post the Monitors that you're Using and why

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reptar

Post by reptar » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:53 am

Yamaha MSP5As cause they're small enough to fit in my studio, they have great sound for the price (and size), they translate pretty well to hifi, they're plenty loud enough.

zebastian21

Post by zebastian21 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:39 pm

Proud new owner of Genelec 8040, I compared them to anyhting in the store...their sound is right on your face...exellent stereo image and tight middle/bass.... :lol: :lol:
stop talking.....start working...:)
Macbook pro. Logic pro/Live. Access Virus Ti. Genelec 8040. my bread and butter :)

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:06 pm

M Audio bx5s. They were on sale and I didn't think I had enough space for the bx8s. For the most part I love the way they sound, but I'm saving up for the subwoofer all the same.

atomic

Post by atomic » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:53 pm

event Tria

They where given to me so it was a simple choice! They sound decent but let some of the more subtle souns go unheard. I have to check the quite things in the mix with my Beyerdynamic 911 headphones to make sure things are in check.

I also use a pair of KEF104a/b's to check the mix but dont dont mix on them.
ABIT NF7+AMDXP@2500, RME Multiface, TC Powercore Element+Virus, UAD-1, Nord Lead2, Reason2.5, impOSCar, Microtonic, Reaktor5 and some other stuff...

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:02 pm

Mackie HR824, flat, fat and firm allllllllll the way down. If you're working on club-stylee stuff, turn these up and you'll know pretty much what you're in for without them prettying everything up too much either. Also very together indeed on more acoustic, transient-y stuff too. To get their best though you do need a bit of space.
How did I choose them? Just listening to a bunch of stuff of all sorts I know really well and A/Bing pair after pair.

zion15

Post by zion15 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:07 pm

dynaudio bm6as.

they're compact enough to fit in my little space, accurate and flat enough to make good mixes on and don't sound "nasty" so you will love to listen music through them too besides mixing.

i actually got them for a very good price two years ago - some guy who'd been using them for like three months was moving to a bigger studio space, bought the bm15as and didn't have use for the smaller ones anymore... fell in love, shelled out the cash and here i am.

since i moved to another place i haven't had a good spot to put them on, though (they're currently on a shelf that's in my "workspace" table) so they definitely don't sound as good as they could. planning to either buy or construct floor stands for them ASAP.
| http://www.lumeet.net/ | neverstoplovingmusic |

helixx

Post by helixx » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:20 pm

KRK Rokit5's.

They had been recommended to me by studio musicians who use the bigger versions (8's) so i looked into them. they got very favorable reviews for the price. They sound great to me but I really have no basis for comparison.

here's a review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/a ... krokit.htm

and a snippet:

Although the Rokit 5s are rather small by comparison, and have a less extended bass response, they still deliver a solid punch and avoid sounding boxy at moderate listening levels. Moreover, the bass isn't hyped up to emphasise only kick drums. These speakers would be a good choice for a small studio, where the room isn't particularly well-behaved at very low frequencies, but in an average sized room I'd still prefer to work with the Rokit 8s, which are also capable of higher sound levels. The technical spec doesn't mention a maximum SPL, but I got more than enough clean level for my own tastes.

These may not be KRK's most expensive monitors, but they are ideally suited to the majority of project studio applications, delivering clarity and a decent amount of bass extension in a compact and affordable package. I really liked working with the Rokit 8s, but when switching to the Rokit 5s there was no sense of being fobbed off with a small sound — these are great little monitors for this UK price. All speakers built to a cost involve design compromises, but I feel the designers have done well in this respect to deliver a range of well-engineered, affordable active monitors with no significant vices. Whatever corners have been cut, they don't affect the ability of these monitors to let you hear a properly balanced mix with clarity and detail
1.65ghz powerbook 15" | 1.5gb RAM | Ableton Live 6.0.10 | Operator | Korg Zero 4 | Logic Pro 8 | Korg Kontrol49 | Behringer BCF2000 | Alesis Multimix8 Firewire

New Yawkah

Post by New Yawkah » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:24 pm

EVENT 20/20 BAS v2

because they are flat and just the right "punchy" and don't wear your ears out after long mixes...and translate well to my car stereo- which is the final "judgment" of all my mixes. If it sounds good pumped in my car, it will pretty much sound good anyplace.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm

Mackie HR 824 joints. Been using them for a while now and am getting to know their sound pretty well in terms of getting mixes to translate. I got them b/c they were billed to have a flat response. I like 'em.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

mikemc

Rokit 5s also

Post by mikemc » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:40 pm

KRK Rokit 5s as well-- I agree with what helixx said on these, in a similar situation re: limited space-- good info, "value for price" observation holds in US also, I'd say.

I compared these to M-Audio BX5s. These were good, and less expensive (on sale) at the time. But the difference was enough, monitors are important.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

ebencarlson

Mackie HR824s

Post by ebencarlson » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Mackie HR 824s.

I originally got a pair of used Event 20/20 bas from Guitar Center since my budget was only around 400 (I ended up dropping $460 after tax but they threw in a warranty). I liked those but they were a bit too organic sounding for my liking. I liked the bass and found them much more comfortable to listen to than the KRK V6s I was checking them against (which were my first choice). I found I could feel the Event's much better than the V6s. Even though the V6s midrange was very focused and right there.

Five days later I saw an ad on Craigslist for a pair of Mackie HR824s for $500 and my jaw dropped. I e-mailed it immediately but wondered what my chances were because obviously, whou wouldn't want a pair of Mackies for $5 bills.

I went to bed and woke up early to an e-mail response the woman left for everyone who had contacted her saying that the first person at her place (after 9am) could have them, due to too many responses. So I bounced out and sat in my car for twenty minutes or so just to make sure I was first. As I was plugging them in someone else stopped by. Ah, the benifits of clean living! Was I the only audiophile up by 6 on a Saturday? Who knows, but I'm loving these speakers. They bump when they're supposed to bump and everything else. I returned the Events later that day and got every penny back. Not a bad upgrade for $40. :D
www.ebencarlson.com

Mac PB 1.33, L5, Tascam FW-1884, Motif ES, Mackie HR824, FMR RNC, Rode NTK, Jimmy Page Danelectro, Jazzmaster, Bandmaster, Leslie, Vintage Warmer, Numark CDX, Southern Jumbo

Rahlo

Re: Mackie HR824s

Post by Rahlo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 pm

ebencarlson wrote:Mackie HR 824s.

I originally got a pair of used Event 20/20 bas from Guitar Center since my budget was only around 400 (I ended up dropping $460 after tax but they threw in a warranty). I liked those but they were a bit too organic sounding for my liking. I liked the bass and found them much more comfortable to listen to than the KRK V6s I was checking them against (which were my first choice). I found I could feel the Event's much better than the V6s. Even though the V6s midrange was very focused and right there.

Five days later I saw an ad on Craigslist for a pair of Mackie HR824s for $500 and my jaw dropped. I e-mailed it immediately but wondered what my chances were because obviously, whou wouldn't want a pair of Mackies for $5 bills.

I went to bed and woke up early to an e-mail response the woman left for everyone who had contacted her saying that the first person at her place (after 9am) could have them, due to too many responses. So I bounced out and sat in my car for twenty minutes or so just to make sure I was first. As I was plugging them in someone else stopped by. Ah, the benifits of clean living! Was I the only audiophile up by 6 on a Saturday? Who knows, but I'm loving these speakers. They bump when they're supposed to bump and everything else. I returned the Events later that day and got every penny back. Not a bad upgrade for $40. :D
NICE!! I payed almost a grand for mine a couple three years ago.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:28 pm

Berhringer Truth's 2031a

They have a very good neutral sound.

Great bass response when needed.

Cheap as hell.

LOUD!!!

Very configurable

I hear a lot of crap about these but I have never had a problem and have had serious pro's in my studio who were very impressed with the sound.

Not that I care that much as long as I like them and know their sound I can mix anything on them.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Agent47

Post by Agent47 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:39 pm

I had BX5's, sold em. Now I think I will get a pair of Mackie HR 824s. What sub should I run with those?
I am neither a jockey nor do I spin anything....

brecht

Post by brecht » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:49 pm

I got a pair of the NHT A10 Pro Studio Monitor System for 400 dollars on clearance. They don't have a lot of bass but sound tight and even from 60Hz on up. Unfortunately, I think NHT may have discontinued this model.

I also got a chance to mix some tunes on a pair of KRK E8s. Wow. I never understood how someone could pay 3500 dollars for a pair of speakers. But I totally understand now.
IBM T60 laptop. 2GHz Centrino Duo, 1.5 GB RAM. Windows XP. Echo Indigo IO Soundcard.