Syncing hardware synth in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thomasgreco

Syncing hardware synth in Live

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:55 am

I've read the manual and am having a hard time getting my Subphatty midi synced in Live. Can someone give me a roadmap of the process to get my synth synced into Live. I have my midi cables going into my audio interface and back as well as my audio into the interface as well. I just am not sure about the options in preferences (midi sync) to choose and what tracks to use and how to route said midi and audio on these tracks. Any help would be apreciated thanks! Always used softsynths so a bit lost :)

outsidesys

Re: Syncing hardware synth in Live

Post by outsidesys » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:15 am

All you need to do is turn on Sync for the Midi Output Port in Live's preferences. Live will then send Midi clock out that Midi port when Live is playing or recording.

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 am

And what types of tracks do I use? A midi track with audio track or external instrument track? Where are they routed on each tracls I/O?

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 am

Live's tracks have nothing to do with sending Midi clock to an external device. Midi clock is sent out designated Midi port regardless of the tracks you have setup in Live.

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:55 am

outsidesys wrote:Live's tracks have nothing to do with sending Midi clock to an external device. Midi clock is sent out designated Midi port regardless of the tracks you have setup in Live.
Ok thanks man.

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:21 am

outsidesys wrote:Live's tracks have nothing to do with sending Midi clock to an external device. Midi clock is sent out designated Midi port regardless of the tracks you have setup in Live.
Alright if I want the midi data to end up as audio on a audio track I use an external instrument track for this? Or?? I essentially want to record my synths midi data on an audio track playing back the syntrhs sounds. Is there a right way routing i/o on this track?

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:30 am

In your MIDI preferences turn ON Track/Sync/Remote OUTPUT for your interface. This allows notes, knob/fader movements and the clock signal to get sent TO your synth via the MIDI cable.

next create a new MIDI track, set "MIDI From" to whatever keyboard or input device you play the notes on (you can always leave this to All Ins), but most importantly set the "MIDI To" to your audio interface. This will send notes from that MIDI track to your synth.

Lastly, create a new audio track and set its input to "Ext In" and whichever pair of inputs you are using on your audio interface (most likely 1&2). this will receive the audio from your synth.

If your audio interface has zero-latency monitoring then you do not need to monitor the audio in Live, otherwise you will hear 2 copies of the synth (one slightly delayed - will cause phase issue). If you are not able to monitor via your interface then you will need to monitor the audio channel to hear your synth.

Arm both audio/MIDI tracks and have fun.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:34 am

^^This, or drop an external instrument on a Midi track: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... instrument

Post by mode:masters » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 am

Yes of course the external instrument is the best option, but i think doing it the manual way first is a good way to understand the signal flow of MIDI and Audio for first timers.

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:32 am

So I'm only running a midi cable out from my interface to the in on the synth correct?

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:36 am

Are you running a PC or Mac cuae I'm PC.

Post by mode:masters » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:48 pm

yep midi out from interface to input on synth.

audio from synth to interface input.

oh and i'm pc.

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Well for some reason I can't get midi and audio to both work at the same time. I have an external inst track with the midi to going to my interface(motu ultrlite) and my audio from accordingly. I'm trying to get the keyboard from my synth to be the midi keyboard triggering its own sounds.

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:32 pm

thomasgreco wrote:Well for some reason I can't get midi and audio to both work at the same time. I have an external inst track with the midi to going to my interface(motu ultrlite) and my audio from accordingly. I'm trying to get the keyboard from my synth to be the midi keyboard triggering its own sounds.
Also for some reason my midi keyboard (not synth keyboard0 wont trigger the synth but I see midi data happening?

thomasgreco

Post by thomasgreco » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Ya I don't know what the problem is I can easily get audio from my Subphatty into live and can record midi data but the midi data wont play back the audio?