Slice to MIDI, then to arrangement track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GimpyGuy

Slice to MIDI, then to arrangement track?

Post by GimpyGuy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Hey, I was wondering if it is possible to slice an Audio File to MIDI, (Slices automatically put into a drumkit (the thing with all the piano notes, without the piano roll), then take the MIDI slices and put them into the arrangement view and treat them as if they are audio files.

If this is not possible, then I'd like someone to suggest an alternative.

What I'm trying to do is:
1. Slice audio file (song) to New MIDI Track (I know how to do this)
2. Take the "New MIDI Tracks" (Slices) and put them into the arrangement view (arrangement vs. session), so I can manipulate them and move them around in my song.
3. Treat the MIDI tracks as if they are audio files in the arrangement view.

Answer when possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

sirvoice

Re: Slice to MIDI, then to arrangement track?

Post by sirvoice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:43 am

Yes, simply copy and paste the sliced clip into arrangement view..................

GimpyGuy

Post by GimpyGuy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:03 am

sirvoice wrote:Yes, simply copy and paste the sliced clip into arrangement view..................
That doesn't work; I've tried it several times.
When I do what you said, it ends up creating another track that revolves around the clip that I inserted; this is not what I want.

I want to turn my MIDI clip into an AUDIO clip, so I can manipulate it and put it into a song that is made through the arrangement view, rather than the Novation Live Launchpad set-up.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:41 am

I'm not sure if this is what you want but, if you freeze a track, you can drag the clips out as audio tracks. You'd still have to cut it up afterwards. When it comes to cutting an audio clip up, there are a few methods.

GimpyGuy

Post by GimpyGuy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 am

yur2die4 wrote:I'm not sure if this is what you want but, if you freeze a track, you can drag the clips out as audio tracks. You'd still have to cut it up afterwards. When it comes to cutting an audio clip up, there are a few methods.
This is not what I'm looking for, BUT I'd like to know more about it.
Could you explain what you mean by, "freeze a track" and "drag the clips out as audio tracks"?

What is freezing a track?
How do I drag the clips out as audio tracks?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 am

Let's say in arrangement or session view, you've recorded some clips that you like the sound of when you play them. But, they are either made by midi and instrument devices, or an audio clip with lots of fx and automation on top.

If you want, you can temporarily compress it all down to a simple wav clip. Then, it can be edited in the way an audio clip would normally be edited. Or, it can help save on CPU since it is just playing a clip, instead of doing a bunch of processing.

So if you create a loop or clip, you can 'freeze' the channel. It turns blue. You can also unfreeze it if you want to mess with the original devices some more.

After you freeze it, you can 'flatten'. This basically says, I'm going to keep it like this as one audio clip, instead of a bunch of devices and fx. From there you only have an audio clip and it is easy to edit as audio instead of midi.

The problem with Flatten is that you can't undo it. So another option is to make a new audio track Next to your blue frozen track. Then you drag your frozen clips into the new audio channel. It'll give you the waveform now of whatever it rendered when you first froze it as a standard audio clip.

Brian Hunt Music

Post by Brian Hunt Music » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:03 am

You can just drop the audio clip in arrangement view and slice it there

GimpyGuy

Post by GimpyGuy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:40 am

yur2die4 wrote:Let's say in arrangement or session view, you've recorded some clips that you like the sound of when you play them. But, they are either made by midi and instrument devices, or an audio clip with lots of fx and automation on top.

If you want, you can temporarily compress it all down to a simple wav clip. Then, it can be edited in the way an audio clip would normally be edited. Or, it can help save on CPU since it is just playing a clip, instead of doing a bunch of processing.

So if you create a loop or clip, you can 'freeze' the channel. It turns blue. You can also unfreeze it if you want to mess with the original devices some more.

After you freeze it, you can 'flatten'. This basically says, I'm going to keep it like this as one audio clip, instead of a bunch of devices and fx. From there you only have an audio clip and it is easy to edit as audio instead of midi.

The problem with Flatten is that you can't undo it. So another option is to make a new audio track Next to your blue frozen track. Then you drag your frozen clips into the new audio channel. It'll give you the waveform now of whatever it rendered when you first froze it as a standard audio clip.
You've been very helpful. Thank you.

GimpyGuy

Post by GimpyGuy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:47 am

Brian Hunt Music wrote:You can just drop the audio clip in arrangement view and slice it there
Yeah, I've done that before, but I want to slice it into midi, and then put it into the arrangement view.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 am

GimpyGuy wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:Let's say in arrangement or session view, you've recorded some clips that you like the sound of when you play them. But, they are either made by midi and instrument devices, or an audio clip with lots of fx and automation on top.

You've been very helpful. Thank you.
A newbee saying thank you! Welcome to the Live forums :)