New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJTIVA

Re: New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Post by DJTIVA » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:49 pm

@delicioso
Sorry but how much do your eally use these things? You say it is ok that a Midi group in Maschine is split up to separate channels in Live, sorry but where do you live? There are reasons one wants a group to be group. And further if every sound is routed to a seprarate channel in Live where would we come to? In the end there would be dozens of channels blocked for just a single sound that maybe only pops up once within a track. This is not user freindly and lots of people would rather leave Maschine for something new that can be better implemented into a DAW.
Maschine is not a DAW, so many will rout it into such and if this is not working well you may look for alternatives.

What about the notes with randomly played velocities? I guess, the users do not know how to use Maschine correctly...

I am using Maschie since it was first released and I liked the way it went in the past and did not complain much. But now I must admit that this release is a joke and a fist to the head of users still wanting to use Maschie as VST for example in Live.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:53 pm

DJTIVA wrote:There are reasons one wants a group to be group. And further if every sound is routed to a seprarate channel in Live where would we come to? In the end there would be dozens of channels blocked for just a single sound that maybe only pops up once within a track. This is not user freindly and lots of people would rather leave Maschine for something new that can be better implemented into a DAW.
Maschine is not a DAW, so many will rout it into such and if this is not working well you may look for alternatives.
I'm not arguing against what you want. I don't Maschine in this way so I don't care either way but some people who do use the MIDI drag and drop method probably do prefer to have separate channels and likely requested this feature change. All I'm saying is that it's an example of a feature working differently in a new version, not something that's necessarily broken, and how one views that would differ based on workflow preferences.
DJTIVA wrote:What about the notes with randomly played velocities? I guess, the users do not know how to use Maschine correctly...
How do you know whatever you're talking about has anything to do with someone not knowing how to use Maschine or that it's an actual problem with Maschine? Maschine's MIDI implementation and routing has been completely revamped for 2.0 so it could just as well be a matter of reconfiguring the MIDI setups for however you're integrating it with Live.
DJTIVA wrote:I am using Maschie since it was first released and I liked the way it went in the past and did not complain much. But now I must admit that this release is a joke and a fist to the head of users still wanting to use Maschie as VST for example in Live.
Well, I'm sorry for you that you think it's a joke. You have to realize that not everyone uses Maschine like you do though. The only thing I can say is that you may want to consider bouncing tracks by drag and dropping as audio instead. There are some benefits to doing it that way and you can always re-visit the original pattern and tweak it.

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:02 pm

:evil:

Just my 2 cents...

I totally regret updating.

The new step mode workflow is now crap, loved it before.

Kore VST is no longer compatible, it will freeze Maschine if it tries to load it. Almost all of my previous projects have a Kore VST plug as an active element so when I open these in Maschine 2 the project is broken.

I pretty much only upgraded for the Drum Synths, which I do like, but won't get to even use them for days till I sort out the crap.

So Done with NI

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but can't you open your old projects with 1.8.2...and start new ones with 2.0...
I mean... It's kind of the nature of software to change and sometimes this means leaving old concepts behind...
besides...Kore has been long discontinued now...

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:00 pm

3dot... wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong ... but can't you open your old projects with 1.8.2...and start new ones with 2.0...
I mean... It's kind of the nature of software to change and sometimes this means leaving old concepts behind...
besides...Kore has been long discontinued now...
I don't see the Kore issue that way but no problem agreeing to disagree. NI killing the Kore VST AND the changes to Step Mode just kills it completely for me. Just thought I'd post my experience. This was my last NI purchase. I am just going to freeze my current system so all of my NI stuff will be preserved.

I spent my weekend updating my OS just to accommodate this update, but I did a Time Machine backup so I think I'll just roll it all back and see if I can sell the update.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Why would you rollback? Can't you use them side by side?

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:24 pm

I had to move a ton of crap off my main drive to make space for all the Komplete updates and the Maschine update. The OS update killed a bunch of my apps (PPC no longer supported) which I still need. Admittedly, I didn't realize this would be the case so it's partially just that I'm slipping in regards to keeping up with the technology. Changing a 'stable' system just for some Drum Synths was unwise. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I've derailed the thread enough!

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:22 am

continuous wrote:Changing a 'stable' system just for some Drum Synths was unwise. Lesson learned.
You've just helped me drop my gear lust for Maschine 2.0. Now I can get back to making beats...thank you for that.

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 am

cyclicAMP wrote:
continuous wrote:Changing a 'stable' system just for some Drum Synths was unwise. Lesson learned.
You've just helped me drop my gear lust for Maschine 2.0. Now I can get back to making beats...thank you for that.
Well YMMV! Everything is all rolled back via Time Machine and I'm am relieved.

cheers

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:21 am

It's not looking good.

99 bucks saved here.

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 am

There's a demo - so if you don't have to do a lot of OS updates to run the demo you can try it out without so much hassle!

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Just IMO, Maschine Studio hardware is the best I've used to date. Mind you I've only worked on about 3 projects since opening it on Friday, but outside of a touch screen on those hi-def displays, this, so far, is my perfect piece of gear. I had a 3hr sesh on Friday night and looked at my computer maybe 5 times over that span - simply awesome. I haven't ran into any gripes yet, but I've only scraped the surface and not gotten deep into the hotly contested new MIDI implementation (but I'm ok working with audio exports). I also have a PUSH, and I would say, *for me*, this is way more accessible right out the gate than PUSH. I'm looking forward to using both together, but the Maschine Studio experience was a lot easier transition for me than PUSH (I still find myself forcing PUSH on myself for composing or tweaking). One other thing I really love about this combo is that when I head to the studio I'm typically working with others on the same workstation, and when using PUSH, 2 people cannot work at the same time (VERY annoying if you do not want to hook up 2 computers and midi sync). With Studio, I can focus strictly on putting things together on the hardware while whoever I'm working with can be working with Live simultaneously without interrupting each others workflow - AWESOME.

So while I can appreciate the grips on here, I just wanted to say this is the best purchase I've made - the workflow is unbeatable *to me*.

<dons flame suit>
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 pm

Totally agreed Mehalic!

Long time Maschine user here (since release) and long term Live user (Live since version 2 and this year Push).

The combination of Push and Maschine Studio together is seductively awesome.

In particular, I love arming the MIDI track hosting Maschine in Live 9 with Push in Notes mode, and then using Push's Isomorphic In-Key mode to performa dn record melodic parts into Maschine 2's sequencer (sound targetted being whatever the last pad was I touched on Maschine).

I have both devices rocking my coffee table in front of my "client couch" at the rear of the studio using big 5m USB cables. I've even found a nice little X-stand laptop stand which angles Push precisely at the same angle as Maschine so the two devices feel like operating a single surface.

Maschine Studio almost completely delivers the hardware in a box experience thanks to its awesome displays. I need to train my muscle memory to stop reaching out to touch the screen.

The Step Sequencer is so much fun - eclipses anything I've experienced on high-end dedicated workstation synths.

This is such a great combination for collabs on the same system - just passing the units around between friends. I also have an Arturia Spark and three Mackie Control Universals so potentially I could have a "collaborative band" all working on the same laptop in addition to other players working on my wall of hardware synths.

Looking forward to many sessions over beers this forthcoming summer taking advantage of the city views from my new studio loft/warehouse space.
; )
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:19 am

I upgraded to Maschine 2.0 (I have a Mk2) about a week ago, and am hugely impressed, and I suspect it will get even better. And I am almost certain to purchase Studio as well, before I go Push (I tried Push, but Launchpad S and the mouse/keyboard is all I need with Launchpad95....

Not only does the Mk2/Maschine combo integrate well with Live, but also Sonar X3 (sort of, with the VS-700 control surface in Sonar and the Mackie template for Maschine).

I'm waiting to hear from Ableton again (I'm passing on the first iteration of Push), but when we do, I'm sure it will be awesome as well.....

William

Post by William » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:27 am

jasefos wrote:Totally agreed Mehalic!

Long time Maschine user here (since release) and long term Live user (Live since version 2 and this year Push).

The combination of Push and Maschine Studio together is seductively awesome.

In particular, I love arming the MIDI track hosting Maschine in Live 9 with Push in Notes mode, and then using Push's Isomorphic In-Key mode to performa dn record melodic parts into Maschine 2's sequencer (sound targetted being whatever the last pad was I touched on Maschine).

I have both devices rocking my coffee table in front of my "client couch" at the rear of the studio using big 5m USB cables. I've even found a nice little X-stand laptop stand which angles Push precisely at the same angle as Maschine so the two devices feel like operating a single surface.

Maschine Studio almost completely delivers the hardware in a box experience thanks to its awesome displays. I need to train my muscle memory to stop reaching out to touch the screen.

The Step Sequencer is so much fun - eclipses anything I've experienced on high-end dedicated workstation synths.

This is such a great combination for collabs on the same system - just passing the units around between friends. I also have an Arturia Spark and three Mackie Control Universals so potentially I could have a "collaborative band" all working on the same laptop in addition to other players working on my wall of hardware synths.

Looking forward to many sessions over beers this forthcoming summer taking advantage of the city views from my new studio loft/warehouse space.
; )
I've got both as well. I haven't even thought to use them together in the way that you are doing now. I'm going to try that tonight. Thanks for the tip!
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9