Lately I've been getting tiny little crackles

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Lately I've been getting tiny little crackles

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:28 pm

They are very small and happen only about every 20 seconds or so but they are annoying. I'm not sure if it's my latency settings or what. I've tried turning delay compensation off, I've tried playing with the latency settings. I've changed the apc-40 midi options around. Haven't found a fix yet.

I'm only at like 30% cpu. 3 gigs of ram. Not a very intense set, only a handful of clips and devices.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

-John
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

panten

Re: Lately I've been getting tiny little crackles

Post by panten » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:52 pm

You don't happen to have a MOTU Ultralite mk3 Hybrid do you? I've been getting the same thing occasionally, but only when I leave it running for most of the day.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

panten wrote:You don't happen to have a MOTU Ultralite mk3 Hybrid do you? I've been getting the same thing occasionally, but only when I leave it running for most of the day.
Aha, thats what Im using. I do leave it running however I still get the issue even if I restart live. Maybe reboot the motu or the whole computer will fix it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 pm

8O of all the sound cards... what are the odds?

it sounds like leaving the Motu running is the issue, not Live/computer.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

H20nly wrote:8O of all the sound cards... what are the odds?

it sounds like leaving the Motu running is the issue, not Live/computer.
Yeah what are the odds on him asking about that specific one and me actually having it? Bizarre. I'm gonna look into the issue there and hopefully won't experience it anymore.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Haha weird right..

I just noticed these little crackles a while back so I shut down Live and they continued. Checked the MOTU level meter which was showing small spikes occasionally and the unit was running hot. Shutting it down for a bit seems to fix it.

No idea if this is the actual issue but I presumed it wasn't a Live issue.

Post by 102455 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Are you using it via FireWire or USB?

panten

Post by panten » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:22 pm

USB here

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:00 am

WARNING, RANT COMING ON!!!!!

FFS, they are STILL having this issue? OMG! I sold my traveler years ago and went to an maudio profire for this EXACT REASON! I can't believe they haven't corrected this.

I find it totally unacceptable......total known issue for years and years. Motu, get it together for crying out loud!

END RANT

Sorry, I just couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:54 am

Hm, well it might not be the motu. I tried a bunch of things and was still having the issue, so I left and came back and fiddled with the set and I realized the crackles stopped. So I look at whats different now and the only thing Im noticing thats changed is that Im no longer routing my send tracks back into audio tracks with monitor in. That might not be it either but I wouldnt be surprised if there is a delay compensation bug happening when I route like that.

Or it could just be the god damn motu :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 am

:lol:

It's definitely one of those!!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:49 am

No, rantish aside......, this is a known issue with motu. I can't believe it. They don't make garbage. They sound good but if after all these years they are still having this, then it really says something.

It strikes a nerve with me, though I don't have one. It's not limited to FW/vs/USB and other companies don't have this.

AND ALSO, with me it's experience with MAC AND PC, so it's not the "drivers" :roll:

This is an internal issues with the construction of the device. Ugggggg, I don't even have a motu anymore, why am I so upset!!!! :lol:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:23 am

According to the advice here and advice I got on muffwiggler.com it sounds like if I just turn it off when I'm not using it I should have some luck. Hopefully that'll work. I've always had a bad habit of leaving everything on all the time. I wouldn't turn it off for the benefit of the planet but god damn I'll turn it off if it keeps me from experiencing a couple of crackles during production :)