Ableton crashes with Waves plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ccjamz

Ableton crashes with Waves plugins

Post by ccjamz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:36 am

I'm running Windows 7 with Ableton Live 9.0.6 Standard 32 bit. When I use more than a few Waves plugins I start getting a lot of crashes. I really like Ableton but this is not acceptable. Is there a solution? I can't find one! Note, I have tried EVERYTHING Ableton documentation says to do as far as tuning Windows and Ableton settings. It has not helped.

justchris86

Re: Ableton crashes with Waves plugins

Post by justchris86 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:53 pm

is it a hacked version of waves?
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

ccjamz

Post by ccjamz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:31 pm

justchris86 wrote:is it a hacked version of waves?
Definitely NOT! Piracy = bad for everyone. Don't do it!!!

I'm beginning to think it's just a processing issue. Once I freeze several tracks the crashes go away.

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:49 am

Try using the AU instead of the VST or vice versa and see how you get on. I do get some strange behaviour with Waves.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:44 am

Sage wrote:Try using the AU instead of the VST or vice versa and see how you get on. I do get some strange behaviour with Waves.
actually no..
waves supports running in Live only as VST

and in any case.. the dude says he's running Win7

make sure you have the latest version installed of everything (Live/Waves) and also do the windows update thing.. and update your graphics driver
otherwise... contact waves support

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:24 am

3dot... wrote:
Sage wrote:Try using the AU instead of the VST or vice versa and see how you get on. I do get some strange behaviour with Waves.
actually no..
Sometimes the AU works perfectly while the VST doesn't at all and vice versa. If I only used the Waves plugins I have as VST only, I'd only be able to use a handful of them as they don't work.

Didn't spot the first bit about the OS though, my bad.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Sage wrote:
3dot... wrote:
actually no..
Sometimes the AU works perfectly while the VST doesn't at all and vice versa. If I only used the Waves plugins I have as VST only, I'd only be able to use a handful of them as they don't work.

Didn't spot the first bit about the OS though, my bad.
I'd contact waves support team because on Mac Waves VST is known to work perfectly in Live...
The troubles usually start if you have waves plugins in both formats AU/VST in your set afaik
in any case they don't support it as AU.. so I'm pretty certain there's a reason for that...

Post by 102455 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Mr Jamz, how many Waves plugins is "more than a few"?

How many tracks/clips are you running at once?

Maybe Live isn't crashing because of the Waves, but because you're pushing it too much (out of RAM?).

ccjamz

Post by ccjamz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:42 pm

102455 wrote:Mr Jamz, how many Waves plugins is "more than a few"?

How many tracks/clips are you running at once?

Maybe Live isn't crashing because of the Waves, but because you're pushing it too much (out of RAM?).
Thanks to everyone for responding to this. I think that you are right about pushing it too much. I froze a bunch of the tracks with the plugins and all the crash problems went away. It usually takes about 10 or 15 plugins to cause crashing, but that changes depending if a lot of the plugins are processor intensive like Renaissance Reverb.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:43 pm

how much RAM do you have?

32 bit can only use 4GB... so the upgrade to 64 bit usually happens at this stage in our Live.

i recently looked at upgrading my Waves plugs to 64 bit (like my OS is now)... but i don't know if i wanna pay the fee. i have to admit though, it's kinda cool the way Waves lets you pay later to get updates you missed. i think my total was 180 bucks to update 5 plugs which includes the 32-64 bit conversion.

ccjamz

Post by ccjamz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

H20nly wrote:how much RAM do you have?

32 bit can only use 4GB... so the upgrade to 64 bit usually happens at this stage in our Live.

i recently looked at upgrading my Waves plugs to 64 bit (like my OS is now)... but i don't know if i wanna pay the fee. i have to admit though, it's kinda cool the way Waves lets you pay later to get updates you missed. i think my total was 180 bucks to update 5 plugs which includes the 32-64 bit conversion.
I have 8 gig of ram on my box. I'm not sure I understand about updating... you mean waves makes 64 bit versions of the plugins or I have to install the 64 bit version of Ableton then pay an upgrade fee to waves so they work in the 64 bit Ableton? Guess I have some homework to do on the waves web site! Thanks for the info!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:46 pm

well, if you have 8 GB of RAM and have Live 32 bit installed that means that Live is capping out on RAM at 4 GB. that's good... if you have a 64 bit copy of Windows that means all you need to do is download and install Live 9 64 bit and your original issue should go away, since you'll have much more RAM to use in Live.

if you have a 32 bit copy of Windows... then you have 4 GB of RAM that is not being used. :(

as far as Waves upgrades go... i bought several Waves 8 plugs that were 32 bit... because there were no 64 bit versions at the the time. now, Waves 9 is 64 bit. there is an upgrade period that for me expired in April of 2012. so any updates to the plugins (like the new version 9 releases) were covered until April 2012. i can pay a fee to get the upgrade option back. with the plugins i have this will cost 180 bucks. the plan caps out at 300. so even if i had everything Waves has to offer, i would only have to pay 300 bucks to upgrade it all to version 9.

it's worth looking into if you are using Waves plugins that are less than version 9.

ccjamz

Post by ccjamz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks H2Only for all the clarifications. It all makes a lot more sense now! I have 64 bit windows and version 9 waves so I will try updating to the 64 bit Ableton when I get a chance.