The Great BMW Debate

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TomViolenz

Re: The Great BMW Debate

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 pm

scott nathaniel wrote:
beats me wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote:
This is classic. One criminal opines the other criminal's lack of morality. :P
:P

Yes, there’s a special circle of hell reserved for those who cross the street in front of a bar without using the crosswalk.

:x
I don't know what kind of person believes it's ok to cross a street at a point of convenience!
I do. Always!
Something wrong with doing my own risk assesment?

(Or did I miss the joke again?)

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote:
This is classic. One criminal opines the other criminal's lack of morality. :P
Absolutely! I mean he was drunk in public, he should obviously never again opinion on morality, EVER! :evil: :twisted:
The one thing he didn't tell you was that he was wearing sweatpants....while drunk and crossing the road. So get the whole story, ok, V!

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:33 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote: I don't know what kind of person believes it's ok to cross a street at a point of convenience!
I do. Always!

Yes! sarcasm has evaded you once again.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:56 pm

scott nathaniel wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
scott nathaniel wrote: I don't know what kind of person believes it's ok to cross a street at a point of convenience!
I do. Always!

Yes! sarcasm has evaded you once again.
Damn :oops:
(Am I the only non native english speaker left in the Lounge after Myrnovas timely demise? This seems to put me at quite a disadvantage...Hm, or maybe we Germans really do have that cliché shit sense of humor, we are always accused of...hm.....hm....hm....hm......maybe I should start a war, we are good at that :twisted: 8O )

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 am

TomViolenz wrote:
(Am I the only non native english speaker left in the Lounge after Myrnovas timely demise? This seems to put me at quite a disadvantage...Hm, or maybe we Germans really do have that cliché shit sense of humor, we are always accused of...hm.....hm....hm....hm......maybe I should start a war, we are good at that :twisted: 8O )
Well, humour may be a side-effect of sarcasm, but it is not its main purpose. Sarcasm is best when the given responses are based on the respoder thinking that the sarcastic statement was serious and actually worthy of panty-bunching. That gives me pleasure!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:07 am

scott nathaniel wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
Well, humour may be a side-effect of sarcasm, but it is not its main purpose. Sarcasm is best when the given responses are based on the respoder thinking that the sarcastic statement was serious and actually worthy of panty-bunching. That gives me pleasure!
Yes, I should def start a war! :twisted:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:09 am

TomViolenz wrote:
I do. Always!
8O

Having been to Germany quite a few times in the last few years, I find this hard to believe.

I have never seen a German pedestrian cross a street except in almost a painfully lawful manner.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:28 am

The Finn wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
I do. Always!
8O

Having been to Germany quite a few times in the last few years, I find this hard to believe.

I have never seen a German pedestrian cross a street except in almost a painfully lawful manner.
I thought you have been to Berlin?!
We are certainly different here! :twisted:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:33 am

Bonn, Hamburg, Cologne.

Where the people still believe in being "an example for the children"... 8O

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:34 am

The Finn wrote:Bonn, Hamburg, Cologne.

Where the people still believe in being "an example for the children"... 8O
Well that's the only exception I also make.
If there are children seeing me on the crossing, I will behave like the good German citizen that I am not 8)

Galt

Post by Galt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 am

@ everybody

You guys are fun. Just to clarify a few points, when I say that a libertarian justice system will primarily be comprised of fines, forced labor and executions, I am not describing a system but rather a predictable market trend. I am not condoning anything, I am simply speculating. See the difference?

Now let me explain why I make those predictions, taking the example of forced labor:

Imagine a person of medium income, who one night gets shit-faced, causes a car crash that totals 5 cars. For simplicity's sake, let's assume that no one is injured. At this point, the man owes $X, but how much exactly? The cost of repairing or replacing the cars, that much is certain, but what about damages? Either he and the offended can come to some agreement, at which point everybody walks away happy, or no agreement can be found. Enter the private court system...

You with me so far?

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:49 am

I see you've picked an example which is pretty close to what we have now.

In this case, insurance companies duke it out for damages. The difference being there would be no criminal charges for the fact he was drunk, just that his insurance company probably wouldn't pay up. Correct?

What if someone mugs a little old lady on the street?
What if someone murders their partner?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:49 am

Galt wrote:@ everybody

You guys are fun. Just to clarify a few points, when I say that a libertarian justice system will primarily be comprised of fines, forced labor and executions, I am not describing a system but rather a predictable market trend. I am not condoning anything, I am simply speculating. See the difference?

Now let me explain why I make those predictions, taking the example of forced labor:

Imagine a person of medium income, who one night gets shit-faced, causes a car crash that totals 5 cars. For simplicity's sake, let's assume that no one is injured. At this point, the man owes $X, but how much exactly? The cost of repairing or replacing the cars, that much is certain, but what about damages? Either he and the offended can come to some agreement, at which point everybody walks away happy, or no agreement can be found. Enter the private court system...

You with me so far?
But there is already a seperation into a civil and a criminal justice system, exactly for this reason.
So the only thing that should effect his ciminal sentencing (IMO) should be the drunk driving. The damages to be paid should be determined in a civil court.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 am

andydes wrote: What if someone mugs a little old lady on the street?
What if someone murders their partner?
Good examples: I think paying a fine for crimes like this would be outragous, but sending them directly to forced labour camps?! 8O

And just to show my bleeding heart liberal stance: I think re-education and reintegration into society should be the main focus of the penal system.
This whole punishment things reeks to me of revange and the middle ages!
Last edited by TomViolenz on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galt

Post by Galt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:53 am

TomViolenz wrote:
Galt wrote:@ everybody

You with me so far?
But there is already a seperation into a civil and a criminal justice system, exactly for this reason.
So the only thing that should effect his ciminal sentencing (IMO) should be the drunk driving. The damages to be paid should be determined in a civil court.
I would do away with criminal sentencing altogether. If all offended parties are content with the settlement, no harm no foul.