OS X Mavericks & Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Josh Chambers

Re: OS X Mavericks & Ableton Live

Post by Josh Chambers » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:So far so good, the beta is working fine. Not tested 9 yet.
well regular is the important one ;) Let us know how that one goes. Have you started running VST's as well or just the internal ones?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
stringtapper wrote:TotalFinder = $18

Mavericks = $Free.99
Total Finder = simple, safe, painless, and had Dual Mode. No new operating system required. Installed in 5 minutes. That will do for me (for now).
Thought you didn't have any money?

You were supposed to be saving up for a music theory textbook…

:x
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 pm

oh yeah... there's a total Total Finder thread going on in Operating Systems and Applications and if there's not... then totally make one!

@ Tarekith - what else are you running besides Live, Sudio One and Logic DAW wise? any negativity there?

do you use jbridge, if so :?:

any complaints or happy vibes regarding the new OS look and feel?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

No time for more testing right now, the sun just came out so it's time to hit the mountain bike. Maybe later I'll get back in the studio and try everything a little more extensively. Sorry guys!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Tarekith wrote:So far so good, the beta is working fine. Not tested 9 yet.
Oh man, after reading this, I'm so tempted to install it.
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:I doubt I'll get Mavericks straight away. I've not had Mountain Lion long and I skipped Lion altogether. I still have Snow Leopard as well, but I don't have room for three operating systems. Anyway, I don't want it until I know it's ok.

Regarding tabbed browsing, you have a better version (probably) already using Total Finder, which I've done a review on. It's great because as well as tabs you get dual mode which is great (see pic below). This enables you to join two tabs so they become two Finders joined together, with independent navigation. Great for all sorts including updating your Live beta's scripts and skins.

TotalFinder

This is reminding me Apple needs to bring back multi-window support in iTunes. It’s fucking annoying only having one window to work with when you are trying to create and organize playlists or comparing what you have in your library to what’s in the iTunes store.

I have no clue why they got rid of that convenient feature.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
H20nly wrote:oh yeah... there's a total Total Finder thread going on in Operating Systems and Applications and if there's not... then totally make one!
So what other features are in Mavericks? That was just one that was mentioned, and one I'd heard of.

They added iOS style notifications to Safari. So for example, you could send “New Live 9 quick tips tutorials!” notifications to people who frequent your website. Not sure how that would work on your end.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 pm

it's also supposed to use less RAM through optimization and less CPU by forcing applications that are not the most forward window to throttle down their CPU consumption.

Safari will automatically block adds that move... by allowing you to choose to let them play. apparently they consider this a way to conserve battery/power.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:46 pm

^ i think that is just fancy bookmarks, but it could be cool.

hopefully we'll get the scoop from Tarekith if he isn't in a heap on the floor hugging his Time Capsule repeating "thank God i have you" right now... while his MBP smolders in the background...

bigluc

Post by bigluc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:24 pm

I'm bitting the bullet. I'll test Native Instruments, the native Live packs, general functions, and other VSTs.

Wish me luck! :D

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 pm

iCloud Keychain alone is worth it for me. Great bike ride, at the pub drinking a beer, still haven't got back to the studio, oops. Kinda making me feel like a maverick or something...
Tarekith

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 am

I'm testing it right now.
I've stayed on SL so far because I've done test and it runs way more better than Lion, for Live and audio at least.
... But I have to say that for the moment I'm quite impressed, mavericks is very very smooth, and it (for the moment) it runs Live even better than SL 8O
9.0.5 and 9.1 beta (32 bit), m4L 6.1.4, push, motu ultralite mk3, these seem to work fine, no problem observed for the moment.
kontakt 5 and isotope rx looks ok also. Same goes for audiofinder. <<< oh, it looks like this os wants to spell things for me like on an iphone.

dboy

Post by dboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 am

Installed and running 9.1. No issues, all plugins running fine. Also ran Logic 9 and X as well as PT10. Everything just works.

Alibra

Post by Alibra » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:10 am

bigluc wrote:I'm bitting the bullet. I'll test Native Instruments, the native Live packs, general functions, and other VSTs.

Wish me luck! :D
good luck!! I'm interested to know how it works with NI.
Calvinalibra
APC40 + Push + Apogee Duet 2
Ableton + Maschine
To Self: Learn the equipment you have before you spend a bunch of money on new stuff. New equipment doesn't make you better <-- not working out for me.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:59 am

The strangest thing so far is the default fonts in Safari changed to a skinnier one. Not a huge deal, but definitely keeps making me do a double take.
Tarekith