PXT

Discuss Push with other users.
ansolas

PXT

Post by ansolas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Heya Guys,
What is your favorite feature of PXT ? I havent bought it yet and I am still trying to figure out if it is usefull for my workflow.

~AnSolas

jestermgee

Re: PXT

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:36 pm

There are many useful features. For $20 it's a great buy.

Features I am loving are

- touch fader maps to last parameter touched or used.
This allows you to touch any parameter in live or tweak with a knob and the strip will mirror what you touch. That saves having to map a macro or drill down into a instrument to automate. Just click a control then tweak. That is speedy for workflow

-clip chop
Just because it is damn fun! Hasn't come in use yet but loading a standard loop and then just chopping it in real time in sync is real fun.

I haven't managed to get fully into all the features yet as I'm sidetracked wrapping vst presets but I knew it was a useful script from the videos and purchased it before my push arrived. No regrets will be had.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:11 am

fave: assign modwheel to touch strip

i'm using PXT General cuz i also use Push with another DAW

lots of cool stuff in PXT

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:37 am

PXT Live

- Map 8 of your favourite parameters to the encoders (Bank A/B)
you can map all available parameters (track basis) and don´t need to select an intrument (blue hand) in first place to control the parameters

- Clip Chop (audio/midi)

- two melodic step sequencer (mono/poly) with pre listen of notes (you can´t do that in the new melodic step seq in 9.1)

- select audio from / audio to / midi from / midi to / crossfade / monitor - from the push hardware

- create a audio track, but auto routed to the last instrument/audio track (audio from) great for sampling/re-sampling

- rudimentary control of the arrangement view (scrubbing rew/ffw / locator / loop start + length / zoom)

- arrangement record from the push hardware (shift+rec)

- capture notes in midi clips ( so only the captured notes are playable on the pads)

- DrumRack mode (all pads for drumracks) you can play 8x8 drumpads

- accent with selectable values (10-63 / random / input / fixed values)

- last but not least the upcoming integration of clyphx.

PXT General

- keyboard shorcuts on the push hw

- map notes / chords to buttons (played as chord or round-robin-step-arp-style)

- programchange (from push hw) / midi channel selection

- map touch strip to modwheel (with/without snap feature)

- polyphonic aftertouch (but not in Live)

- chord mode (play triads with on key)

- MCU support

- free configurable push hardware components (buttons / encoders) all accessible through a nice setup tool

- custom scales

Ok, i think i covered all my favourite pxt features. But there are a lot more 8O

Best thing about PXT is it integrates so well with Push´s standard features and there are "nearly nil" redundant features 8)

Have Fun!

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:36 am

Thank you very much !
I will get it :)

I didnt even know that there are 2 differnet PXT's

>fave: assign modwheel to touch strip
Also possible with PXT Live?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 pm

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37 pm

-

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi,

can any of this get me a customized Sampler set up in Push? (I determine which parameters are displayed on which Push tab and what they are named?

It depends, most limiting and annoying , you cant´t browse samples from push, except in drumracks. you can´t browse samples in sampler 8O and you can´t edit the parameter set of live´s native devices; you can manually configure vst parameters (and edit order/not the bank name), but you can´t map paramters from the push hw

You can setup drumrack+sampler combi. where you can browse samples with push and all parameters are accessible through push hw. each instrument has its own parameter pages - Simpler ( Ampltde / Filter / LFO / PtchMdfr) - but you can´t edit the banks (name/parameter set).

In PXT you get the name labeling in devicemode and you can "learn" a set of 2x8 parameters (Bank A/B).

Live is the limiting factor (atm) :oops: But Push+Live are great. (imho)

Can those parameters still be controlled via Push once the blue hand takes over? So let's say HP freq is one of my favourites. Can I control it in the favourites and than after the blue hand gives me control of the device I can control this HP freq without it saying something like "this parameter is controlled by a different encoder or somesuch?

Yes, you can use the parameters in both modes device(blue hand) + favourites.

I didn't find that in the 9.1 description either: can one do this "melodic" step sequencing on a drum rack as well? Meaning instead of 8 notes being step sequence-able at the same time, you have Kick; HiHat, Tom....etc. visible and accessible at the same time for 8 steps?

poly step mode (pxt) or melodic step sequencer (9.1)
-> in both modes you get a 8x8 grid piano roll, you can sequence the notes with the grid.
limiting edit factor is the grid, you can´t edit more than aight notes at a time, you have to scroll up/down (Oct).
Or you use the push keyboard (chromatic) mode (only with possible with workaround) or drum rack mode in PXT for live play/rec into clips.

- In PXT (Poly) you get the full range (8x8 grid) with a seperate view for Edit Position and Loop Position. You can sequence both Drum Racks and Instruments.
- In 9.1 you get (7x8 grid) top row for Edit Position and Loop Position. You can sequence Instruments (seperated DrumRackMode).
You can use a sampler device with drum kits / multi samples loaded to sequence them with the new melodic step sequencer (9.1)

This is probably just a wish, but can you have your step sequencer not work equally in the arrangement view, but this time effecting the Arrangement clips instead of Session clips? Shouldn't be too hard to implement, no?!
(No) but +1 sounds great :)

Somewhat unrelated:Is it possible to access and/or browse the Groove pool in the clip section via Push?
(No) but you can set the session groove amount from the push hw (pxt)

I really have to look into that clyphX thing it seems :-)
8) try it !

Have Fun!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm

-

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 pm

-

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay.
Fugazi81 wrote:So to clarify:
I have a drum rack with 4 Pads. Each pad contains a Sampler with 128 samples each (Selectable with the chain selector).

So Pad/1 has 128 Kicks, Pad/2-128 Snares, Pad/3-128 HiHats, Pad/4-128 Toms.

Can I, in Live 9.1/or the PXT script, step sequence a pattern of 8 Steps (say 1 bar of 1/8th notes) where I have the 8 steps for the Kicks run directly above the 8 steps of the Snares, directly above the HiHats...etc.
So much better for intricate drum patterns than accessing each drum element after/ and independent of each other.

If yes: Can the setting of the chain selector (assigned to a macro if needed) of each Sampler be also step sequenced?
(So Kick on step1 is sample "Kick123", while Kick on Step3 is sample "Kick003")
Yes, you can.
In 9.1 step automation gets introduced (aka parameter locks /p-locks (elektron)). So you can hold down a pad and set a automation just for this step.
I rebuilded your drumrack and it is possible to set the chainselector for each step. Kick 1 - step 1 / Kick 34 - step 3 etc... all possible and real fun! 8)

In 9.1 you get the melodic step sequencer (poly step sequencer) and you could see all "drum pads" (1-4) on the grid but the 9.1 version doesn´t work per se (not possible at the moment) with drumracks (Live seperates drumracks and instruments).

In PXT (beta) you can do the step automation (9.1) and you can use the poly step sequencer for both drumracks and intruments out-of-the-box.
TomViolenz wrote:Another question came to mind: Can the drum rack send levels (not the general sends) be among those favorites? And would they behave in a "blue hand" manor. (Changing to another pad in a drum rack, changes the sends of this pad/chain then)
In PXT you have a dedicated "Drumrack Sends" Page (Volume, Pan and the first 5 Sends) for each pad :D
unfortunately you can´t map the sends to "the favourites" but you can map the send effect parameters, which aren´t accessible from the push hardware (except you select them with the mouse).

nativeKontrol did a realy good job (Stray is da man 8) ) implementing stuff that is possible with the live api. Everything else missing, but you can do so much at the moment, has to be implemented by Ableton in advance. And they are on a good way. See 9.1 - Step automation is a killer feature.

Have Fun!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:48 pm

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 pm

clip chopping and transposing is freaking incredible
i wish wish you could transpose the midi clips like you can with audio
if that could be done with lives pitch plugin then you could sequence phrases in key if it was followed by a scale plugin

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I watched some of the PXT demonstration videos from the nativeKontrol website. It looks great, but for those of you who've been using it a while - is it worth the $20 (which is not much anyway) and do you find the heavily extended functionality indispensable, pretty cool to have, indifferent, or not used much?

To me, judging by the videos, it seems quite impressive.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 pm

To me, MOST definitely worth it. I think it should actually cost more, it's like buying a completely different device, even more so if you also purchase PXT-Live Plus.

Things I can't live without;
  • Arrangement view control. Scrubbing through timeline, Setting Locators, Jumping to those locators, Punching In/Out, Arrangement Record,
  • Navigation controls. Up/Down doesn't automatically trigger the scenes.
  • Clip Chopping <- amazing.
  • Drum Rack (64 Pad mode)
  • Monophonic Melodic Step Sequencing.
  • PXT-Live+ Drum Rack Mode. Love being able to quickly and easily Transpose the selected pad up/down. Really nice.
These are just the things that stand out for me right now.