Having a Ram/Crash issue if someone could help me out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moonpie

Having a Ram/Crash issue if someone could help me out

Post by moonpie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:38 pm

This is prob an archaic issue thats already been discussed and dealt with since Im still on Live 8, but if someone can help for 2 seconds...

Im on windows 7 32bit, so Im opening a project I made previously on my old computer. Live is crashing with the 'out of memory error' when it registers about 1.25-1.35 RAM usage. My project probably uses 1.4gbs.

I had 2.5gbs installed, updated to 3gbs (I had a 512gb stick I replaced with a 1gb I had lying around), and its still the same amount when live exits.

Ive tried importing the tracks individually, but when it hits that magic number, its goodnight Live.

Its not making sense to me - Ive PLENTY ram left in the tank, everythings running smoothly, I can run other programs if I choose. Can have a firefox open with an extra 400mbs ram usage..

Overall physical RAM usage gets to 2gbs for the entire system (not one program - Im aware of the 2gb limitation on 3gb)

I dont want to buy an extra gig of RAM for €30 to get 4gbs if its a project issue and not a ram issue.

Thanks guys

H20nly

Re: Having a Ram/Crash issue if someone could help me out

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 pm

RAM often has to go in in pairs... depending on the motherboard. so if you have mismatching sizes you will want to make sure that place you have added it makes sense.

DIMMs(slots RAM is inserted into) often have labels like A1, A2, B1, B2 (for example on a motherboard with 4 DIMM slots). so if you have a stick in A1 that is 1 GB and you put a 512 in A2 you might only be running at 512. in the same scenario... you might need to put a stick in A1 and B1... or slot 1 and 3 - so odds and evens. does that make sense?

try moving it around and different configurations. it's often better to go with less RAM than trying to shove all you can find in there.

hope this helps.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 pm

It's your PC...

You are saying that your project is about 1.4GB

You are saying your system usage is about 2GB (I am not sure if that is with live running or not)

You are saying you have 3GB installed

But if you add 2GB + 1.4GB = 3.4GB which is more than you have installed.

If you are shooting for large projects over 1GB you kind of need to have your system in shape to run them. 3GB is not really much to handle that kind of project and don't forget that live cannot simply access all your "spare" ram as there needs to be some left to actually continue running your system.

Solutions would be to reduce the project size, spend a couple of pennies on some ram (get 2 new 2GB sticks that match to save issues. it would be under $100 for sure) or upgrade your whole PC and OS and Ableton to a 64bit rig and install some serious memory and never see that message again.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 pm

^ there you go. sound advice.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 pm

jestermgee wrote:It's your PC...

You are saying that your project is about 1.4GB

You are saying your system usage is about 2GB (I am not sure if that is with live running or not)

You are saying you have 3GB installed

But if you add 2GB + 1.4GB = 3.4GB which is more than you have installed.

If you are shooting for large projects over 1GB you kind of need to have your system in shape to run them. 3GB is not really much to handle that kind of project and don't forget that live cannot simply access all your "spare" ram as there needs to be some left to actually continue running your system.

Solutions would be to reduce the project size, spend a couple of pennies on some ram (get 2 new 2GB sticks that match to save issues. it would be under $100 for sure) or upgrade your whole PC and OS and Ableton to a 64bit rig and install some serious memory and never see that message again.

Sorry, meant 2gbs overall (including Live) - This is from 'physical memory usage' in task manager.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 pm

H20nly wrote:RAM often has to go in in pairs... depending on the motherboard. so if you have mismatching sizes you will want to make sure that place you have added it makes sense.

DIMMs(slots RAM is inserted into) often have labels like A1, A2, B1, B2 (for example on a motherboard with 4 DIMM slots). so if you have a stick in A1 that is 1 GB and you put a 512 in A2 you might only be running at 512. in the same scenario... you might need to put a stick in A1 and B1... or slot 1 and 3 - so odds and evens. does that make sense?

try moving it around and different configurations. it's often better to go with less RAM than trying to shove all you can find in there.

hope this helps.

This could actually be genius advice, Ill have a look and let you know, thanks.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:39 pm

cool. glad it makes sense... i was feeling less than articulate.

if you have a user manual for your motherboard it should tell you exactly what configurations will work. if your computer was prefabbed... as in bought from Dell or HP (for example) then you'll just have to fiddle and reboot a few times to figure it out.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:11 am

H20nly wrote:cool. glad it makes sense... i was feeling less than articulate.

if you have a user manual for your motherboard it should tell you exactly what configurations will work. if your computer was prefabbed... as in bought from Dell or HP (for example) then you'll just have to fiddle and reboot a few times to figure it out.

Unfortunately I tried it and no success. From reading up on the matched pair thing (I normally do buy in pairs) - its meant to extend to both the brand and model of the RAM as well as the size. So Im thinking it could now be the double pain in the ass if Ive to buy 2x2gb sticks.

From a little bit of testing - Studio One can get up to 1.7gbs RAM before crashing, 2.38gb overall. Which sounds about right.

Live just seems to be crashing earlier than Im expecting. Especially with 1gb left overall.

Em. It could be a N.I. battery 3 issue - Ive a couple instances using maybe 3 samples each. Maybe they need more overhead and are pushing it higher than the reality. Its about 100mbs ram for each instance and since Im only using 3 percussion samples each its pretty hefty. Ill prob just import those all to the same instance to bring it down.

Anyways thanks for the help! Anymore brainwaves are welcome!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:49 am

RAM.

buy some more. Install to spec. quickest/cheapest upgrade to a computer with instant results.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:56 am

I hate to say it, and I'm probably going to get some flack, but x64 with MINIMUM 6GB of ram is the only real way to get around this. You might be able to get 4GB of ram to perform reasonably well with the mod for 32 accessing extra ram, but you are kinda beating your head into a brick wall.

In fact, many people running 32 bit have more than 4GB of ram, and even though they cannot access more than 4GB, they don't have quite the limitation.

Also, win7 (and vista before) use about 1.4GB just to run (maybe that was already mentioned?)

Please trust me, if you can afford it, it's very nice running x64. It's been 45 months with this x64 machine and just 8GB of ram, and I never run into that problem. Not even running really demanding ram stuff like kontakt, trilian, superior drummer, etc.