Important: Changes to Community Guidelines

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

regretfullySaid

Re: Important: Changes to Community Guidelines

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:09 am

Yeah, that works.
ImageImage

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:29 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:The sooner Ableton ban discussion of music theory the better.

Or maybe they could just stop miserable trolls from slagging off innocent people! Hey, there's a thought!

:!:
What's so innocent about you? You don't know theory, and are attempting to teach it to other people.
I'm sorry, the theory you "invented".
It's a real head scratcher.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:03 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:And I challenge you or Strapper to find any mistakes in my tutorials. In fact I've begged people to.
Numerous people on this forum and KVR have pointed out the mistake:

The entire approach is a mistake!

Clearly illustrated by this delusional remark:
Funk N. Furter wrote:So I turned months of memorising into a 5 minute job, from scratch.
Bullshit. Nothing replaces hard work in any field. This is the stuff of get-rich-quick schemes and silver bullet self-help solutions. It's nonsensical and anyone who studies the science of pedagogy will say the same.

Sustained exposure to musical concepts through reading, writing, and most importantly hearing them is what allows people to absorb and retain musical information.

Your self-described "paint by number" method is little more than a trick that will foster only rote mimicry and no real understanding of music.

And if you had much more than a cursory understanding of it yourself then you would know that what I'm saying is true.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:32 am

Let me ask you a question funken:

How much theory did you study to make that dance music you posted?

I ask the question because if the answer is "none" and your tutorials are aimed at people wanting to make similar dance music (which you have implied here or outright stated at KVR) then why did you feel the need to create a music theory tutorial in the first place?
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:45 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:And I challenge you or Strapper to find any mistakes in my tutorials. In fact I've begged people to.
Don't start the tutorial telling people that "All the white notes form the scale A minor. This is our starting point for all the major and natural minor scales."
This is wrong, it's not, and it's going to cause problems later on for your students.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:12 am

Funk N. Furter wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
n8tron wrote:If your bass line and stabs are midi then just change every C# to C, every F# to F, and every G#to G (basically any black keyboard notes to white). If the bass line is recorded audio, cut up each note that hits a C#, F#, or G# and again transpose it down 1 semitone. If the stabs are audio and they are major chords, then the only way to do this is with Melodyne with direct note access. Your results may vary...
He wanted to go from A minor to A major. You're taking him from A major to A minor.
bicarbone wrote:Well, you can shift your bass line and stabs 3 semitones down (i.e to the left) and then your song will be in F# minor. That should sort of work in theory, because F# minor is the minor relative scale to the A major scale. Anyway, listen and see if you like it.
Might sound cool, but essentially changes the "tonal" center in the bass line from A to F# while the upper part is still centered on A. Regardless of whether they share a key signature, the parts will be orbiting around two different central tones.

And for the record, as gjm hinted, this would not be transposition. Transposition is when the intervallic content of a pitch collection, melody, or chord progression remains the same while the pitches themselves are shifted by some interval. What adonis wants is a modal shift. To change from a minor mode to its parallel major mode.
Have you any idea how pretentious and unhelpful this sounds to a beginner?

just for the record, I am a beginner, and I find that extremely helpful

thanks for reposting!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 am

Anyway

A quick question

Does it look like the ban on politics is having the desired effect?

Galt

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:26 am

Funken is posting tunes again. This is a huge win for David, if you ask me.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:And stop this nonsense, because in all your slagging me down, there is NOTHING SPECIFIC. NOTHING REAL.
Uh no, you just left out some choice specific parts I addressed. Somewhere around page 12 I think.
Unsound Designer

Galt

Post by Galt » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 pm

At one point, someone here is going to have to be the bigger man.

FFS.

:x

andydes

Post by andydes » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Galt wrote:At one point, someone here is going to have to be the bigger man.

FFS.

:x
:lol:

Yes, of course, sooner or later someone's bound to back down, because that's what always happens on the internet.

Personally, I don't see a problem with Funken posting tutorials about an "easy way" to get started making music.

But I also don't have a problem if someone disagrees with it and says so.

Blown out of proportion as usual.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm

He takes it so personally doesn't he?

And subsequently has to resort to responding on a personal level (remarks about egos, etc.).

It's ok. Time's ticking. Won't be long now.

:mrgreen:
Unsound Designer

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:I could have done geol or geog A-levels with my eyes closed.

But I learned the basics when I was about 10-14. That was where I got my interest. Did I learn a simplified version? No doubt. I won the Geography prize at one of the top schools in England without even trying. I still have the collection of rocks and fossils I collected as a kid.
geology !! :D

i wouldnt want to derail this thread from the argument currently occurring but i loved geology when i was at school. geography a bit but geology was well interesting. i didnt do to well at the a-level and so ended up not pursuing it any further. though i'm still personally interested in it to a fair degree.

i like a nice geode. and the reniform and botryoidal shape of pure haematite is wonderful to see

and my rock and fossil collection is still slowly growing. the north east coast of yorkshire yields some interesting items : whitby jet, cornelian, and the limestone at dane's dyke which worms have burrowed into

it's getting near christmas so i got to go out and do some shopping. but i may just go to the pub. or play on my bass :wink: :|