Having External Midi Hardware Issues with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pinkpaint

Having External Midi Hardware Issues with Ableton

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am currently documenting videos of what is happening and will be posting links to them shortly after this post, so if you don't quite understand my problem, I promise you will once the video comes in. But anyways, I am a Hip-Hop producer looking to get really into experimentation and trying to break away from the MPC. I love Ableton and can feel its versatility when I use it. My only issue is an extremely huge issue: My external midi randomly holds a random note/loop/chord when I use my MOTU micro lite midi interface with ableton. However, when I use my MPC renaissance just as a midi interface and use push as my midi controller, I do not have this problem. I have checked the connection settings of the MPC and have mirrored the MOTU interface to these settings to try to see if it was something I did wrong when setting up my interface and I still had no success. My external midi (analog synths) works completely fine with my mpc being its interface. Is the issue possibly a broken MOTU interface? Ive run the latests driver updates and everything on it. Has anyone ever experienced this? Short videos are on the way of what I am experiencing. I would have no issues using my MPC as my midi interface if it wasnt so gosh darn big lol, id rather use my racked interface. Please help me!

Thank you everyone!

Videos incoming in 15 minutes!

pinkpaint

Re: Having External Midi Hardware Issues with Ableton

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Working Video

http://youtu.be/_HG0P1ONrZw

Non Working Video

http://youtu.be/eK0FkLBRNYo

Please Help!

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 pm

anybody?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Does it cause the "hold" on any connected device? What exactly are you connecting into the MOTU and why?

All my gear has USB MIDI interfaces so I don't have a need for a MIDI interface but I assume you need it for some gear that only has MIDI. From the video you are triggering notes from the Push and they stick. Is Push connected MIDI into the MOTU there?

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Perhaps you should write out (or post a picture or diagram of) your MIDI set-up. seems strange to me but while the videos were helpful in describing the results of the problem they didn't give enough info on setup.

pinkpaint

Post by pinkpaint » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I thank you for your help. I feel that this is my issue, I have gone into midi setup and it isnt connected to anything. I am making a video to document this because it wont allow me to connect it to the devices of my choice. What Am I doing wrong? Youll see in video. Upload in 15 ish mins.

EDIT: Watched a tutorial on youtube on how to setup my exact interface lol, sorry everyone! I was just a complete midi noob, problem fixed!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Good to hear... Will send you the bill for my time :)

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:32 am

put MIDI-OX + midi yoke in between our devices and Ableton.

you need to use 2 ports for each device to avoid loop.

So youredevice -> midi yoke 1 -> ableton.
Ableton -> midi yoke 2 - > your device.

So if your device is plugged as a control surface you can see if it is your device sending accidental notes or the script is doing something wrong.

simplemusic

Post by simplemusic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:56 am

I know this is dredging up a post from the past, but did the OP ever get a solution to this problem.

I am having exactly the same issue using the Max4Live External Midi Controller device. When it's enabled (which I need to be able to automatically record the automation from my ROland SE-02), I get random held notes.

Hoping you managed to get a solution to this problem (4 years ago)

freedomvibes

Post by freedomvibes » Fri May 18, 2018 3:37 am

simplemusic wrote:I know this is dredging up a post from the past, but did the OP ever get a solution to this problem.

I am having exactly the same issue using the Max4Live External Midi Controller device. When it's enabled (which I need to be able to automatically record the automation from my ROland SE-02), I get random held notes.

Hoping you managed to get a solution to this problem (4 years ago)
Having this problem too with an external Korg SV-1 and MOTU 828mk3

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 am

Ahggg this is still an issue sigh!.... it's been like this for years, Ableton told me the problem was Windows. Although I suspect Lives midi stack needs some work.