Using multiple Push controllers

Discuss Push with other users.
keithbradyie

Using multiple Push controllers

Post by keithbradyie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi guys,

I know a lot of people are still to get their hands on one Push controller and I'm already back for seconds but does anyone know if two Push controllers can be implemented to work different parameters in Live? I'm just wondering from a DJ/Live performance perspective. I don't have a second Push to try for myself but I'd like to use each Push to control tracks/devices/other parameters independently of each other. Is this possible? Maybe it's already possible or if not it may make for a good update? I understand the Push is aimed at studio production but you could also have a four piece band playing individual instruments live of one laptop.

Asymmetricalmusic

Re: Using multiple Push controllers

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 pm

only one Push per computer will work at least that's the official word.

you can map other controllers like APC40's

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:37 pm

So, there is a workaround, but it requires a second laptop and an additional license of Ableton Live. Awesome.

I agree, this feature would be immensely useful.

It's always been easier to control one instance of Live with numerous controllers than to tempo-sync multiple laptops, and if Push is an instrument, we should see some ensembles forming.

Hopefully it will be added in a point release soon.

keithbradyie

Post by keithbradyie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I think multi-Push support would be a great feature to get the most out of Push's potential. It certainly would be great for performance. For example, you could have two artists, each playing a Push controller in a live performance. Or you could have one artist using two controllers for live performance. Perhaps if even a percentage of Ableton users, bought an extra Push (owning two Push controllers to one Live license), it would cover the costs to implement multi-Push support?

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Just the thread I've been searching for. Definitely want to use multiple PUSH controllers in the same Live set. It would provide better visibility of session view when using a large amount of tracks. I would also like to control the session with one, and the record-enabled track with the other.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

crocronico

Post by crocronico » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Are you shure we can't use multiple push ?They talk about taht in ableton faq:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/push-general-qa/

FAQ:
When using multiple Push devices on one computer, is it possible to lock one Push to certain parameters exclusively? For example, could I use one Push for launching clips and another for modulation simultaneously.
This is possible. Right click on a device header and select “Lock to Control Surface" to lock a Push (or any controller) to that device. 
Last edited by crocronico on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:17 am

JBlongz wrote:Just the thread I've been searching for. Definitely want to use multiple PUSH controllers in the same Live set. It would provide better visibility of session view when using a large amount of tracks. I would also like to control the session with one, and the record-enabled track with the other.

I would like this also as I have like many others I suspect a launchpad lying around collecting dust since acquiring push. IME however there is a slight problem with this at the moment as multiple grid controllers in live are each given control over their own respective 8*8 grid view in session which means that each controller can potentially be offering a view of different parts of a set with no clear indication to orient the user. This may be a feature for some but for me it has worked out to be confusing. I think there should an option to turn this 'feature' on/off.

Also if push is highlighting a track it is as you say record enabled which means that if another grid controller in session view selects an empty clip slot it won't stop the clip but instead will start recording a new clip. This is true for my setup with push (latest firmware) and launchpad in the current beta 9.1b22.

elzinko

Post by elzinko » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 pm

+1 for this capability.
With a friend, we tried to play with two controllers at the same time (one push and one novation sl25 mk2) and it is not easy nor intuitive. even when you lock tracks to instruments, there is no issue for easy recording, or maybe i did it the wrong way. when a change the track with my push, then my friend track would be inactive. i know there exist some write options in live so maybe i did not configure it well.
it would really be great to be able to play with multiple controllers (push for example) at the same time and in live conditions. Ableton team, please give us joy for christmas.

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:27 pm

+1 Please! Can't wait to make a video called "2 Push, 1 Ableton"...remember "2Girls 1Cup"? :lol:
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:31 pm

2 Push 1 CPU might roll off the tongue easier...

anyone have any suggestions where to get the best deal on a Push? i'm thinkin of going there...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:17 pm

What's 2Girls 1Cup?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

a couple of raunchy chicks drinking each other's excrements.

You know the phrase "must see"? It doesn't apply here.

Push or Maschine y2d4?

oneder

Post by oneder » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:06 am

Please make this happen Abe's!

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 am

JBlongz wrote:...remember "2Girls 1Cup"? :lol:
I'm off to get a bite to eat. This shit makes me hungry….

NOT!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

bennniii

Post by bennniii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:00 am

can anyone confirm 2 push-units working on one computer?
any chance to see a video + screencapture?
i'd be gracious! :)