Recording Virus into Ableton as Audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jay_NJ

Recording Virus into Ableton as Audio

Post by Jay_NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Well, I've officially given up on trying to get virus control to work for my desktop virus. So, I've decided to give it a go with midi and analog audio. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a problem here. Hopefully someone with some experience can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Gear being used:

- Novation Impulse 49
- Virus TI desktop
-Saffire 6 usb interface

Current setup:

- Impulse connected to imac via usb
- midi in/out from Saffire 6 to virus ti
- analog audio out l and r from virus to saffire 6

With this setup I'm able to play the virus using the Impulse. The problem is that I'm not able to record any audio. I've created an audio track, and set the 'in' to be channel 1 and 2 from the saffire. As soon as I click the record button, all I get is a loud burst of white noise.

If anyone has any ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated. Feel free to let me know if I'm going about this in totally the wrong way.

Thanks!
Last edited by Jay_NJ on Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Because789

Re: Recording Virus into Ableton as Audio

Post by Because789 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Jay_NJ wrote: Current setup:

- Impulse connected to imac via usb
- midi in/out from Saffire 6 to virus ti
Where is the audio from the virus going to? I guess you need to route it via your interface into Live.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Jay_NJ

Post by Jay_NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Oh sorry, yeah that would help, I have two analog audio outs going directly from the Virus into the saffire.

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Have you tried it with an External Instrument device?

- load External Instrument device to midi track
- "MIDI to" --> Saffire midi
- "Audio from" --> appropriate Saffire audio channels

Do you get sound like this?
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Jay_NJ

Post by Jay_NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Haven't tried external instrument device, but that at least sounds promising. I'll give it a try when I get home from work and will reply with the results. Thanks!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:06 pm

External instrument is essential for playing the virus, especially if you want to avoid latency issues.

A good way is to set up two tracks

1) A midi track with external instrument. In external instrument, set up midi to and audio from as Because789 suggested

2) Then set up an audio track with monitor set to in

Group them.

Arm the midi track and play the Virus, recording the MIDI into the external instrument track. This way you can edit the MIDI if you want to.

Then when satisfied with the MIDI, play the virus with the MIDI track and record the sound into the audio track.

Jay_NJ

Post by Jay_NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks guys, this sounds like the perfect solution. Appreciate the help.

[mal]

Post by [mal] » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi,

Wanted ask the Virus users if you have tried this options text to avoid latency since it is mentioned here by the Finn:

- Generate an options.txt file. Info on how this is done can be found here: https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/
- enable the option "-NoMidiMonitorLatencyCompensation" in the Options.txt file. This will record notes exactly where you play them

I would really interested in your findings here so please drop me a mail at mal@ableton.com with your results.

Cheers
Mads