertiBauer » Sat May 25, 2013 10:08 am

Hi all,

Just a quick question to those who already own a Minilab and have the problem of encoders being slow in a DAW: Have you tried changing the MIDI settings via the MIDI Control Center software?

Page 20 of the manual (see http://arturia.com/downloads/minilab/ma ... Lab_EN.pdf) lists "Knob accel" as one parameter of the global parameters, and it sounds like this would be addressing the described problem.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated, as my Minilab in on order! ;-)

Thanks and have fun,
Berti

ohanegby

Post by ohanegby » Sat May 25, 2013 9:24 pm

I fiddled with it and figured out a workaround for this problem through automation:

1. Through the Midi Control Center set all the knobs to work in "Absolute" mode.
2. In ableton midi configuration, set the "Takeover Mode" to "Value Scaling"
3. Map all the AnalogLab controls into the ableton device. This can be done by pressing the "configure" button on the device title (if it's invisible you can show it by pressing the arrow between the power button and the wrench icon) and turning all the knobs on the AnalogLab screen.
4. All the knobs should now appear on the live device. Now assign them to the hardware knobs through the "midi" assignment inside ableton live. Make sure that everything is setup to absolute mode.

Please note that when knobs are not mapped through the ableton live mapping, they will not work correctly directly with AnalogLab with this setup.

Ori

mickalig

Post by mickalig » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am

I'm thinking of getting one of those. What I want out of it is basically for it to work as a keyboard for playing and to be able to assign the knobs and the footswitch to parameters and plugins (other than the arturia analog lab one which i'm not that interested in). Is this a controller you would recommend for such a use? All the problems you've mentioned, do they also apply when not using analog lab?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Just download the latest firmware from the Arturia website.
I had the same problem before, don't have any now.
That being said, i didn't check it with the Arturia software but with Live's own devices/racks and various N.I. VST/AU's.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:08 pm

As a generic midi controller it works fine. Make sure to set the knobs to absolute mode as I think that's what you need for generic mapping. The latest Ableton instant mapping script works fairly well also, though I'm not a fan of acceleration for endless rotaries. I think they should always turn at the same speed.

Beefsticker

Post by Beefsticker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi!

I just signed the petition "Arturia Musical Instruments - This petition requests fixes that pertain to Arturia's hardware and software. The encoders and software are severely unstable regardless of the recent updates. This problem has been neglected for almost a year." on Change.org.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/arturia ... _petition

PSRC

Post by PSRC » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:27 pm

done!

I just signed it!

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:52 pm

The problem is, the hardware, drivers and midi implementation is designed and manufactured not by Arturia but CME, who have a record of the worst drivers in the history of music related software, see the UF5/6/7 debacle for instance.The problem is, not only do they design the worst drivers ever but they do exatly zilch to improve their software when complaints arise.Has been this way since day 1 of their existence as a company.

So no surprises here..