Push developer kit: M4L devices for Push!

Discuss Push with other users.
Dchild

Re: Push developer kit: M4L devices for Push!

Post by Dchild » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 am

Big shout out to Because789, loving your work!!!

I'm developing a live set template using push. I've limited the template to 8 audio channels / 8 send channels.

I use a lot of delays/reverb etc...

When i first came across Parameter masher i was like YESSSSS.

I'd like to use the PUSH user mode to turn on / off sends for each of the 8 channels.

Could parameter be adapted so all the pads work as on/off toggle buttons?

Cheers

Joe

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:44 am

Cheers Joe :)
Dchild wrote: I'd like to use the PUSH user mode to turn on / off sends for each of the 8 channels.

Could parameter be adapted so all the pads work as on/off toggle buttons?
The device certainly could be adapted for this task, but it seems to me that Live's internal midi mapping is much better suited for this task. Just map your 64 sends to the 64 pads in user mode and they will act as on/off toggles (you even can adjust the min/max amount of each parameter).
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Dchild

Post by Dchild » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but when you toggle between user / live mode the LED's don't update.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 pm

You are right, that's annoying and could be a bug. At least I can see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to implement the desired behaviour within the remote scripts. Sending a bug report seems a good idea anyway.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 pm

That's the wrong solution. Though I don't know offhand if max for live will allow the right one.

In the max runtime, we can detect when user mode is switched to, and redraw all of our LEDs at that moment. This is the right solution because it allows our apps to keep updating the potential LED state even when the app is out of focus, where putting the redraw in our live remote script would cause whatever was onscreen when we left user mode to return, and that might not reflect current information.

The trick is detecting, in max for live, when the user has switched modes...

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Oh. Hey . Max runtime example.

http://sadfactory.com/inventions/988

(scroll down past the max for live thing)

I still have to write up a proper explanation of what the app does, and probably make a demo video. But you can at least poke around in the source code, if you're into such things.

Why you might care:

* It includes a screen redraw on mode change.

* It also restores poly aftertouch after Live disables it.

...among other tricks.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Dchild wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but when you toggle between user / live mode the LED's don't update.
Ableton has confirmed that as a bug, here's how to reproduce it:

- switch to User mode on Push
- Midi map a send knob to one of the pads
- press the pad once, the send knob is set to 1. and the LED of the pad is lit
- press User button to switch to Push mode
- press User button again to switch back to User mode
--> the pad is not lit anymore
greaterthanzero wrote:That's the wrong solution. Though I don't know offhand if max for live will allow the right one.

In the max runtime, we can detect when user mode is switched to, and redraw all of our LEDs at that moment. This is the right solution because it allows our apps to keep updating the potential LED state even when the app is out of focus, where putting the redraw in our live remote script would cause whatever was onscreen when we left user mode to return, and that might not reflect current information.

The trick is detecting, in max for live, when the user has switched modes...
I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to, we went a bit off topic with the last posts. Or are you talking about the method for User button changes detection I posted earlier (viewtopic.php?p=1533959#p1533959)?

Since I'm on PC I didn't check your app, but had a quick look into the patch. Your sysex method seems actually a lot smarter than the above one. I feel like I need to dive into sysex sooner or later.

M4L

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Because789 wrote:I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to, we went a bit off topic with the last posts. Or are you talking about the method for User button changes detection I posted earlier (viewtopic.php?p=1533959#p1533959)?

Since I'm on PC I didn't check your app, but had a quick look into the patch. Your sysex method seems actually a lot smarter than the above one. I feel like I need to dive into sysex sooner or later.
No clue. I'm confused myself now. :D

I was discussing the fact that, when you switch to user mode, it blanks all of the LEDs rather than turning on the LEDs which were on last time you were in user mode. I think it's on us as app developers to handle that fix, because the LED state when you left user mode may not be the right state anymore by the time you go back. That fix needs to live in our apps, not in the Live Remote Script.

...though, for mapped LEDs like you're talking about (as opposed to "apped" LEDs like I am), I'm entirely wrong. That fix belongs in the Live Remote Script. =)

I haven't tested on PC, but the only feature I know won't work is the app creating its own MIDI ports and routing output to those. You could probably hack around that feature to make it usable, if less user friendly.

...and I'm not so adept in sysex myself. Everything you see there came directly from reverse engineering the Live Remote Scripts. I don't pretend to fully understand it.

I'll have to check out that other thread you linked to -- your method of detecting user mode has a better chance of working in M4L than mine does...

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:50 am

greaterthanzero wrote:No clue. I'm confused myself now. :D
I know that feeling very well :D
greaterthanzero wrote:your method of detecting user mode has a better chance of working in M4L than mine does...
I guess that's true, but the method posted is very quick and dirty. It doesn't take into account that you can adjust User settings by pressing/holding the User button. I'm pretty sure there are better ways to detect if Push is in Push or in User mode, so far I was just too lazy to dig into that :)

M4L

Jeffromusic

Post by Jeffromusic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:42 am

Is there a way to make the Octave Up / Octave down buttons to display a song title with BPM info for a brief second with this app? Just so it can be easier to scroll through songs in a megaset without having to look at the laptop??

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:43 am

What you wanna do seems feasible. Here's the road I would take to accomplish this task:

1. check the LOM if and how you can get to the information you want
2. check this code on how to grab and release a Push button:
viewtopic.php?p=1547544#p1547544
3. check the Push Display patcher from the Dev Kit on how to display things on Push

M4L

nbyte

Post by nbyte » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:59 am

I have updated the push firmware (the one in live 9.1 beta release) and now my own patches using Push developer kit 0.81 don't work anymore in Live 9 and Live 9.1.
Even the example provided with the dev kit are broken.

But I realized that "Parameter Masher 1.3 by Because789" works just fine in Live 9 also in Live 9.1.
My question to Because789: What did you change that in your patches everythig works fine?

Thanks
nbyte

Because789

Post by Because789 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Check this post: viewtopic.php?p=1516088#p1516088

You could also copy the device/track select component from Parameter Masher and paste it into your device.

M4L

nbyte

Post by nbyte » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks Because789... It works now :D

kuehn666

Post by kuehn666 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 pm

dear community,

tried to play around with the polygome64 and my push...loade polygome64 into an ableton track, can see and tweak the parameters on my push but nothing more happens - no blinking buttons or any note output after the polygome64 device....

did i miss something? any other device to load into ableton?

thank in advance!