Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
dr.mysterium

Re: Launchpad95: Instrument, Scales, Step Sequencer, Device Ctrl

Post by dr.mysterium » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 am

Lured in by the new functions, exited about bringing clip loop extension back in a whole new way..
Thanks again for channel compression. The way it's implemented is brilliant.
Having no problems compressing, or using any other functions.
Your hard work on this script enhances THE creative work flow,
As well as everyone's ease of use, and we thank you. HCE

(Zooming the red box, or banking tracks x 8, when there's no need to scene scroll,
sure would maximize mouseless movement into a whole new dimension!) ;]

Happy Holidays!
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

bartofzo

Post by bartofzo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Awesome, thanks a lot! As far as I can see now the loop extension only works in combined mode right? Or am I overlooking something?
Either way, you made my day :)

mots

Post by mots » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:25 pm

bartofzo wrote:Awesome, thanks a lot! As far as I can see now the loop extension only works in combined mode right? Or am I overlooking something?
yes only in push style step seq. it would be complicated to implement in the multi note mode (i mean clumsy for the user...) and the loop selector makes that very easy !

bartofzo

Post by bartofzo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:04 pm

mots wrote:
bartofzo wrote:Awesome, thanks a lot! As far as I can see now the loop extension only works in combined mode right? Or am I overlooking something?
yes only in push style step seq. it would be complicated to implement in the multi note mode (i mean clumsy for the user...) and the loop selector makes that very easy !
How about holding the velocity button while navigating pages in multi note mode? So if you navigate to a page that doesn't exist yet it extends the loop the same way as in combined mode.

insomniaLab

Post by insomniaLab » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 pm

New Launchpad and forum user here. First just wanted to say that this script is amazing, and I appreciate your hard work on it. Secondly, I've started working on some customizations to the Launchpad95 Instrument Mode which I'll post here.
  • The first change comes in the form of two new scale modes: Diatonic Non-Staggered Scale Mode, and Chromatic Guitar Scale Mode

Diatonic Non-Staggered Scale Mode arranges the notes so that each column is a different octave, with the root note at the very left of the column. This was more practical for me for playing the Launchpad as an instrument, as the staggered setup didn't really click for me when not in chromatic mode. Having the scales setup this way really helps to simplify how certain scales are played.

Chromatic Guitar Scale Mode is pretty much like regular chromatic mode, except the top four rows are all shifted by one semitone. This is so that the bottom 6 rows emulate standard guitar tuning. I added this mode since I'm more familiar with the guitar in standard tuning, and having this mode makes it way more playable for guitar players like myself, especially since you can adopt guitar chord shapes and scales directly.
These new scale modes can be accessed the same way as the old scale modes by hitting the scale edit button, except there are now five red buttons in the top right corner. The order from left to right is Diatonic, Chromatic, Diatonic Non-Staggered, Chromatic Guitar, Drum
  • The second change is the addition of buttons to change the button colors used in Instrument Mode. I wasn't personally fond of the green and red Christmas colors used, but I figured everyone has their own personal tastes, so I baked in a quick script change that allows users to select the colors used. This can be accessed by hitting the scale edit button, and hitting the two buttons in the top left. The leftmost button corresponds to the base note color, and the button to the right of it corresponds to the scale note color. Pressing a button will cycle through available colors.
I originally wanted to put these buttons in the bottom right corner, since they look better arranged there, but I found a bug in the script which I haven't been able to determine the cause of. This bug also occurs in the unedited 2011-11-11 script, but it would almost never come up in regular usage there. Anyway, to get the bug to occur, hold down the scale edit button, then repeatedly mash on either the most bottom right button, or the button to its left. Eventually Instrument Mode will either glitch and reset its values, or it will switch to step sequencer or mixer mode. The log.txt file will also dump a message that says something like RemoteScriptMessage: (Launchpad) Got unknown message: (128, 118, 0) when this happens.

I also disabled/commented-out the block of code that would keep the last channel used for the notes played. What is the purpose of this block of code? Or rather, what is a situation when this would be used/useful? I didn't really understand, but noticed that it was causing the script to crash while I was experimenting with the changes, so I removed it.

Anyway, you can find the modified python files including these changes here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7h8r3bqebo681xg
or
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... 6DFC32!105

These are branched from the 2013-11-11 Launchpad95 files. Simply install those scripts first, then drop and replace those files with the files included in this zip. Feel free to adopt any of it into the master branch or do whatever with it as you see fit.

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 am

Awesome(!)
Haveta check it out. I'm digging the guitar scale mode idea.
I've been switching the solid green used to show a playing clip in zoom mode (hold session button),
To flashing green so it's gets my attention outta the corner of my eye. Pretty simple mod tho.
The color change to inst. mode is icing sir, gonna give it a go.

Thanks InsomniaLab
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

musiklipp

Post by musiklipp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 am

Hey!

does Luanchpad95 work with Live9.1?
i didn't use it for a while and now, after the update to 9.1, it doesn't work anymore.

I'm on mac OS 10.6.8

Thanks!
Karsten

mots

Post by mots » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:20 pm

musiklipp wrote:[*]
does Luanchpad95 work with Live9.1?
i didn't use it for a while and now, after the update to 9.1, it doesn't work anymore.
it does work with live 9.1 (i did not try with the final release but i did try with last beta 26 which i think was the release candidate.)

but make sure you get the last version of launchpad95.

to answer some of the questions i have been receiving all in one place :
it works :
with live 9.0.6 and 9.1. (earlier version like 9.0.2 might work, but no guarantee, just update !)
for live 8 please use launchpad85 ( not supported any longer)
on 32 and 64 bit live.
on 32 and 64 bits systems
on windows XP, 7 and 8 (and 8.1)
on Mac 10.8, 10.9 (in fact on any os supported by ableton)

with Launchpad original, Launchpad Mini and Launchpad S.

bendy

Post by bendy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Any plans to add in the Melodic step sequencing and parameter step sequencing support that push has in 9.1?

mots

Post by mots » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:27 pm

bendy wrote:Any plans to add in the Melodic step sequencing and parameter step sequencing support that push has in 9.1?
it was there before push had it :)

you can select the scale and use muliline note step on launchpad95.
it was already present on launchpad85, launchpad95 just adds the scales and push like mode.

bendy

Post by bendy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Excellent! Have only used multiline mode for drum racks, I will check it out.

Now how about the parameter step sequencing?

mots

Post by mots » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:05 pm

bendy wrote:Excellent! Have only used multiline mode for drum racks, I will check it out.

Now how about the parameter step sequencing?
if you find some unused buttons on the launchpad, please tell me. ;)

musiklipp

Post by musiklipp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:24 pm

i just downgraded to live 9.0.5 and launchpad95 works again..

mots

Post by mots » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

musiklipp wrote:i just downgraded to live 9.0.5 and launchpad95 works again..
which os ? which version of live and which version of launchpad95 (date) you use ?

i will give it at shot tonight.

hri

musiklipp

Post by musiklipp » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:23 pm

hi,

i downloaded the latest version of launchpad95 here:
https://github.com/hdavid/Launchpad95/

i installed again live 9.1 and it's not working again....

i can select "launchpad95-master" in the preferences but the LP doesn't light up.

i'm on OS 10.6.8.

thanks for your help!