Any way to open two ableton projects at the same time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
prprprpr

Any way to open two ableton projects at the same time?

Post by prprprpr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 am

Hey hou,

I know you can do it easily in Propellerhead Reason, but was thinking if there is any way around with Ableton? I want to open one song perform it, jump to other one while performing second one, load another... in that way i'm more cpu efficient, especially because i'm using a lot of vsti's. And to me this way is more natural, because I want to use band approach during live performance rather than dj.

Any tips, way arounds? Thanks.

Da hand

Re: Any way to open two ableton projects at the same time?

Post by Da hand » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm

In Preferences: Look & Feel - you can Allow Multiple Instances

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Wow, i never knew you can do this!

What happens to midi mappings? i mean if you have 2 instances of live open
do you controll both at the same time with your apc?

What if you have two songs witch completely different mappings?

So far i had to pack everything I play during the entire concert
into one huge set. being able to open another project, while
the first one is still running appears to be a really nice thing

knrrz

Post by knrrz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:32 pm

this would be great if it works.

in my preferences on L9 there is no "allow multiple instance"?
soundcloud.com/lagrind-noire

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:30 pm

it is there in L9, Preferences > Look and feel (tab)
"Allow multiple instances"

the problem is that it barely works, because the L9 browser's somehow fumbles the Library database so that it's only visible in one version. This is not a limitation of the database itself, it's a flaw in L9.

This is also true if you try and open L9 with a copy of L8 open. L9 will not be able to display the database contents. You can run multiple copies of L8 though. It works fine there.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Angstrom wrote:it is there in L9, Preferences > Look and feel (tab)
"Allow multiple instances"

the problem is that it barely works, because the L9 browser's somehow fumbles the Library database so that it's only visible in one version. This is not a limitation of the database itself, it's a flaw in L9.

This is also true if you try and open L9 with a copy of L8 open. L9 will not be able to display the database contents. You can run multiple copies of L8 though. It works fine there.
Hey Steve, is this in the 9.1 beta? I haven't installed the beta so I can't look. Previous versions of Live will not let you load multiple instances. Multiple plug-in windows yes, but not multiple Live sessions.

Ken

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Ken, it's in both the 9.1 beta and the L9 versions.

Here I have open the 9.1 64 bit version, and the other image is of 9.0x 32 bit. Both of these are making noises at the same time.

Although, like I said earlier, it's a bit pointless because in the second instance opened the browser will be completely empty, due to the way the database is being fumbled.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:Hi Ken, it's in both the 9.1 beta and the L9 versions.

Here I have open the 9.1 64 bit version, and the other image is of 9.0x 32 bit. Both of these are making noises at the same time.

Although, like I said earlier, it's a bit pointless because in the second instance opened the browser will be completely empty, due to the way the database is being fumbled.
Hey Steve,

This must be a PC thing. Live on the Mac doesn't have this feature and I was told by some Ableton guys some time ago that I can just copy another instance of Live to my drive (different folder) and load that second instance which is a bad workaround IMHO.

Thanks,
Ken

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't know about multiple instances of Live. I never tried this and I don't really want to try because it would probably mess with things like MIDI control, audio routing, key mapping, etc.

However, while you're working on a project, you can easily browse other projects and drag and drop individual clips, tracks or even entire projects (all the tracks and clips) intro your current project. Many DJs create "mega sets" this way by combining all their work into a single, giant session.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:26 pm

While the access to "liveclips" through the browser is great I think the OP is after playing one set while simultanously opening another. The "mega-set" approach is used by many, but loved by very few!

I think Paddy (PitchBlack) has an example video somewhere of their live megaset, and it's a freakish diagonal monster. If you've ever used a live performance system which allows multiple sets at once you'll feel the pain of a "Megaset". It reduces your options.

If you are loading songs individually you can mix up your setlist, if you rely on a megaset it all becomes quite fosilised. It's common around here to see people disussing "time to update my live set", meaning : archaological repairs and edits to an unweildy 8000gb behemoth of clips and routings.

If you could load a set whle another set played - greater improvisations become possible.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:35 am

What's the word on this? I was excited to hear about the allow multiple instances option - but disappointed to find that I don't have it on my version of Live 9.1.6 (Mac). Also no word in the manual. What's going on?

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 am

Use 2 computers. A little extravagant, but frees you up from the constraints of the mega live set approach.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 pm

re:dream wrote:What's the word on this? I was excited to hear about the allow multiple instances option - but disappointed to find that I don't have it on my version of Live 9.1.6 (Mac). Also no word in the manual. What's going on?
Yeah, it's been a feature on PC for a few version now, but unfortunately I guess not available on MAC. Although, the MAC version has an upper hand on VST folders, where you can specify two plugin folders, whereas on PC you can only specify one VST folder. Funny how some features are OS specific.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:47 pm

A Dj-like Splitscreen or Performance-mode would be great!! and still reason
tu upgrade to Able10 - until here is no workflow i will not spent anymore money
into controllers or software-upgrades.

I figured out on PC you can run a Push controll Instance 1 and use APC40 to run Instance 2.
If you load in one of the Live`s a new Set - the midi-controllers stick to the Instance.
You may not close one Instance, but load the Sets for ping-pong between those.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=199709&hilit=+APC

maybe they broke this way via the the changes since 9.1

will check out this soon.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 am

Sibanger wrote:Use 2 computers. A little extravagant, but frees you up from the constraints of the mega live set approach.
I have to admit I LOL'ed at this one 8)

Perhaps they should put it in the manual?