After 10 years with ableton I just tried Studio One...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kitekrazy

Re: After 10 years with ableton I just tried Studio One...

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:35 am

mareproduction wrote:
login wrote:If you want a very light hosts for heavy plug in use in Mix/mastering stages you should also check reaper.
I think that Reaper is best DAW till this day. It has so many great features in only 10mb of instalation, but it is so user unfrendly and complicated.
It's gotten more user friendly. Using Kontakt you use to have to make a template to route the midi out. Where Reaper is different is they don't waste time on developing additional proprietary stuff like most DAW companies do or bundle 3rd party "gotchas" into it. They develop an audio engine. It's also very stable.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:38 am

jestermgee wrote:I think this topic in some form has cropped up dozens of times (Live sux in department X compared to DAW Y) and in almost every case the findings are always inconclusive.

Every environment is different and it sux for some, works for others like almost all software. That is just how software is.
I agree. Some are like comparing apples and oranges. Some try to mimic others. There's nothing wrong with using more than one DAW these days.

Royalston

Post by Royalston » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:04 am

jestermgee wrote:I think this topic in some form has cropped up dozens of times (Live sux in department X compared to DAW Y) and in almost every case the findings are always inconclusive.

Every environment is different and it sux for some, works for others like almost all software. That is just how software is.

yes, I agree. I'm just posting my findings as a long term, heavy Live user. It may well be my mac...(early 2011, 17" mbp with Samsung 640 pro SSD 512gb ) who knows? Tech support certainly doesn't. Theres certainly some shit going on in the background with Live 9 that craps my computer out regularly.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:34 am

I bought and sold S1 last year as in the end it didn't really offer me anything worth keeping above and beyond Live which I've been using since ver 2.

On my Mac, S1 was nothing special performance wise, certainly didn't notice a step up from Live 8. Now I'm using Live 9 and it runs fine, 2011 iMac, internal drive only.

Shame you're getting so many probs but just to say (I realise that I'm not actually helping here) that I don't get the same experience as you from Live.

(edit: Royalston as in DnB producer?)

Royalston

Post by Royalston » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:38 am

(edit: Royalston as in DnB producer?)[/quote]

yes

Royalston

Post by Royalston » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:41 am

maybe Im just unlucky or this ssd has issues. my songs generally get to pretty high track counts but I'm sparse with heavy VSTs as my computer can't deal with them. 2 reverbs max. no ozone or anything... I freeze and flatten (although that seems a little broken in L9 too! Flatten just crashes my L9)

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 am

The reason for this is that Live is made for live use: when you hit spacebar, it plays immediately, no waiting. You need this to be able to trigger scenes, especially when trigger quantization is set to none. In other Daw's you hit spacebar on a large project, there is always a short delay before it plays....

Ableton should have a "Live" mode button and a "Studio-producing" mode button, this way everyone would be happy
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 am

^ even having the list of things that would theoretically change if that button existed would probably be a means to end certain debates...

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 am

Royalston wrote:
yes
Cool. Sweet tunes mate.

Royalston

Post by Royalston » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Cheers Dazzer! :)
lapieuvre wrote:The reason for this is that Live is made for live use: when you hit spacebar, it plays immediately, no waiting. You need this to be able to trigger scenes, especially when trigger quantization is set to none. In other Daw's you hit spacebar on a large project, there is always a short delay before it plays....

Ableton should have a "Live" mode button and a "Studio-producing" mode button, this way everyone would be happy
Totally agree!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:40 pm

That's where people say they like and hate.... Live uses unusual CPU resource for the instant playback usage.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:15 am

mareproduction wrote:
login wrote:If you want a very light hosts for heavy plug in use in Mix/mastering stages you should also check reaper.
I think that Reaper is best DAW till this day. It has so many great features in only 10mb of instalation, but it is so user unfrendly and complicated.
reaper is amazing, true it does look a bit daunting at first with its enormous menus. I didn't know where to start for a while but then i just figured out how to do some basic things and just ignored the rest. I learn a little bit more each time i use it. The users on the forum are extremely helpful too

hennessey

Post by hennessey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:41 pm

lapieuvre wrote:In other Daw's you hit spacebar on a large project, there is always a short delay before it plays....

This is one of the best ideas I've heard on these forums. I end up changing the buffer size depending on producing or gigging.

soerena

Post by soerena » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm also having some serious problems with a large session (100 tracks), but when I tried turning off all 3rd party plugins, the cpu meter would go all the way down to around 2% and everything was smooth.

I could easily do this in Logic or PT without the same kind of problems, but it saddens me because I really like everything about Live. It just renders it useless to serious production.. at least until they make it less vulnerable to 3rd party plugins.

. for crying out loud, i can't even consolidate, export or resample things without live glitching the audio totally up.

i'm on mac osx 10.7, live 9
8 gb ram
2,2ghz intel core i7

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:01 pm

sowhoso wrote:i rarely have more than 3-4 plugins per track (20-30 tracks, mostly Waves, Slate and IK plugins).
60 to 120 plug-in instances per song. 8O

And to think I used to record just fine on a 4-track cassette deck. :x