Effects - help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ-F

Effects - help

Post by DJ-F » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi folks - I am somewhat of a beginner.

I was making a song, and I added an effect to a single clip (a bell I recorded in a Thai temple), an echo effect - think it is called pan delay or similar, and instead of just effecting the 1 clip, it applied it to every clip on the track (in session view, audio 1 which has 4 different clips on it - so every time one of the clips plays in the song, it has pan delay on it). Also I didn't want the pan and delay on every clip of the bell, just on 1 specific one in the middle of the song, but it changed them all.

so, please help - how to apply an effect to a) just one clip in a track, and b) if the clip is used many times in one track, how to apply the effect to just one instance without effecting the rest in the track?

Many thanks ...

beats me

Re: Effects - help

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Somebody might post a work around but in general effects are applied to tracks, not clips. So whatever you slap in the track will apply to every clip in the track.

DJ-F

Post by DJ-F » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:13 pm

beats me wrote:Somebody might post a work around but in general effects are applied to tracks, not clips. So whatever you slap in the track will apply to every clip in the track.
Thank you for the help 'beats me' ...

Does that mean that if I want my bell to echo just twice in a 7 minute song, but not echo 30 times in the rest of it, I set up 2 different tracks with the bell and add effect to one track, and not to the other?

I tried cutting clips out of the track with the echo and pasting them onto other tracks with no echo, but they carried the effect to the other track spoiling the whole track, so I had to just delete them which was annoying ...

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again ..

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:20 pm

One solution is create a return track with the echo effect on it. Then use the send knob on the bell track to send it to the echo return track when you need it. That would give you a lot more flexibility throughout your song and you could also send other tracks through the echo if you wanted to.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:23 pm

^Like they said, use it as a send effect, or build one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCsefne5_g

put the effect on the wet chain, and use clip automation to have dial in the wet rack for the clip you want to effect, and 100% dry on the rest. It's basically like an internal send effect.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:27 pm

DJ-F wrote:I tried cutting clips out of the track with the echo and pasting them onto other tracks with no echo, but they carried the effect to the other track spoiling the whole track, so I had to just delete them which was annoying ...
Unless you are *VERY* confused about what you did, this doesn't make any sense at all, are you saying you copied clips (just clips, not the entire track) to a new session view track, from a track that had an effect device in it, and the clips in the new track had the effect applied to them?

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:43 pm

You didn't say so I'm going to assume that you have the latest version of Live. . . You can automate the device On/Off for just one clip. Turn off the effect in all other clips and turn it on just in the one clip.

I'm not following what you are describing with the cutting clips out of one track and pasting them into another. That doesn't sound like how Live normally functions.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm

divonic wrote:You didn't say so I'm going to assume that you have the latest version of Live. . . You can automate the device On/Off for just one clip. Turn off the effect in all other clips and turn it on just in the one clip.

If you automate the on/off on an effect on the track when you fire the clip(s) that turns it off does it also instantly kill the tail of the delay?

ObiKaNobi

Post by ObiKaNobi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes, effects seem to be applied to all clips within a single track. This can be a little frustrating at first but my work around is automate the effects. Automate it on when you need it, automate it down when you don't. Otherwise, you could make several tracks with each clip having a different effect, however this takes up too much space for me personally, so I go with automation. Saves time and consolidates all clips into one track.

DJ-F

Post by DJ-F » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:26 pm

[quote="divonic"]You didn't say so I'm going to assume that you have the latest version of Live. . . You can automate the device On/Off for just one clip. Turn off the effect in all other clips and turn it on just in the one clip.

Thanks (and to everyone else that has replied). I am not sure of terminology - I think I added an effect as an 'envelope', well I added an effect. Is this the same as adding a 'device' ?

"You can automate the device On/Off for just one clip." ... sorry, (beginner), how to do this?

By the way, I have Ableton Live 8:4:2 and Ableton Live Lite 9:1 - but same problems with both ...

Many thanks

DJ-F
Last edited by DJ-F on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ObiKaNobi

Post by ObiKaNobi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Go into Arrangement view.

Click on the track you wish to edit the effects on. Underneath the title of the track channel, you should see two horizontal bars. Select these, and it will allow you to choose parameters for the effects applied. Then, to the left, where you place clips in arrangement view, will come up a red-ish line. Adjust this up and down to automate effects, such as volume, compression, etc, anything you applied to the channel.

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 pm

I guess it depends on how often the bell sample "hits". If it hits a second time before the effect tail from the first hit disappears, then yeah. it'll take more work, probably two tracks would be the best way to do this.

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm not in front of my studio computer and I don't remember how to do it off the top of my head. and I don't remember if you can do it in Live 8 or if it was a new feature for 9

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 pm

To make sure the trail stays I would put the echo as a Return and then automate the Send level in the clip.

Look up clip envelopes in the manual and YT probly has some info on it too.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

DJ-F

Post by DJ-F » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:30 am

Many thanks folks ... appreciate the help ...

DJ-F