touchAble 2 is on the App Store.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tomsk

Re: touchAble 2 is on the App Store.

Post by Tomsk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:32 am

the bite wrote:Last thing:
i,m using a midi controller to record some automation using Touchable.When i go to the recorded automation i see it,s like a ladder, not very smooth.Even if i,m not using a midi controller and only using the fingers, the automation it,s not very smooth.It,s there a way to improve this?
Do you mean when you try and record automation in Ableton using touchable, or is it when you try and record automation within the app?
I'm on the fence about buying this but the ladder effect is a potential show stopper for me. I have this issue with Conductr and it ruins an otherwise good experience. It's like the resolution for tracking movement is really low. It doesn't seem to be such an issue using Lemur templates so i assume its not a limitation of wireless network or something similar.

Anyone else have this issue?

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:43 am

Seems pretty buggy on my end. Quite often, when using the browser I get two of the same devices displayed. Also, when trying to drag a 3rd party plugin onto a track from the TouchAble browser I get a "The Preset cannot be loaded. It is probably broken" message in Live. However, dragging the same plugin from the Live browser works just fine. I also seem to lose my wifi connection a lot, at least Live stops responding to the things I do in the TouchAble app. I don't have this issue at all when using Livecontrol 2 which I also use via the same wifi setup. I may be one of a few, but I have had nothing but issues getting Touchable to work since its version 1 was released. Never had any issues with any other apps like this. :( I really want to like this app, because it seems sooooo powerful and awesome.

Ken
Last edited by kenporter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAGNETO_66

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:20 am

I just upgraded Touchable (going to V2 version) on My iPad, and tried it with Ableton Live 9.1 (Mac Os X Mavericks) BUT i'm getting some issues ... connection time is too long, absolutely unacceptable, indeed and the connection itself between touchable and live works only with the standard WiFi network that i use for the Web ... and Touchable documentation says clearly that this way is unsuitable ... but when i create my own network (as i always did in the past in order to work with touchable), i can't connect Touchable to my live sets ... :( Previous Touchable versions worked flawlessy. B.T.W., i obviously downloaded and installed the last version of touchable's server on my mac. Does anyone experience the same issues ?
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

the bite

Post by the bite » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 am

Tomsk wrote:
the bite wrote:Last thing:
i,m using a midi controller to record some automation using Touchable.When i go to the recorded automation i see it,s like a ladder, not very smooth.Even if i,m not using a midi controller and only using the fingers, the automation it,s not very smooth.It,s there a way to improve this?
Do you mean when you try and record automation in Ableton using touchable, or is it when you try and record automation within the app?
I'm on the fence about buying this but the ladder effect is a potential show stopper for me. I have this issue with Conductr and it ruins an otherwise good experience. It's like the resolution for tracking movement is really low. It doesn't seem to be such an issue using Lemur templates so i assume its not a limitation of wireless network or something similar.

Anyone else have this issue?
yes, if i use only Touchable with the fingers the recorded automation it,s not very smooth.If i use the new function, in which you can use midi controllers on touchable 2, and record automation with this midi controllers,the recorded automation it,s not very smooth.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:35 pm

No server found..

How about Osc?

Le k

Post by Le k » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:05 pm

MAGNETO_66 wrote:I just upgraded Touchable (going to V2 version) on My iPad, and tried it with Ableton Live 9.1 (Mac Os X Mavericks) BUT i'm getting some issues ... connection time is too long, absolutely unacceptable, indeed and the connection itself between touchable and live works only with the standard WiFi network that i use for the Web ... and Touchable documentation says clearly that this way is unsuitable ... but when i create my own network (as i always did in the past in order to work with touchable), i can't connect Touchable to my live sets ... :( Previous Touchable versions worked flawlessy. B.T.W., i obviously downloaded and installed the last version of touchable's server on my mac. Does anyone experience the same issues ?
Please get in touch with our support team, we'll find the culprit, no stress.

Cheers
http://help.touch-able.com/discussion/new
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/ ... ain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 pm

Updated here! It's awesome but slightly buggy on L8.3 & 8.4. Crashes when opening new live set. Korg Nanokontrol 2 doesn't work function smoothly and App won't learn all buttons on it either. That's on iPad 2 iOS 6.1.3 (Not a fan of iOs7 at all here haha!)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 am

Updated here and all is working. Can't wait until the site and documentation is all updated so I know a little more about the icons on the interface but it is a vast improvement over V1 (which I haven't used since updating to win764 due to issues).

I have to say in the quick late night test for just 30 minutes the response and update rate was quite good. I had no noticeable delays in playing over my WIFI network or with feedback.

One question though. Is there any MIDI note feedback to the app at all? Such as on Push you see the pads light up whenever any note information is received by Ableton from any other devices. Touchable cannot do the same? When in the touchable Push interface there is no visual feedback from already playing notes so throws off the simple ability to jump in and get to it when you are not even sure if you are on the right octave page or even scale.

Really need the manual to fasttrack learning... Just tooo much to pick through at the moment. :)

Job well done!!!!

Le k

Post by Le k » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11 am

jestermgee wrote:Updated here and all is working. Can't wait until the site and documentation is all updated so I know a little more about the icons on the interface but it is a vast improvement over V1 (which I haven't used since updating to win764 due to issues).
Quick user guide is included within the app + online on our website + downloadable. Complete video user guide online, 10 videos more than 1 hours of instructions.
I have to say in the quick late night test for just 30 minutes the response and update rate was quite good. I had no noticeable delays in playing over my WIFI network or with feedback.
that's the way it has to work :D
One question though. Is there any MIDI note feedback to the app at all? Such as on Push you see the pads light up whenever any note information is received by Ableton from any other devices. Touchable cannot do the same? When in the touchable Push interface there is no visual feedback from already playing notes so throws off the simple ability to jump in and get to it when you are not even sure if you are on the right octave page or even scale.
Not yet, we'll see in the future
Really need the manual to fasttrack learning... Just tooo much to pick through at the moment. :)

Job well done!!!!
thanks, don' be shy, say it loud everywhere you can, we put so much into this new version free for all existing users that we really need supports from you guys.

501dubz

Post by 501dubz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:57 am

few things i noticed after 2 hours of testing:

- creating an ad-hoc network for the iPad/touchable seems to rob the whole Internet wifi connection which is a bit of a downer as its the only way I'm ever online.

- I managed to get the app to connect to Live only once via the usual 'create network' route. it seems that following the instructions on the site, at least in my case, works randomly.

- featurewise seemed like a fully fledged package. if the connection were easier I'd use this for the midi sequencing capabilities alone.

Le k

Post by Le k » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 pm

501dubz wrote:few things i noticed after 2 hours of testing:

- creating an ad-hoc network for the iPad/touchable seems to rob the whole Internet wifi connection which is a bit of a downer as its the only way I'm ever online.

you can use the ethernet connection for that, or better, focus on your music ;)

- I managed to get the app to connect to Live only once via the usual 'create network' route. it seems that following the instructions on the site, at least in my case, works randomly.
please get in touch with our support and describe your problem
- featurewise seemed like a fully fledged package. if the connection were easier I'd use this for the midi sequencing capabilities alone.
there's no reason you an't get it working perfectly , again get in touch with our support, cheers

Chris / touchAble

Post by Chris / touchAble » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 pm

@501dubz
The AdHoc network is recommended mostly so you can take your laptop to a gig and still connect just fine - in any other case, just use it in your normal home network - unless you notice bad latency (which can sometimes happen if you have a bad wifi router), that is perfectly fine.
We've already pushed an update to apple that fixes some of the issues that could make the connection harder than it should be - as well as the crash that could happen when switching sets. We hope to have it approved soon.

As to the steps while recording: Unfortunately we did not find a way around this yet - but we know of the issue and are working on it. It's not related to refresh rate only - another issue is that two different values (old and new) are always recorded at the same time, so Live does not interpolate between them - resulting in the steps you can see when recording.

@3dot
Unfortunately you are right.. a lot of the things you wish for are not currently possible :/
Browser Search and Preview, creating Group Tracks and racks, groove pool and copy/paste are not accessible yet,
Places are however! but i did not get them to work yet..

Access to racks: yes! One of the next major steps - probably in the first feature update to come
Hot swap mode: will be done! As well as the possibility to decide where to drop a new device
Arrangement mode - markers etc - there is not much in the API yet, but we will probably integrate some kind of arrangement control in the future.. maybe ableton opens up a few more controls for it? :)

@continous
You are right - we will add a possibility to drag and drop instruments, drum racks etc on the midi editor.

@kenporter
Plugins are unfortunately not loadable by the Live API yet.. you can however organize them in a rack and save the preset - you will be able to drag and drop it via touchAbles browser!
And i hope your connection issues will vanish with the bugfix update mentioned above.. hope to have news for you shortly!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 pm

thanks Sylvian and Chris ..

racks are what's REALLY missing for me
Good to hear you're dedicated to this... and that there's a major update in the works..
glad I spent my money with you guys.. good luck !

(let me know if you need help in testing)

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:28 pm

MAGNETO_66 wrote:I just upgraded Touchable (going to V2 version) on My iPad, and tried it with Ableton Live 9.1 (Mac Os X Mavericks) BUT i'm getting some issues ... connection time is too long, absolutely unacceptable, indeed and the connection itself between touchable and live works only with the standard WiFi network that i use for the Web ... and Touchable documentation says clearly that this way is unsuitable ... but when i create my own network (as i always did in the past in order to work with touchable), i can't connect Touchable to my live sets ... :( Previous Touchable versions worked flawlessy. B.T.W., i obviously downloaded and installed the last version of touchable's server on my mac. Does anyone experience the same issues ?
does it work on 10.6.8?

my server icon has a question mark on it

Chris / touchAble

Post by Chris / touchAble » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:01 pm

@flowdesigner The old server got deinstalled - that's why you are seeing the question mark. Check the Applications folder for a new touchAble.app - and run this one - it is perfectly compatible with 10.6.8.

Version 2.0.1 has just been approved and published in the app store - it fixes some of the connection instabilities and issues with clip zooming on sequencer.

Let us know if it fixes the issues some of you were having!
Cheers