Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Al1d

Re: Control selected track \w keyboard shortcuts

Post by Al1d » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:26 am

Thank you wiffbi,

Finally I will try in Paypal if I can donate without to register in. :wink:

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:17 pm

@Al1d: no prob, thanks anyway!

@dr.mysterium: makes sense. Then I guess controlling Note Repeat for Push via STC is not possible. :(

@TomViolenz: Regarding reordering params: the way it is described here only works for Remote Scripts using Live’s _Framework classes, which STC (currently) does not use. But STC itself offers a way customize its device params ordering described here:

http://stc.wiffbi.com/deviceparams/

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:51 pm

wiffbi wrote: @TomViolenz: Regarding reordering params: the way it is described here only works for Remote Scripts using Live’s _Framework classes, which STC (currently) does not use. But STC itself offers a way customize its device params ordering described here:

http://stc.wiffbi.com/deviceparams/
Well I actually made that tread ;-)
Back when I asked you this question something like what we achieved in this thread is what I was aiming for, I just didn't know the ins and outs of the situation yet. My plan is definitely to get Push, because the way it handles those things, makes the banks upon banks of carefully arranged parameter actually useful!
(It displays the bank names and has dedicated buttons to select the bank and then shows you the parameter names and values) I think trying to achieve this without Push would be somewhat impractical (though a lot cheaper :/ )

But I would have extended use for STC even after I bought Push, if it could do the following:
Let's say in addition to Push (running its script or Strays PXT script) I run my Nocturn through STC like I do now. As far as I know, there is only one blue hand, right?! I could live with that for what I want, if the Nocturn would display the following behavior: Its focus always moves with the blue hand controlled by Push. Then by a push of a button on my Nocturn it locks the Nocturn to the device that the focus was just on, while I can move the blue hand focus of the Push to other devices and tracks. Now Push controls whatever and the Nocturn controls that device (its macros would be enough for me)
When I'm done controlling two different devices, I just push that button again, releasing the lock of the Nocturn, making its focus jump back to wherever Push is at the moment. Would this be doable?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:38 pm

So to make my question easier to understand: is there a possibility to find a device control in STC "Lock to control surface"?
Otherwise I can apparently make an xTrigger in clyphX do this, but it would be cool if my Nocturn could stay to be controlled by STC only.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Tom, you have the ability to lock and switch banks with User Remote Scripts, which means virtually any midi controller can do it, you just need to make the assignment.
ImageImage

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 pm

@TomViolenz: it should be possible to add a MIDI command to STC that locks it to the currently selected/blue handed device. So it would mimic the right click => "lock Selected Track Control to device" behavior in Lives GUI with just a MIDI command. The only thing, I am not sure, whether that works, is: Live’s GUI might not show, which device STC is locked to. The locking to a device normally happens through the right click GUI interaction and this triggers a method call in the MIDI Remote Script. I am not sure, whether I can force the GUI to show the device locked status through the API. Maybe … I put it on the TODO list, hopefully I get it in before friday, else it will take another week before I can look at it.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 pm

shadx312 wrote:Tom, you have the ability to lock and switch banks with User Remote Scripts, which means virtually any midi controller can do it, you just need to make the assignment.
How?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 pm

wiffbi wrote:@TomViolenz: it should be possible to add a MIDI command to STC that locks it to the currently selected/blue handed device. So it would mimic the right click => "lock Selected Track Control to device" behavior in Lives GUI with just a MIDI command. The only thing, I am not sure, whether that works, is: Live’s GUI might not show, which device STC is locked to. The locking to a device normally happens through the right click GUI interaction and this triggers a method call in the MIDI Remote Script. I am not sure, whether I can force the GUI to show the device locked status through the API. Maybe … I put it on the TODO list, hopefully I get it in before friday, else it will take another week before I can look at it.
You are the best wiffbi! :-)
But there is (at least for me) no need to hurry, because it will be at least a couple of month before I can actually buy Push. So do it all in your own time.
(But don't forget to add unlock as well ;-) )

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:37 pm

@TOM: it works – and it shows in the GUI as well! I have update STC to include lock_to_device via MIDI. In the default configuration, the following commands are mapped:

Code: Select all

"lock_to_selected_device": Note(112),
	"unlock_from_device": Note(113),
	"toggle_lock_to_device": Note(114),
Regarding "unlock from device": depending on your workflow you probably don’t need it. Because you just lock to the next device you want to control.

You can download the latest version here:
http://stc.wiffbi.com/files/stc-1.3.4.zip

P.S.: Sorry, I haven’t updated the website for quite some time now, some new feature-descriptions are hidden in this thread. At some point I need to optimize the documentation process …

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Code: Select all

"lock_to_selected_device": Note(112),
   "unlock_from_device": Note(113),
   "toggle_lock_to_device": Note(114),
I was testing this last night with M4L and you only need the "toggle_...", so you only need one button. You shouldn't need the "lock_to_" and "unlock_from" then.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:56 am

So I finally got around to try the device lock out. It works, but not perfectly. When I press the device navigate buttons (Note 67/68) the visual focus still moves between the devices.
The control stays with the locked device as expected though, that's the most important part of course!
But am I doing something wrong, or is that unavoidable?

wiffbi

Post by wiffbi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

But the blue hand stays at the locked device, doesn’t it? The blue hand is the indicator to look for, the focus is just for GUI and mouse/keyboard input, not Control Surfaces. DO you want to have the device navigation to be disabled when locked to a device? If so, why? I don’t see any advantage.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:38 am

wiffbi wrote:But the blue hand stays at the locked device, doesn’t it? The blue hand is the indicator to look for, the focus is just for GUI and mouse/keyboard input, not Control Surfaces. DO you want to have the device navigation to be disabled when locked to a device? If so, why? I don’t see any advantage.
Edit:

I think I just found out about the blue hand :oops:
I had previously never paid attention the the hand itself, and only the moving frame. (Can happen with only one controller)
So disregard my last post, Sorry

Byxx

Post by Byxx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi,

checked a bit, and quite long thread, so forgive me to ask this (again):
How can I arm multiple Tracks that I selected at once? Is there a way with KMIDI?

Thx
LTM
ALS 10 on WIN10