OS X Mavericks & Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zenek

OS X Mavericks & Ableton Live

Post by Zenek » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:48 am

Hi, the migration from Mountain Lion 10.8.4 to OS X Mavericks will not be so "hard" like the Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion right?
And by hard I'm talk about the compatibility of Ableton, Native Instruments, Plugins, etc...

Cheers!

Theo Void

Re: OS X Mavericks & Ableton Live

Post by Theo Void » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:54 am

Who knows???

I still haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion. I should get on that.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:56 pm

OS updates ALWAYS have unforeseen issues, the prevailing logic is to:

1. never upgrade during the middle of a project
2. not be an early adopter unless you are ready for lots of troubleshooting

I always wait a few months at least, I'd never upgrade right at an OS's release, that's just asking for headaches.

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 am

antarktika wrote:OS updates ALWAYS have unforeseen issues, the prevailing logic is to:

I always wait a few months at least, I'd never upgrade right at an OS's release, that's just asking for headaches.

Yes well I'm always wait a few months before to update, but will be nice to hear some official words of Ableton about this...

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 am

well put it this way. I have a FW410 interface, which is oooold now and when I updated to Lion I started having problems with the inputs. Because it's so old and I didn't try using the inputs to record right away then when I noticed it I just thought it must be on it's way out and didn't link it to Lion. Then I updated to ML when it came out.

But I just discovered that when I boot in Windows boot camp the inputs work fine, so there is clearly something wrong with the driver that started on Lion, M-Audio haven't updateed the driver since and now going back would be quite the pain in the arse, so it looks like from now on I have to boot into windows every time I want to use the inputs

you probably don't have a soundcard as old as mine and you might be fine, just thought I'd share my story as an example of things that can make jumping on straight away not always a great idea
Last edited by Forge. on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 am

Zenek wrote:
antarktika wrote:OS updates ALWAYS have unforeseen issues, the prevailing logic is to:

Yes well I'm always wait a few months before to update, but will be nice to hear some official words of Ableton about this...
Yeah, that's almost definitely NOT gonna happen.

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Yes, Ableton going to talk about when Mavericks is already out... Sad

And in other things, the drivers compatibilty is a problem too, damn :cry:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:54 pm

I don't think this will be a big issue.

Basically just wait a few months before upgrading unless u plan on buying a new computer around the time Mavericks is released and have to.

I bet Abe's are testing this right now since most developers get beta copies of new OSs to make sure everything is working right.

Any issues will most likely get ironed out quickly.

Right now is probably too early to make an official statement until release candidates come out. Until then even if Abe's are finding any issues they can pop up with Apple still probably making changes to the code.

I'm sure if they find a problem early they will say something about not upgrading.

Zenek

Post by Zenek » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 am

jlgrimes wrote:I don't think this will be a big issue.

Basically just wait a few months before upgrading unless u plan on buying a new computer around the time Mavericks is released and have to.

I bet Abe's are testing this right now since most developers get beta copies of new OSs to make sure everything is working right.

Any issues will most likely get ironed out quickly.

Right now is probably too early to make an official statement until release candidates come out. Until then even if Abe's are finding any issues they can pop up with Apple still probably making changes to the code.

I'm sure if they find a problem early they will say something about not upgrading.
You're right man, it's too early and always gonna be that way... ( an official statement about get an upgrade or not)

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:57 am

just want to stress again though - it's probably unlikely to be too big a deal with Ableton, it's more likely to be sound card and controller drivers you have problems with and they can also take longer for updates because a lot of manufacturers have a lot of different products they need to update.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Zenek wrote:Hi, the migration from Mountain Lion 10.8.4 to OS X Mavericks will not be so "hard" like the Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion right?
And by hard I'm talk about the compatibility of Ableton, Native Instruments, Plugins, etc...

Cheers!
As pretty as Mavericks looks, i'd definitely wait it out.
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Theo Void wrote:
Zenek wrote:Yes well I'm always wait a few months before to update, but will be nice to hear some official words of Ableton about this...
Yeah, that's almost definitely NOT gonna happen.
Zenek wrote:Yes, Ableton going to talk about when Mavericks is already out... Sad
I'm pretty sure that Ableton addressed Mountain Lion compatibility with a sticky on this very forum before it was released.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:16 pm

And exactly what new features in Mavericks would make anybody want to upgrade immeditately?

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:30 pm

beats me wrote:And exactly what new features in Mavericks would make anybody want to upgrade immeditately?
Multiple displays and icloud keychain but still, nothing i'd do immediately. One cool thing about Mavericks though, it's free. If it doesn't work out, you can always use time machine and restore your old OS.
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 pm

beats me wrote:And exactly what new features in Mavericks would make anybody want to upgrade immeditately?
Aren't you watching the keynote??

:x
Unsound Designer