{How I Learned to love and combine Clyphx and STC}

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dr.mysterium

{How I Learned to love and combine Clyphx and STC}

Post by dr.mysterium » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:43 am

[Dr. M's Hybrid Script Technique]
or {How I Learned to love and combine Clyphx and STC}

(Tools needed = More than one midi controller, CopperLan Midi Routing Software,
Selected Track Control Script, and Clyphx Control Script.)

1. Select the same MIDI channel for Selected Track Control Script
AND your Clyphx X-Controls. (Example = Ch. 9)
A. Avoid conflicting cc's & notes between both scripts.
(Clue) - 'Comment out' any unneeded STC functions to free up cc's and notes (as needed)
2. CopperLan Midi routing Software (similar to Midi Yoke)
A. Download and install CopperLan.
B. Merge the selected MIDI Channel from EACH MIDI CONTROLLER (MIDI Ch. 9) into ONE virtual midi cable. (Example = VMIDI 1)
3. Open preferences menu in Ableton, select MIDI tab.
A. Click to enable REMOTE switch for VMIDI 1 INPUT.
4. -The Magic Moment-
A. Select VMIDI 1 as the INPUT for Selected Track Control Script.
B. Select VMIDI 1 as the INPUT for Clyphx Control Script. DONE.

Now one can use all their controllers (AS ONE CONTROLLER!)
for STC Functions, STC Blue Hand Control,
Global Controls, Clyphx X-Controls and X-Clips, Etc....

Continuation of theory (homework)
1. Combine Clyphx controls and STC controls on one pad/slider on Quneo.
2. Use same midi channel page in AUTOMAP to control Clyphx and STC (Novation Controllers)
3. Add more controllers.
4. Invite your favorite User Remote Script to the party.
5. Attempt to replace all 'in project midi mappings' with permanent scripted controls.

Stray, thanks again for Clyphx!
Wiffibi, thanks for STC!
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

dr.mysterium

Re: {How I Learned to love and combine Clyphx and STC}

Post by dr.mysterium » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:48 am

Hybrid Scripting of Clyphx and STC using Only One Controller ; an example

STC has a control for 'detail view toggle'.Note77
Clyphx has commands for
FOCDETAIL -Moves focus to detail
SHOWDETAIL- detail view toggle (on and off)
TGLDETAIL - Changes detail view from clip view to device view.
A clever combination of all of these will triumph over any single one.

I set STC Script as ch.9
I comment out the line in STC script for Detail view Toggle - Note 77 ,by adding # at begining of the line.

I create a Clyphx x-control to replace this Note77 on ch.9 (like this example button below)
SHOWDETAIL_TOGGLE = note, 9, 77, FOCDETAIL ; TGLDETAIL , SHOWDETAIL

This is done using the user control section of the user settings text inside the clyphx script folder.

This button will shift focus to detail and bring CLIP VIEW into to view, when pressed again will close detail view.
When pressed again it will alternately show DEVICE VIEW and another press close device view.
This is far superior to simply toggling detail view with one button and switching device to clip view with another. As a plus when the focus is shifted to Detail view you can use the arrow keys to navigate there.

I then create a page for midi channel 9 on the Nocturn. Open AUTOMAP server under mixer tab is an advanced menu. Check ch.9. I name it STC/CLYPHX under the crossfader.
I create a button for Note77 named 'Detail' on this ch.9 page on the Nocturn. Set it to toggle.

Set AUTOMAP as the input for both clyphx and STC. STC will respond when appropriate,
Clyphx will respond to these new buttons you create to replace more simple functions in STC.
This way you get the best of both accessed from one channel from one controller.
You have now connected midi channel 9 from your Nocturn controller to both scripts (which are set to the same midi channel) accessing a particular function you created within the clyphx script, to replace a particular function in the STC Script with a more configurable, intuitive control, while still maintaining access to all the best of both scripts, with a single page of your Nocturn or any midi controller.

Side note - using Clyphx, one can create controls that operate on several different midi channels at once, it's only the STC Script that only operates on one midi channel, as it is a script for Selected_Track_Control in Ableton Live.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:20 am

dr.mysterium wrote:[Dr. M's Hybrid Script Technique]
or {How I Learned to love and combine Clyphx and STC}

(Tools needed = More than one midi controller, CopperLan Midi Routing Software,
Selected Track Control Script, and Clyphx Control Script.)

1. Select the same MIDI channel for Selected Track Control Script
AND your Clyphx X-Controls. (Example = Ch. 9)
A. Avoid conflicting cc's & notes between both scripts.
(Clue) - 'Comment out' any unneeded STC functions to free up cc's and notes (as needed)
2. CopperLan Midi routing Software (similar to Midi Yoke)
A. Download and install CopperLan.
B. Merge the selected MIDI Channel from EACH MIDI CONTROLLER (MIDI Ch. 9) into ONE virtual midi cable. (Example = VMIDI 1)
3. Open preferences menu in Ableton, select MIDI tab.
A. Click to enable REMOTE switch for VMIDI 1 INPUT.
4. -The Magic Moment-
A. Select VMIDI 1 as the INPUT for Selected Track Control Script.
B. Select VMIDI 1 as the INPUT for Clyphx Control Script. DONE.

Now one can use all their controllers (AS ONE CONTROLLER!)
for STC Functions, STC Blue Hand Control,
Global Controls, Clyphx X-Controls and X-Clips, Etc....

Continuation of theory (homework)
1. Combine Clyphx controls and STC controls on one pad/slider on Quneo.
2. Use same midi channel page in AUTOMAP to control Clyphx and STC (Novation Controllers)
3. Add more controllers.
4. Invite your favorite User Remote Script to the party.
5. Attempt to replace all 'in project midi mappings' with permanent scripted controls.

Stray, thanks again for Clyphx!
Wiffibi, thanks for STC!
Thank you, this is a very informative post! But could you get a little deeper into
Step 1.A.: When is this needed, how do you do it
Step 2.B.: I assume the merging is a function in CopperLan and is very easy to set up there? If not could you also explain how to achieve the merging?

Sometimes programmers don't understand what their audience actually knows and just assume it's easy, because it is obvious to them.

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:25 am

It's Thaumaturgy.
Get your feet wet and give it a walk thru.
I you hit a wall, drop a comment here.
I'll get some additional info together soon to elaborate,
As well as when it's needed, if I can elaborate further.
I feel that alot of understanding can flood in as one puts these theories into practice.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:36 am

What's the added functionality of this miraculous and occult knowledge? What does it allow you to do that you would not otherwise be able to do?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:54 am

dr.mysterium wrote:It's Thaumaturgy.
Get your feet wet and give it a walk thru.
I you hit a wall, drop a comment here.
I'll get some additional info together soon to elaborate,
As well as when it's needed, if I can elaborate further.
I feel that alot of understanding can flood in as one puts these theories into practice.
So you want the community to develop your idea of a method then. I see.
Nothing wrong with that, but it would have been nice, if you would have pointed that out. The way you posted, made it appear like this is already working and you are presenting it to the community as an offering. Kinda like mots and wiffbi do.

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 am

I don't see a need for the community to do anything.
And if these matters were occult, then the following would not be true, that
If a member in need was to be searching, here techniques can be found.
The info posted is not lacking, there is no secret ingredient. Give it a good read.
I offer the results of my effort, and the methods I practice, as so many other contributors have.
I'm sorry that you consider it to be "beta", I feel it needs no further testing.

Post by re:dream » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 am

I still want to know: what's the upside? What will this help me achieve? I have STC, and I am considering Clyphx, but I want to know whether the learning curve will be worth it.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:16 am

dr.mysterium wrote:I don't see a need for the community to do anything.
And if these matters were occult, then the following would not be true, that
If a member in need was to be searching, here techniques can be found.
The info posted is not lacking, there is no secret ingredient. Give it a good read.
I offer the results of my effort, and the methods I practice, as so many other contributors have.
I'm sorry that you consider it to be "beta", I feel it needs no further testing.
So why did you refuse to answer my questions then? Your post read like: RTFM - even though there is none!

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:55 am

Reasons to use this method:
If a person only has one controller, and needs functions from both scripts.
If a person is limited to one midi channel per preset (as in Nocturn) and would like functions from
Clyphx and STC on the same "page".
If a person has mutiple controllers and would like to think of them as 1 controller to simplify the programming process.
If one would like to merge super combos and standard controls.
If one loves ClyphX and STC as much as I, and wishes they were one script.
If one needs to add ClyphX controls and STC controls on ALL their their controllers, in one simple method.
If one intends to optimize all levels of control allowed by the Quneo. (Faders that send note, pressure, and location cc.)
Etc. & Etc...

Post by re:dream » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:12 am

OK thanks. I will ponder on it.

Right now I am pretty happy with STC & don't feel I need anything more. But that may change.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:44 am

dr.mysterium wrote:Reasons to use this method:
If a person only has one controller, and needs functions from both scripts.
If a person is limited to one midi channel per preset (as in Nocturn) and would like functions from
Clyphx and STC on the same "page".
If a person has mutiple controllers and would like to think of them as 1 controller to simplify the programming process.
If one would like to merge super combos and standard controls.
If one loves ClyphX and STC as much as I, and wishes they were one script.
If one needs to add ClyphX controls and STC controls on ALL their their controllers, in one simple method.
If one intends to optimize all levels of control allowed by the Quneo. (Faders that send note, pressure, and location cc.)
Etc. & Etc...
How would it disrupt Pushs functionality if you use it like this with clyphx and STC combined. Pushs user mode, I would like to reserve for the PXT script from Stray. So they would have to integrate some other way. Do you know? (I can't test, as I still don't have Push - money reasons, but I'm planing to get it)
Or could I just use Push as it is, and just keep using my Launchpad and Nocturn for the STC and Clypx capabilities? Wouldn't the blue hands of both collide?
And I'd still like to know what that editing out things between scripts means, could you elaborate?
As I said, this certainly interests me, you discovered a great thing. But I'm still unclear on a few things.
Documentation is very important.
Like you see from the thread length on the STC script. Clypx even has its own forum. 8O

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:24 pm

How would it disrupt Pushs functionality if you use it like this with clyphx and STC combined. Pushs user mode, I would like to reserve for the PXT script from Stray. So they would have to integrate some other way. Do you know? (I can't test, as I still don't have Push - money reasons, but I'm planing to get it)
Or could I just use Push as it is, and just keep using my Launchpad and Nocturn for the STC and Clypx capabilities? Wouldn't the blue hands of both collide?
And I'd still like to know what that editing out things between scripts means, could you elaborate?
As I said, this certainly interests me, you discovered a great thing. But I'm still unclear on a few things.
Like you see from the thread length on the STC script. Clypx even has its own forum.
*Way off mark*.
This territory is barely charted, my friend.

You've posted in other forums about your 'newness'. There are plenty of documents to read.
Here's the manual link.
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/welcome-to-live/

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:34 pm

dr.mysterium wrote:
Like you see from the thread length on the STC script. Clypx even has its own forum.
*Way off mark*.
This territory is barely charted, my friend.

You've posted in other forums about your 'newness'. There are plenty of documents to read.
Here's the manual link.
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/welcome-to-live/
You didn't really just post the link to the Live manual?!
I'm leaving this thread, enjoy your smuggness.... :roll:

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Gotta stop typing before breakfast, I meant to link the push manual.
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using-push/
There should be PXT DOCS on Native Kontrol's site as well. I am not familiar with Push.