Ableton and TouchOSC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siva00x0

Ableton and TouchOSC

Post by siva00x0 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:21 am

hi all,

first time poster here. i was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on websites where i can find beginner's tutorials on hooking up TouchOSC with Ableton on Windows 7.

thanks!

siva

regretfullySaid

Re: Ableton and TouchOSC

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:19 am

The touchosc website.
ImageImage

yur2die4

Re: Ableton and TouchOSC

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:16 pm

"Windows 8 isn’t just missing the Start Orb or the ability to easily restart/shut down the PC; there are certain other elements that Microsoft either decided to bury deep within the settings, or omit altogether, when compared with Windows 7 and earlier iterations of the operating system. Among them is also the ability to easily create ad-hoc wireless networks using your current internet connection and wireless adapter. Essentially, an ad-hoc wireless connection turns your PC into a virtual Wi-Fi router, allowing other devices to connect to the internet through a shared internet connection, each with its own unique IP address. Until Windows 7, ad hoc connections were a breeze, since there was an option to create one right in the Network Management utility. With Windows 8, the ability does exist; it’s just a little hard to achieve. In this article, we’ll guide you how to create a wireless ad hoc connection under Windows 8.

The procedure outlined here makes use of Windows’ native Network Shell utility, deploying the wlan command within the utility to enable a hosted network that will, in turn, serve as your ad hoc connection. If all this sounds daunting, fret not, for the actual procedure is fairly easy. Follow the steps outlined below, and you should be good to go.

It should be noted that for this method to work, your network interface must be capable of supporting hosted networks. It’s always advisable to update your network adapter to the latest drivers before doing this.

Procedure

Step 1: Launch an elevated command prompt under Windows 8 (one with administrator privileges).

Step 2: Run the following command to verify that your network interface supports virtualization:

netsh wlan show drivers

If Hosted network supported says Yes, you’re all set. Otherwise, you need to upgrade your hardware, if the software update doesn’t fix it.

Step 3: Now, set up the ad hoc wireless network using this command. Replace the parts in markup tags with your own choices

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<enter_network_name_here> key=<enter_password_here>

Step 4: Until now, your hosted network has been created. Now, you need to start it. Use the command below:

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Step 5: You’re all set, with just one thing remaining. If it’s not already enabled, you need to allow Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) for your currently-active internet connection. Simply head over to Network & Sharing Center, and in the properties for the current internet connection, enable ICS. Make sure to select the ad hoc connection under Home networking connection.

Now you can connect any device to the internet using the ad hoc wireless network with internet connection sharing that you just created on your Windows 8 PC."

I forget which website I copied that from. This is if you want an ad hoc connection. It took me quite a long time of procrastination to come down to this method. I had attempted as hoc programs and such and none of it was quite working for me.

Make sure when you open the command line, open of As the Administrator.

After that is set up, you connect your device to the computer on wifi settings.

From there you decide whether you're using OSC, or midi.

For midi, I'd suggest installing rtpmidi. It finds your phone through apple's bonjour network and reads the midi, making a port for your device in the computer.

For OSC, I don't know the details, but when I use the template for controlling Live, I use the download that they offer on their site for that specific layout. It uses OSC instead of midi, so you won't need to be running rtpmidi at the same time.