Happy Push owners sound off.

Discuss Push with other users.

Do you use Push "as-built" by Abelton?

Yes, Push allows me to do everything I need & more.
54%
No, but I found a script that added the functionality I needed.
46%

Total votes: 24

thunderkyss

Happy Push owners sound off.

Post by thunderkyss » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Just reading through the forum, it appears there are not very many people satisfied with the Push controller "as-is"

Trying to get an idea of how many satisfied users there are. If you currently use Push without additional scripts, sound off.

panten

Re: Happy Push owners sound off.

Post by panten » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:06 pm

I voted 'No' but I view this as a good thing. The fact that Push is moddable is one of it's plus points.

If you were able to modify the MPC Ren or Maschine and you did a similar poll on their forums you would expect a similar result.. ..but they can't be modded so users are stuck with what Akai or NI give them.

This is one of the major reasons I decided to go with Push and I'm not sorry that I did. I'm amazed at what Stray, Because789 & TomViolenz (and community) have done so far. Thanks guys.

If this was not so, and we were stuck with Vanilla Push, you would see a lot more whinging on this forum, so it's great that we have a wormhole into the future.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:09 pm

I voted the second option, but even if no scripts were around, I'd be happy but mildly annoyed at the omission of some functionality.

Currently using:

Stray's 1.1.1 Push script for parameter fine-tuning, double tapping to reset them, arrangement recording
TomViolenz's enhanced Push default device mappings
Because789's PushMidiCliptransposer + PushColorPicker
Triant's SeaPush colour scheme

I can live without all of those, but would miss them if I somehow lost them. The one main thing I still would like is the ability to rename parameter banks of configured VSTs, and mapping more than 128 parameters. Although that's a Live issue, not Push.

I do love Push overall though - fantastic controller. Don't need anything else.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:13 pm

thunderkyss wrote:Just reading through the forum, it appears there are not very many people satisfied with the Push controller "as-is"
Don't forget that a lot of the people only come to forums if they have a problem or something to complain. I'm pretty sure the majority of the Push users is happy with what they got and therefore "invisible". Don't put too much weight on the picture you'll get here...

I voted no too, but that doesn't mean that I'm not "satisfied with the Push controller "as-is"". As my pre-posters I see the moddability as part of Push "as-is" and one of its strong points. And for the default functionalites I think Ableton does a good job in what they inclued. Of course there's room for improvement, but I believe they hit the thin line between keeping it intuitive and making it too complex by adding new features pretty well.

And thanks for the backing panten and ted :)
Last edited by Because789 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:39 pm

everyone has an idea for how to improve Push

that goes for everything out there from paint brushes to superconducting super colliders

nothing is perfect

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm happy with the default set up, except for the colors, I prefer the Seapush theme. Otherwise it's stock set up for me.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:31 am

The only couple of gripes I have is:

- no access to plugins from browser (requires wrapping in instrument racks)
- No MOD wheel or way to use the touchstrip for mod

The PXT script ads a complete super charger to the user section which is awesome but I still use the default push because it's just quick and easy to get ideas out. PXT and other solutions are for when I just want to waste time tinkering.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:19 am

jestermgee wrote:PXT and other solutions are for when I just want to waste time tinkering.
+1
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 am

Because789 wrote:
thunderkyss wrote:Just reading through the forum, it appears there are not very many people satisfied with the Push controller "as-is"
Don't forget that a lot of the people only come to forums if they have a problem or something to complain. I'm pretty sure the majority of the Push users is happy with what they got and therefore "invisible". Don't put too much weight on the picture you'll get here...
Understood. It's all relative. However, what are the odds that the only problem a user comes to this forum is because they have a problem, or wish to complain about the functionality of the device built in by the manufacturer? Or even the primary reason.

I'm also an auto enthusiast. I buy cars with the intention of modifying them. I visit forums "dedicated" to modifying cars. However, we don't complain that the manufacturer totally missed the boat, which a lot of these scripts suggest. (Understand I'm pretty new to this & it's just my perception that these scripts are a total rewrite).

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're just adding long tube headers or four piston calipers to your hot-rod. But it looks like you took a Camaro & turned it into a 4x4.

Nothing wrong with that. My Push is in the mail & I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting. So far, it looks like I bought a velocity sensitive Launchpad & I'm okay with that. I'm getting in at half the original cost of Push. About the price of any other "64 key" "smart" midi controller.

login

Post by login » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:53 am

There is no way a product like push can satisfy everybody tastes and needs.

And when you add options it strats to become confusing. Devlopers have to make choices and I suposse they try to get the more common needs in balance with simplicity.

Push as it is is a very good controller, it was not intended for some tasks as sample choping, and shines in the melodic/harmony department. For those unsatisfied scripts are the most "open" of options.

That being said there is also fun in working with limitations.

thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 am

login wrote:There is no way a product like push can satisfy everybody tastes and needs.
No, but I would imagine Abelton was trying to hit a home run when they launched it. It appears they hit an RBI double.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:56 am

thunderkyss wrote:
login wrote:There is no way a product like push can satisfy everybody tastes and needs.
No, but I would imagine Abelton was trying to hit a home run when they launched it. It appears they hit an RBI double.
I'm not sure what an RBI double is, but Ableton did not go for the home run, that's for sure. They left such easy things on the table (i.e. the mappings we had to adopt).
It's a good 1.0 product, but not more!
I mean people talk about the great scripting posibilities, but forget to mention that it is actually not allowed in their EULA to edit the python files in their scripts! (De-compiling is the illegeal part).
So all the scripting was not only made harder by only giving us the compiled .pyc files, but they made it in fact illegal! They should have supplied tools for changing the color scheme, the mapping of their own devices, and making maps for .vsts.
For the first two, I'm pretty sure that a simple Java applet would have been good enough!
So it's a great device, but its scripting posibilities are way under- utilized and some no-brainers were left on the table!

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 pm

i use it "stock" and love it, which is a very personal decision.

I don t have as much time for Music as i would like and have always spend much time trying plugins and setting up Controllers, not so much making Music.

As i got Live 9 i switched to a Mac, got Push and decided to only use Abletons Native Instruments and FX.

Since then i just make Sounds and Music when i open Live and i even enjoy not reading the Manual and just using the obvious Features on Push.

I have a day job which i rely like and a great child, so i use Ableton just for my own enjoyment in the Time which i have just for myself and if you do Music for a living your mileage could vary greatly.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

panten

Post by panten » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:
jestermgee wrote:PXT and other solutions are for when I just want to waste time tinkering.
+1
-1 I'm afraid. PXT-Live has become just as useful a tool for coming up with the sound I'm after as the default Push.

login

Post by login » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:51 pm

The value of PUSH and it's succes in what it intends is alsor elative, to Maschine and MPXren. Compare what they offer and see if Push realy is worth for you.

IMHO comparing push to "imaginary superb controller" is futile since the later is not avaible.