Live devices mapping in Push:Community mapping is done! :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Re: Undocumented Live device parameter names

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Ok. I've tried syncr's Sampler settings at the very bottom of page 3, I've copy pasted them and replaced my devices.py file's Sampler settings. Push doesn't work at all anymore after I've done this. I've tried 3 times now, each time more careful than the last. Weird.

I've got the (working) github file opened next to the modified Sampler .py file. The only diff I could spot apart from the bank names and banks, was that after the line SAM_BANKS = (SAM_BANK1, there follows :

SAM_BANK2,
SAM_BANK3,
SAM_BANK4,
SAM_BANK5,
SAM_BANK6,
SAM_BANK7,
SAM_BANK8)

They did not have the single space before them, which I've now added. Still not working

EDit #2: Trie dwith Live 9.05 suite instead, this time trying just the unmodded github file. Push doesnt work. Also tried it again with beta b.23, not working. I'm at a loss.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:24 pm

tedlogan wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
shadx312 wrote:Hey Tom when you're modifying the devices.py see if adding extra banks (like going past bank 8 on sampler) will work!

I know you can bank after 8 on vst's, so maybe you can use all accessible params by writing in extra banks...although maybe you'd have to modify other scripts that reference devices.py....
I think adding banks is trivial, I will do try it in some of my own custom mappings.
If adding banks past 8 is possible, I'm not so sure, I may try it for Sampler, but not before I actually have Push and try out it's behavior with the changed script. But the only thing lacking now from my mapping of 9 banks (8 + Best of Bank) are all the slopes for the envelopes. I have to try out how important that would be for me.
Besides having SOME restrictions is rather helping creativity.
But it shouldn't be too hard to verify if it'd work.
]]

OK live beta b23 - the text from Github has been copy pasted into a new text file, renamed to Devices.py (having removed the actual .txt extension that is hidden by default). Live and Push work fine, but has also created a new Devices.pyc file as it started up. You say this is just Live compiling the .py file, or is is Live not finding one, ignoring my .py file, and creating a new default one? Anyway, I'll edit my.py now with your edited sampler script.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure!
This is not how files work. I mean if you have a back up file already, why make a copy to use THAT?! It wouldn't make sens.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:26 pm

tedlogan wrote:Ok. I've tried syncr's Sampler settings at the very bottom of page 3, I've copy pasted them and replaced my devices.py file's Sampler settings. Push doesn't work at all anymore after I've done this. I've tried 3 times now, each time more careful than the last. Weird.

I've got the (working) github file opened next to the modified Sampler .py file. The only diff I could spot apart from the bank names and banks, was that after the line SAM_BANKS = (SAM_BANK1, there follows :

SAM_BANK2,
SAM_BANK3,
SAM_BANK4,
SAM_BANK5,
SAM_BANK6,
SAM_BANK7,
SAM_BANK8)

They did not have the single space before them, which I've now added. Still not working

EDit #2: Trie dwith Live 9.05 suite instead, this time trying just the unmodded github file. Push doesnt work. Also tried it again with beta b.23, not working. I'm at a loss.
Me too!
I hope syncr checks back in, so we can find out what's happening.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:29 pm

This file should be identical to the one in your own directory, why does it not work?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:29 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
tedlogan wrote:Ok. I've tried syncr's Sampler settings at the very bottom of page 3, I've copy pasted them and replaced my devices.py file's Sampler settings. Push doesn't work at all anymore after I've done this. I've tried 3 times now, each time more careful than the last. Weird.

SAM_BANK2,
SAM_BANK3,
SAM_BANK4,
SAM_BANK5,
SAM_BANK6,
SAM_BANK7,
SAM_BANK8)

Me too!
I hope syncr checks back in, so we can find out what's happening.
Yes, it's probably something very simple that I'm missing. But I find it totally bizarre that it worked a few minutes ago with the unmodded github file, then didnt work with modded github file, then didnt work with any of the files haha! So I'm back to my good ol default .pyc one for now.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:30 pm

TomViolenz wrote:This file should be identical to the one in your own directory, why does it not work?
I dunno man. I will try once more. I just don't understand it, it's so bloody easy to do this type of thing normally.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:32 pm

the text from Github has been copy pasted into a new text file, renamed to Devices.py
Why are you talking about text?
Just download the .zip to your computer and use the devices.py in the _Generic folder.
Not pasting text.
Does it work now?

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Disregard.
Last edited by metastatik on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
the text from Github has been copy pasted into a new text file, renamed to Devices.py
Why are you talking about text?
Just download the .zip to your computer and use the devices.py in the _Generic folder.
Not pasting text.
Does it work now?
nah I still copy pasted, shouldn't make a difference.

It works now. Ok.....breathe deep (referring to myself :), I must've made a mistake somewhere down the line, and each subsequent error was building on that initial mistake. No way in hell am I gonna trace my steps back to see what I did wrong hehe.

EDIT: forgot to confirm that i do now have the edited banks etc

on to phase 2! - extra bank testing!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 pm

OK Tom, and whoever else cares, I have excellent news!

Your Analog settings with 13 Banks works!

Great, gonna have to map my own devices some time, but your Analog setup at present is way better than the default Ableton one. I've set up my default MIDI track to contain: PushMidiClipTransposer - blank instrument rack with 5 empty chains. Now I can easily build and layer anything from Push by loading multiple Analogs, or whatever, into those, and tweak away. NO mouse or keyboard required (apart from the initial set up of course).

I love this thing. The potential is huge if you're willing to properly set it up. ANyway...I'm gonna go off and a tangent again...
Last edited by tedlogan on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:07 pm

tedlogan wrote:OK Tom, and whoever else cares, I have excellent news!

Your Analog settings with 13 Banks works!

Whoo Hooo! :D 8)

The eagle has landed.... :mrgreen:

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 pm

hahah yeah man! See my edited post above for further comments.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm

You are now officially the second person in thr world, with a custom mapped Push 8O

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Good to hear that some of your are achieving what you want here. To make it easier for others, here are some concise (and hopefully helpful) instructions on how to do this correctly for Live 9. For Live 8, you can use LIME.

First, there are a couple of locations you need to be aware of:
  • The location of the Devices.pyc file.
    • On Windows, it’s in one of the following locations:
      • Program Files\Ableton\Live 9.x.x\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Generic
      • ProgramData\Ableton\Live 9\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts\_Generic
    • On OS X, go to Applications, find Ableton Live 9.app, right-click and select Show Package Contents. Then navigate to Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/_Generic.
  • The location of Live's Log.txt file.
    • On Windows, you’ll need to ensure Hidden Files/Folders are shown as Log.txt is in a hidden folder. You’ll find Log.txt either in one of the following locations:
      • Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\Ableton\Live 9.x.x\Preferences
      • Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.x.x\Preferences
    • On OS X, you’ll find Log.txt in (if you’re using OS X Lion or beyond and need help locating your Library folder, please see this article):
      Users\(your name)\Library\Preferences\Ableton\Live 9.x.x

Getting set up for editing:
  • Close Live.
  • Download and install an IDE. I’d recommend Wing 101, which is free and easy to use. This is needed/desirable because it will show you a errors you make while editing.
  • Back up the Devices.pyc file by just copying it and giving it a different (one word) name such as oldDevices.pyc. You should leave the back up in the _Generic folder.
  • Download the de-compiled Devices.py file.
  • Place the Devices.py file you downloaded in the same directory as oldDevices.pyc.
  • Launch Live and ensure that everything is still working. If not, take a look in your Log.txt file for Remote Script errors.
  • Note that, upon launching Live, your Devices.py file will be compiled and thus a Devices.pyc file will be created. You can not edit the *.pyc file, just the *.py file.

The editing process:
  • Use your IDE to edit the Devices.py file as you see fit. Don't make too many changes at once and make sure to pay attention to any errors the IDE points out.
  • After making changes, either re-launch Live or load a new set to test out your changes. If something isn't working, take a look in your Log.txt file for Remote Script errors.
  • It's also a good idea to test your changes with a variety of control surfaces, at the least the ones you personally use. However, you can also test with control surfaces you don't actually have by just selecting the control surfaces in Live's Preferences on the MIDI/Sync tab in the Control Surface section.
  • Once you're satisfied with your changes, copy your Devices.py file and paste somewhere outside of Live's MIDI Remote Scripts directory (in a User folder for example). This will protect it from getting overwritten when installing a new version of Live.

Other notes:
  • You can revert to the original device mapping, by deleting Devices.py and Devices.pyc and then renaming oldDevices.pyc back to Devices.pyc.
  • If you want to share your edited Devices.py with others, you should upload the file as opposed to posting the code you edited as text. Of course, you want to make sure to test it well before sharing.
  • Although changes to the Devices.pyc file are infrequent, they do occur and this could make it so your edited version no longer works. To guard against that, you should learn how to decompile *.pyc files. Unfortunately, explaining how to do it would violate Live's EULA, but it isn't difficult. Just Google it.
Last edited by metastatik on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.