EQ individual tracks or master track?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

EQ individual tracks or master track?

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I’m working on a track that’s a little bottom heavy, but overall the mix sounds fine. I’m sure either method would work but is it bad form to just cut the lows on the master track as opposed the individual tracks? You know sometimes you go and EQ a trouble track or 2 and next thing you know you’re adjusting a bunch of other tracks and sometimes not for the better.

I posted this in The Lounge because I don't want it littered with responses that require a math and accoustic physics degree to understand. :x

siliconarc

Re: EQ individual tracks or master track?

Post by siliconarc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 pm

vocode the master, breau

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 pm

If EQing the master track is easier and it works, problem solved.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:21 pm

garyboozy wrote:vocode the master, breau
:x
Tarekith wrote:If EQing the master track is easier and it works, problem solved.
:)

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 pm

beats me wrote:I’m working on a track that’s a little bottom heavy, but overall the mix sounds fine. I’m sure either method would work but is it bad form to just cut the lows on the master track as opposed the individual tracks? You know sometimes you go and EQ a trouble track or 2 and next thing you know you’re adjusting a bunch of other tracks and sometimes not for the better.

I posted this in The Lounge because I don't want it littered with responses that require a math and accoustic physics degree to understand. :x
If you intergrate the frequences with respect to the time signature from zero...

JK. Id try to eq the bass heavy parts first, or bring thier levels down. Or just throw a multiband and tame the range that is heavy.

EDIT: I always feel like shelving never works quite right unless your REALLY trying to force a sound to the outside.
Because Whatever.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Mint Invader wrote:
EDIT: I always feel like shelving never works quite right unless your REALLY trying to force a sound to the outside.
All good, different ways to skin a cat, but I am a huge fan of shelving. Just so easy to know that some instruments will not shine in a particular frequency spectrum, and thus worth shelving. So much mud and low frequency rumble can be removed by that 20-80hz cut.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.