Track soloing using Arrangement Record

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Ch.Andrew

Track soloing using Arrangement Record

Post by Ch.Andrew » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:30 pm

When I'm making music with Live I like to set up a bunch of clips in Session view and then improvise with them, recording the results into Arrangement view. However, I have one problem when I do this: my use of the solo button isn't recorded into Arrangement view. If I were just soloing one track for a couple of bars, this wouldn't be a problem, since I could just go into Arrangement view and punch it in and out, but what I like to do is solo multiple tracks at once, one at a time, so things slowly build up... which is sort of complicated to replicate in Arrangement view. Has anyone else run into this problem, or does anyone have a simple, musical fix?

mode:masters

Re: Track soloing using Arrangement Record

Post by mode:masters » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:01 am

Track solos can't be recorded, only speaker on/off (track mutes)

I just tested this on Live 9.0.6. At first I thought it was possible, but if you look at the parameters in the mixer section of the automation lanes you will see solos do not appear.

So maybe just do the same with the track mutes instead.

cottonrich

Post by cottonrich » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 pm

While this topic is fresh, I have a related query.

In arrange view, I want to have just 1 bar in one of the tracks soloed ie everything else is silenced apart from this one bar. I know I can manually draw in the envelopes on all the other tracks but is there a simpler way I'm not aware of? Thank you Ableton family!

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 am

make a scene which is playing only what you want or
make automations bring down the volume of all unwanted or
map one key to off the track volumes you want take off (call it inverted solo ?)
or put the solo in the minus midi-bar - so when you start the scene in will start
at the -1 bar and all other get started at 0 until you start the scene again.

cottonrich

Post by cottonrich » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Thank you Tagor. I had thought of some of these but was wondering what the quickest way is in Arrange view. Does inverted solo exist?