Proper file managment on Widows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
League

Proper file managment on Widows 7

Post by League » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi guys, finally today, is the day I will be transferring files from my old computer( windows xp) to my new computer (windows 7, 64 bit)
Still using Live 8.4.1

I want to do it the right way, as my old system was really messy. In my old computer, I had my first album and current projects on two different folder on my desktop and my VTS were in my documents/ableton/VTS

I want know the proper way to save the files projects (where are they going). Where are the VTS go? what's the root path or proper workflow...
And finally, transfer all these into a new system, where I'm afraid I'll have missing files, etc....

If anyone can help me out, I'll appreciate so much..

Thanks

League

3dot...

Re: Proper file managment on Widows 7

Post by 3dot... » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:28 pm

3 tips:
install everything from scratch (using default installers settings)
keep only what is ESSENTIAL from your old system (projects docs pics..personal stuff)
prior to copying your projects.. load up each one on your old system and hit 'collect all and save' in Live..

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:57 pm

VST's you can have anywhere you want since you can just point Live to the folder where they reside, although usually the will tend to go to something like program files/VST plugins which makes more sense than to put the in "documents" (plugins are not documents).
As for the "proper workflow" regarding projects, there really isn't one. As long as you save your songs as proper Ableton Live projects (should happen automatically when you save a new set) and keep track of all your samples you should be fine. Just make some structure that makes sense to you.
I've got something like D:/audio/track data/2013/track name

League

Post by League » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 am

3dot... wrote:3 tips:
install everything from scratch (using default installers settings)
keep only what is ESSENTIAL from your old system (projects docs pics..personal stuff)
prior to copying your projects.. load up each one on your old system and hit 'collect all and save' in Live..
Thanks

League

Post by League » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:20 am

snakedogman wrote:VST's you can have anywhere you want since you can just point Live to the folder where they reside, although usually the will tend to go to something like program files/VST plugins which makes more sense than to put the in "documents" (plugins are not documents).
As for the "proper workflow" regarding projects, there really isn't one. As long as you save your songs as proper Ableton Live projects (should happen automatically when you save a new set) and keep track of all your samples you should be fine. Just make some structure that makes sense to you.
I've got something like D:/audio/track data/2013/track name
Thanks