Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 pm

For the love of god... can't we have an update that remembers I want my FW MOTU 828mk3 if it's connected, else give me the internal sound card. I never want NO audio, it's a music app, and I spend half my time when I open Live having to select either the internal audio or the MOTU! I know it's only a small thing but after YEARS of pressing Cmd-, and choosing my audio in both the dropdown boxes to get audio out my laptop depending whether it's got the external interface turned on it's driving me insane! OS X remembers use the MOTU, else go for internal, and never give me none, and that's not an audio app that has a great advantage by switching over to the decent one.

Surely it can't be that hard...

*facepalm*

P.S. guess who just opened Live and found they had the Audio Interface is Disabled again... :oops:

P.P.S. Yeah, this should probably have gone in the feature requests, but ya know...
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Tone Deft

Re: Remember the Bloody Audio Interface!

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 pm

I rarely see that, I never turn my sound card off, maybe that's why?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 pm

I assume you're not a laptop user then who uses a mixture of internal half the time or has a wire to the Hi-Fi for general sound, or plugs into an external Firewire one when it's time to make music or listen to tunes on the big speakers? If I only ever opened Live when connected to the MOTU I might not notice much, but being a home studio I tend to have the laptop here for everything from TV watching, Facebook, Youtube, listening to music, and writing the stuff. My audio interface is used for a lot of general listening, but equally it's off a reasonable percentage for that too.

Everything else remembers and uses the MOTU one if it's available. Live remembers neither and often tells me the audio is "Off" if the last thing was the other interface. Even without the general listening, if I go to write music on headphones out in different places, then it assumes I want nothing if I turned the interface off before I closed Live.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Makes sense. Desktop user here.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 pm

i get it a lot on my iMac too. i don't always have my interface and monitors on... i have to admit, i've let out more than one or two long sighs while going back into Live's preferences (again).

so yeah, defaulting to the first available would be cool... and makes more sense than 'None'

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:26 pm

+1 on that cap'n

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:53 am

Yes please, it drives me crazy that Live can't remember to switch to my interface when it's connected. Especially since this is how the OS works anyway.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

chase

Post by chase » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:37 am

This exact problem is irritating the hell out of me.

It's not just a matter of re-selecting the interface, either; I often have to change the buffer size back to the previous value, re-enable input and output channels, and even change the damn channels for a project that used to work earlier on the same day, just because I moved my laptop across the room. Just spent an hour or two trying to figure out why I wasn't hearing any audio output, only to discover that I had to change the channel assignments on the Master Outs. Why? Hell if I know, they worked this morning and I didn't change anything. It's 2013, how bloody hard can it be to make this stuff just work?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:59 am

^ 8O

that sucks.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 am

I agree, it would be a great feature to be able to set a default audio interface, so it is used whenever it's available, and if not, then default system audio is used for output. Doesn't seem like a big thing to implement, is it? But saves us all time indeed.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:02 pm

yup, it's a strange oversight.

divonic

Post by divonic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm

I agree. I would also like it if it could remember hardware setup-ups. I use the same laptop in the studio as I do live. (probably not a good practice but when my studio computer died I just replaced it with my laptop.) so when I am in my studio I have a specific set-up of I/O running thru my MOTU 828. But Live I use an MOTU Ultralite and it would be nice to not have to reset up my I/O everytime I do a Live performance (it's not like I'm out performing every week but enough that it is a pain in the ass) I currentlly have a spreadsheet that I have mapped out all the I/0 so I can just follow that when setting things up but it would be nice if Live remembered it for me.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 pm

+1.

It's annoying to have to do this manually every time i plug my Apogee Duet FW into my Macbook Pro.
Osx 10.8.4.
Live 9.0.6 (32 bit).

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm

This is one of the main reasons I've held off on getting an interface even though I know I need one. Didn't realize it was this bad. My studio computer is a laptop and currently it's directly connected to the monitors via a TRS to 3.5mm Y cable. It's convenient but probably doesn't sound as good as it should.

So if I have my laptop connected to an Apogee Duet 2, for example, while I'm making music, and then I want to take my laptop to the kitchen or the couch, I'm going to have to change the preferences in Ableton including buffer size and interface? That's seems like a real hassle. I was wondering how other people deal with this that also use their laptop for making music.

There's gotta be an easier way?

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:15 am

yes. Pita indeed!

Basically everytime i start Ableton Live, I have to
select the interface, samplerate & buffer size again.

Over the years I got so used to this,
I completele forgot how anoying and unnecessary
that behavoir actually is!

So +1