HELP getting the infamous red box to display

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dmsChap

HELP getting the infamous red box to display

Post by dmsChap » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi all

I have been fiddling and hacking and pseudo coding for roughly the last 8 hours trying to find a way to map the Emulator software (or any midi device for that matter) to live's session view clips and displaying the red box. I've tried changing the UserConfiguration.txt file, that wasn't successful.

I've tried using pre-made remote scripts (RedBox by Hans Petrov) and auto-made remote scripts (Using the modern.dj website template) and many other things, all to no avail. I can easily manually map buttons in Emulator to clips in live, or use the Mackie Control layout to control live with the Mackie Protocol, but what I really would like is to have the red box so I can move my 'grid' around as such.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but Live doesn't seem to pick up the changes in the remote scripts, even though they're correctly written (I think). Midi out of Emulator is called MIDI FROM EMULATOR (this can't be changed) and the script I made on modern.dj is called AMPad_modern_dj (downloadable here). I have all the channels and midi numbers set correctly as far as I can see, but they don't do what they should as set up in the script and the red box doesn't display.

Just to be clear: midi definitely gets through to live correctly (the little yellow light at the top right flashes and custom mappings work) but remote scripts (which are in the correct AppData folder) don't seem to "sync" and do their job.

Please could someone give me some pointers to fix my issue, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Dev

S4racen

Re: HELP getting the infamous red box to display

Post by S4racen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 pm

You're talking about remote scripts for Live 8 so i hope your not trying rouse it on Live 9 ;-)

Cheers
D

dmsChap

Post by dmsChap » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 pm

S4racen wrote:You're talking about remote scripts for Live 8 so i hope your not trying rouse it on Live 9 ;-)

Cheers
D
No, no. Just normal Emulator and Live 8.4.1.

By the way, I also tried the generic red box script here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=183459 and that didn't show the box either.

Regards
Dev

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 pm

First thing is first.

It surprises me that the red box never shows up, at all??

From my experience, of the script is set up properly, even when I set it up in Control Surfaces as the wrong midi I/O, the box at least shows up. ?? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

dmsChap

Post by dmsChap » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:53 am

yur2die4 wrote:It surprises me that the red box never shows up, at all??

From my experience, of the script is set up properly, even when I set it up in Control Surfaces as the wrong midi I/O, the box at least shows up. ?? Maybe I'm wrong on that.
I've tried it with all my external midi controllers (keyboards and things) and they don't get it to show up either. So you're probably right about it being an issue with the script.

If you use a python script do you need to make any change to the UserConfiguration.txt file or not?

Dev

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:49 am

No but you have to select it as a control surface?

Maybe post some screen shots of your set up….

Cheers
D

dmsChap

Post by dmsChap » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Yep, I have selected it as a control surface in live. Here are some screenshots of my setup, hopefully they will be helpful :)

Midi setup in live:

Files in the RedBox folder (as copied from this thread):

Midi setup in Emulator:

Thanks again
Dev
Last edited by dmsChap on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmsChap

Post by dmsChap » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm not sure why those pics aren't showing up, but here are the links for them:

Midi in live:
here

Files:
here

Midi in Emulator:
here

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Don't use the Appdata directories for Python scripts, it is strictly for the userconfig ones. They are the 'simple' way to customize a controller.

Instead use the directory Live was installed into. Probably called 'ProgramData'

dmsChap

Post by dmsChap » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:36 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Don't use the Appdata directories for Python scripts, it is strictly for the userconfig ones. They are the 'simple' way to customize a controller.

Instead use the directory Live was installed into. Probably called 'ProgramData'
Ahhhh! Thanks so much for the help!