Bass Station II = Amazing !!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Theo Void

Bass Station II = Amazing !!!

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:50 pm

My new BFF!
Last edited by Theo Void on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theo Void

Re: Bass Station II = Amazing !!!

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Theo Void wrote:Image
I recently purchased this synth. At first I was contemplating sending it back simply because I was imagining all the other things I could've bought w/ the $$ I spent on it. Things I NEED like a new interface, etc.

But then I sat down and really started to get into it and I must say, this thing is most definitely a KEEPER! I will not be getting rid of it and if it broke, I'd probably buy another one.

It's so much fun to play. The arpeggiator and step sequencer alone are almost worth the price of admission. It's like having a 303. The "ACID" filter adds to the 303'ish-ness too. Distortion and Osc Filter Mod effects are sick!

The sounds that I am getting out of this little plastic box are just ridiculous! I can hardly believe it. The simplicity of the whole lay-out just screams to be tweaked and played. Two Osc, a sub OSC and a noise/ring mod/ext signal mixer. That Sub OSC really brings it all together wonderfully. I've never had so much w/ an envelope in my life.

I'm also having a blast running it through a group in Maschine. Effects>Re-Sample FTW.

IDK. I just thought I'd post this and praise this little beast just in case anyone was looking at it and thinking about grabbing one.
This thing WILL be in my arsenal for the foreseeable future. I'm in love! I find myself getting lost for hours creating these sick, squelchy 303 sounding bass-lines. The filter/Res is pretty wet for sure. It's just dripping.

If you need me I'll be here in Pittsburgh, PA bringing back the ACID.

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:23 pm

well, I can only judge from software versions.
Isn't it limited while having only two oscilators?
since I got V-station vs Bass Station I found out that there is much more and much richer sounds you could get.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm

mbakirov wrote:well, I can only judge from software versions.
Isn't it limited while having only two oscilators?
since I got V-station vs Bass Station I found out that there is much more and much richer sounds you could get.
It's got 2 oscillators, a sub osc, an audio input and a white noise generator/ring mod. So while it is certainly limited when compared to the seemingly endless options of VST's, I really find the limitations liberating and inspiring.

For me. Too many options = Nothing gets done.

I'm in LOVE w/ this synth!! :)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Awww.. Very tempting when you put it like that. :P
Not really happy with any 303 vsts. Even mighty Diva isnt dirty enough imo. Lets see if it gets a 303 upgrade. But yeah I miss a hardware synth from time to time..

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm truly in love. I have bought and sold so many hard-ware synths and I may have regretted getting rid of a few here and there.
Oddly enough, one of the ones I truly regret getting rid of is the MicroKorg. I loved that little thing.

ANyway, the Bass Station II will be here w/ me for the long haul.
I'm creating things w/ this by accident that I wouldn't be able to create in weeks on a VST w/ endless options.

OMG the sweet dripping bass-lines! Delicious!! I can't stop touching it!!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:02 pm

The cool thing about the Bass Station II is that it's a true analog synth. The Microkorg is cool and all but at the end if the day it's just MIDI controller with a sound chip and some DSP that a VST can emulate just as we'll if not better.

The Bass Station gives you something that your computer actually can't. True analog circuitry.

Beyond the sound. The thing I LOVE about analogue synths is that you can do ANYTHING. Lead sounds, bass lines, bass drums, snares, hi hats, pads... You name it. With a few oscillators and filters and some knob twisting you can record an entire song with all its parts. How cool is that?

I'm on the market for an analogue synth as well and I can't choose between the MS-20 mini, Sub Phatty, Bass Station 2 and Minibrute.

They all have their ups and downs.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 am

BoddAH wrote:The cool thing about the Bass Station II is that it's a true analog synth. The Microkorg is cool and all but at the end if the day it's just MIDI controller with a sound chip and some DSP that a VST can emulate just as we'll if not better.

The Bass Station gives you something that your computer actually can't. True analog circuitry.

Beyond the sound. The thing I LOVE about analogue synths is that you can do ANYTHING. Lead sounds, bass lines, bass drums, snares, hi hats, pads... You name it. With a few oscillators and filters and some knob twisting you can record an entire song with all its parts. How cool is that?

I'm on the market for an analogue synth as well and I can't choose between the MS-20 mini, Sub Phatty, Bass Station 2 and Minibrute.

They all have their ups and downs.
IDK why but I really liked the MicroKorg. I can do EVERYTHING it can do w/ any of my VST synths and a MIDI keyboard though, which is ultimately why I sold it. At the time I needed the funds for something else. If my memory serves me correct, I think it went toward buying my Maschine MK2, which, by the way, I would never even think about selling.

Anyway, I was in the same boat. Deciding between the Bass Station 2 and the MiniBrute was a tough one. What made me choose the BS2 was patch memory and the fact that the MiniBrute only has 1 osc. Honestly though, I like the idea of no patch memory and super old school vibe of writing down patch settings or taking a pic of them to remember them. I don't have much other analog gear so the CV/Gate wasn't a factor for me.

Ultimately, I'm very satisfied w/ my choice. I am absolutely in love w/ this synth. ALso, running it through MAschine is starting to become my go to writing platform. I am coming up with so much good stuff that way. The arp/step sequencer is like crack!! I can't stop playing w/ it!

If there is anything I don't like about the BS2 it would have to be the plastic case. It's pretty solid but I do wish the back panel was a bit more sturdy. But that's nitpicking really. The sound of this plastic box totally squashes those complaints. I know the the MiniBrute is heavy and solid and hell. The BS2 w/ 2 osc, 1 sub osc, audio input, ring mod an noise definitely swayed me too. I'm sure the MB's 1 osc and brute factor sounds amazing but I love detuning and osc sync. + the distortion and osc filter mod sounds wicked.

You're right tho. The thought of true analog circuitry is what drew me in and I don't care what anyone says, I can hear/FEEL a difference!
If you're in the market I say definitely check out the BAss Station 2

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 am

Right now my first choice would probably be the MS-20 Mini. It doesn't have patches or an arpeggiator. It doesn't even have note velocity but hey. It's an MS-20! I could use Live's arpeggiator anyway and note velocity is overrated, especially if you're mostly sequencing and have a crap ton of other options to modulate your sound anyway.

The MS-20 Mini is probably a little more versatile thanks to it's 2 HP + LP filters and crazy patch routings. The 3 octave keyboard, is a plus as well and of all modern analog synths it's probably the most "hardcore", no compromise synth. Even the envelopes and LFO's are analogue! It even used the same crazy high voltage as the old one which means it can't be powered only by USB.

The Bass Station has the arpeggiator going for it though. And it would also double as a cool MIDI controller.

Tough call indeed.

tekkers

Post by tekkers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:40 am

it doesnt really sound that much like a 303, but when you are doing 303 emulations it sounds alot better than the original bassStation..

its just a really phat sounding analogue monosynth... but with the 2 osc you can make fifths and stuff

i really enjoyed playing with it in the shop, i was not expecting it to be so much fun to use or to be so good sounding..

hopefully once i have moved house i can set up a proper studio again, as much as i enjoy my plug ins and controllers, i miss having dedicated synths , and the simple pleasure of tweaking and creating your own patches ... one knob per function..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:41 pm

I want both the BS2 and the MS20 mini at some point. No reason to not have both really. :P

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:11 pm

MS-20 Mini - GET ONE!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:08 pm

ze2be wrote:Awww.. Very tempting when you put it like that. :P
Not really happy with any 303 vsts. Even mighty Diva isnt dirty enough imo. Lets see if it gets a 303 upgrade. But yeah I miss a hardware synth from time to time..
I snapped and went for the OSC303 and VCF303 (modular 303 in EuroRack).
Been in love ever since. I got the sound I wanted and as a bonus I can send anything trough the filter, have my own custom slides, accent with or without volume changes, etc...

Sure, a "real" 303 would be cool. But lets face it, 75% of the cost goes to paying for the logo of the idiots who destroyed these things by the pallet.

I still need some way to sequence it all properly, but since I'm considering expanding with modular 808, I'm gonna have to go big anyway.
As usual, it means I'm designing a sequencer :lol:

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Hardware makes more fun then software, that is how I see it. The BS2 seems to be a cool synth but I have enough new things to play with.
Talking of the TB303, then try a Studio Electronics 3003. I have one and like it alot. Sounds great and has lots of possibilities.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:09 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
ze2be wrote:Awww.. Very tempting when you put it like that. :P
I snapped and went for the OSC303 and VCF303 (modular 303 in EuroRack).
Been in love ever since. I got the sound I wanted and as a bonus I can send anything trough the filter, have my own custom slides, accent with or without volume changes, etc...

Sure, a "real" 303 would be cool. But lets face it, 75% of the cost goes to paying for the logo of the idiots who destroyed these things by the pallet.

I still need some way to sequence it all properly, but since I'm considering expanding with modular 808, I'm gonna have to go big anyway.
As usual, it means I'm designing a sequencer :lol:
I haven't actually tried the BS II yet but I think the filter has an "Acid" setting which is basically supposed to be a 303 emulation.

Maybe that's what you're looking for. :)