4 or 5 band crossover and mastering in ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stonee

4 or 5 band crossover and mastering in ableton

Post by stonee » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:39 am

I would like to do mastering in ableton because I really like the surgical precision of ableton's compressor, the display layout, and my general comfort level with Ableton work flow. I'd like to be able to split my signal into 4 or 5 bands in a rack; low, low mid, mid, and high, (kinda similar to ozone)

using a multiband compressor, its pretty simple to make a fairly transparent 3 band frequency split rack, but I can't seem to figure out how to split it into any more bands without causeing weird phasing.

Is there any decent crossover plugs, or any way to do it natively?

and on a side note, is mastering with ableton plugs even worth while? it seems a well thought out rack is just as capable as any other soft plug you can get.

3dot...

Re: 4 or 5 band crossover and mastering in ableton

Post by 3dot... » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:26 am

While I like it's simplicity and response
the Multi-band crossover in the Ableton MB compressor introduces phase changes in certain bands (close to the x-over freqs)
there are better tools for the job if you ask me.
I use Ableton MB more as a creative tool..

piZMo

Post by piZMo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:17 am

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:41 am

crossovers which are non-linear phase are less than ideal in the mastering process.
the ones which do have linear phase response (like Waves Lin.Phase MB...L3..L316) take considerably more CPU... but are more suited for mastering
This is also true for most digital parametric EQs on the master... a Linear phase EQ with oversampling is preferable.
When using wide-band compression there are no x-overs involved so this isn't a problem so much.